SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banzaiengr

Being Played By Local Landscape Company?

banzaiengr
4 years ago

We have a lawn irrigation system. The company that put it in and had been doing all of our maintenance sold their customer list to another company. The new company, River City Lawnscapes, Inc. out of Holmen, WI was to honor all previous prepaid maintenance plans from the company they purchased the list from.

I have generally always had the original company do a spring set up and then a fall blow out. A few seasons I just had a fall blow out done. Last fall while completing the fall blow out the technician broke the main valve that comes out of the house taking out the drain plug. He came to the door and told my wife what had happened and indicated to her that he would let his boss know so it could be taken care of. When I returned home I called the original company and told them what had happened and was ensured that it would be taken care of in the spring.

A couple of months later I received the notification for 2019's maintenance and choose a spring start up and fall blow out. I returned my choice with payment.

A couple more months go by and I get a letter from the original company stating that they had been bought by River City Lawnscape. It stated that all previous maintenance programs scheduled for 2019 would be honored and gave a phone number and contact person.

A month ago I called River City Lawnscape and scheduled the start up. I also told them about what had happened in the fall. When the technician showed up he told me he was told the drain plug was broken. He didn't have the equipment to fix the valve and said that they would get back to me. Two more weeks go by and I have heard nothing. I call River City Lawnscape and tell them what had happened. I'm told that they can schedule a day to fix the valve and do the start up but that I would be responsible for payment of the part and for labor.

I ask to speak to the owner or to her supervisor. I'm connected with the voice mail for Drew and I leave a message detailing the issue.

The next day I call back and leave another message. Later I receive a call from Drew. I'm told that they only purchased the customer list and they are not responsible for damage caused by the original company. He states that I will have to pay for the part and labor. I ask him if he really wants to lose a customer over this issue. I'm thinking that with good service I will keep them for as long as I own the property doing any maintenance on the irrigation system. He says that he sorry to hear that but yes I'll have to pay for the valve to be fixed.

Now here's the real deal. I prepaid for a spring start up and fall blow out. But before the spring start up can be done the valve has to be fixed. This company knows this, knows I've prepaid and is thinking that I'll just roll over and pay for damage that was no fault of mine.

I have since written a letter to River City Lawnscape, Inc. asking for a refund of my original payment since that was not the agreement I had with the original company when I prepaid for the startup.

What are my options here? River City Lawnscape could have taken care of the valve, a 35 dollars part and they charge 65 dollars/hour labor. They would have then had a long term customer for maintenance and repairs for years to come. Instead they think they can coerce me into having them fix and then me paying for it so that I can get the maintenance done that I have already paid for.

Comments (2)