SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pianodoctor

Garden soil+ what?= cactus soil (outdoors)

pianodoctor
17 years ago

Hi, I am changing over a rather large planting zone over to cactus/succulents. I have cleared away about 3/4 of the existing commercial garden soil mix, because I figure I can use the remainder as the brown stuff as a portion of the new soil. The soil should not be too rich as it hasn't been fed in quite a while.

The question is, what should I use to fill the remaining volume? Chicken grit was previously suggested but I can't seem to find it locally. Some kind of construction sand was also suggested, but the terminology used for it did not match anything I could find at Home Depot.

Is there a specific substance I can find at Home Depot or similar mainstream store for this purpose? I need to know what Home Depot would actually call it. I will need an awful lot of it, so it can't be anything too expensive.

One nursery suggested I can simply use bark mulch. I've bought cactus in bark mixes before and they seemed OK, but they were potted and this is a raised bed and a Mediterranean climate, so I dunno. Any yeas or nays on the bark idea?

Comments (4)