SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Reminder during the HOT HOT HOT weather we're having

dirtygardener
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Some of you Florida newbies don't understand how harsh our summer can be. We're having temps in the mid-to-high 90s throughout the week and into the low 100s in N. Florida in the next 10 days. I'm sure it will be hotter further south. During this heat, there are a few rules that will help you save some of your plants, and maybe yourself.

1) Unless they are succulents or cacti, water your container plants lightly every day. No need to water them until water flows out the bottom, but water is going to evaporate from their pots very quickly, so daily watering is necessary.

2) Squirting a bit of dishwashing liquid on the top of the pots or into your watering can acts as a surfactant and helps water "stick" to the soil so they don't dry out as fast. Also, you can use water retaining beads, or if you have diapers, the water-retaining gel in those works just as well. You can buy 3 diapers for $1 at most dollar stores. Mulching larger containers with trees, or anything that doesn't completely cover the soil is essential, especially if the plant is potbound.

3) Erect temporary shade over any plant that cannot take the intense heat and sunshine. Yes, this includes vegetable gardens, even those plants that require full sun. Our sun is not like summer sun up north, and it can burn or even kill veggie plants, especially young plants.

4) Bring tender potted plants indoors if you can't give them deep shade, especially tender tropicals. Remember that a lot of cacti and succulents cannot withstand the summer sun, so put them in deep shade or bring them in.

5) Make sure your pets and wildlife have plenty of water in shaded places so they can drink when they wish. You may hate squirrels, but I'm sure none of you want them to suffer dying of thirst. Set up trays of water with sand & small and larger pebbles in them for bees, butterflies and lizards. Don't leave large containers of water outside without a stick in them so lizards and smaller mammals going after water won't drown.

6) Last, but definitely not least, STAY HYDRATED, even indoors. You should drink half your body weight in water every day. I know that seems like a lot for those "fluffy" ones like me, but 8 glasses a day wont' be enough. Your a/c will be working overtime and the air can become horribly dry. Put trays of water around your house or run a humidifier at night to prevent sore throats from breathing in dry night air. USE SUNSCREEN and cover up as much as is comfortable outdoors.

Stay safe everyone. It's going to be a horrendous scorcher of a summer.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations