SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenjean2

Can I add grout when it's already dry?

greenjean2
4 years ago

We just re-grouted our bathroom floor tile because the cheap grout we started with came out white when it should've been gray (big box store....). Yes, we dug it all out and started over....Anyway, I did the re-grouting myself. I'm a rookie. Oh, and this is a bathroom remodel, so the tile was newly installed. Grout hasn't been sealed yet. It's a sanded grout. 12 x 24 tiles.

There are a few spots where the grout looks like it sunk in a little too much for my taste. Yes, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but it almost seems like someone barefoot could stub a toe! What I'm wondering is whether I can

(a) add more to the surface as a filler? or

(b) should I be scraping out this section (it's only about a 6-inch section) to a certain depth first? I'm concerned it will flake off if it's not deep enough.

(c) since I'll have to remix a small amount of the grout to do this...could it look a shade different in the new section?

(d) If I do remove some grout, is there a chance there will be a line/crack between the old and new section of grout?

I'm hoping someout out there has some experience with this.

The only reason this bothers me so much, is that the grout lines are wider than I had hoped they would be ...they are almost 1/4" wide, so this flaw is more noticeable. (another long story about cheaper tile + not knowing to ask for 1/16 spacers rather than the standard 1/8 spacers + and non-english-speaking installers who didn't think to ask.....)

Hope the pictures can help display the issue...hard to get that close with an iphone and have it come out clear. The lines/striations you see in the grout was from a light scraping I did with a wire brush to remove some of the "efflorescence" (white stuff on the surface) that occurred from using too much water during install. And, no, that scraping was not hard enough to remove that much grout in that spot. :) And the chip in the foreground happened when we were removing the old grout....it's been a fun remodel :(

thanks in advance for your input !

Comments (5)