SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jon_biddenback

How to add chicken manure when I've already retired the garden?

Jon Biddenback
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've got some hard clay that needs a lot of amendment. I've been trying to cold compost in place since summer; last week I buried this year's plot and the ones I want to use next year in wood chips from a tree trimming service. I'm trying to insulate to ease the freeze, so the worms and stuff that are moving back in can stay in, and stay active.

My mother in law is cleaning her chicken coop next week, so I may be coming into some dried chicken manure. I'd like to add it to the plots for March, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I could try pulling the mulch back and spreading the manure under it, but that's a few tons of wood chips that I don't want to move by hand again.

I'm wondering if it would be effective to break the dried manure up fine, sprinkle it over the top of the mulch, then water heavily to drive the particles (or gooey slurry as it rehydrates) downward. Is rehydrated chicken manure likely to make it down through 3-4 inches of wood chips? Will it have any significant effect on the breakdown speed of wood chips for 3-4 months of temps near the freezing point? Will it have any significant effect on the OM and the ground beneath the wood chip mulch?

Comments (17)