SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indierhythm

Art Lighting Advice

indierhythm
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all, in less than a week my condo will be gutted for a renovation. Cement walls and ceiling. Next week is my only opportunity for digging into the cement and making changes with lighting and electrical while the floors are torn out.

Finalizing the lighting plan and trying to decide on best locations for the recessed art lights. I have to work with the hollow areas in the ceiling so my options are limited.

I know it is best is when you can create a 30 degree angle from the light to the center of the art. Unfortunately I don’t have that "best" option with the two very large pieces of art in my living room.

I’m commissioning two pieces of art from my favorite local artist… For the one that will be approximately 58” x 58” -- ideal is 24-25" from the wall, but my only good option is having the light 33” from the wall. Since that piece is so high/wide, and I’m using only 1 light, it will probably be okay and still need a beam spread of about 50 degrees.

The other one is over 7 feet wide and will be between 33" and 42” high. It is taped out here 10” above top of sofa, and at 42” high… the mini splits will go away (any opinions on that size welcome too… I wonder if less high , more narrow, more white space above would be more interesting). I will install two lights – ideal distance from wall is 24-25, but my options are 21.5” from the wall or 33.5” from the wall.

I understand that if the lights are too close, they can cast a shadow and if they are too far they can cause glare. This will be acrylic on canvas (maybe 1" deep?) with no additional frame, no glass.

Last question -- if you want to highlight very tall vertical piece of art – something 85 inches high by only 15 or 30 inches wide…I'm having some sliding doors made that an artist will paint and these are the sizes they will be when opened left and right and sit along the wall -- is the best way to do that with a light very close to the wall to keep the spread focused and more of a graze downward? Will this work or would it be better to skip that idea entirely?

Pics below. Thank you in advance for your insights!

Comments (8)