SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) Sanity in the garden

I was reading the news and discovered that someone has just paid 91 million (dollars? euros? pounds? who cares?) for a silver rabbit. This is just the latest discussion point in a widespread debate about our current economic system, but I see many reports of human behavior in the worlds of fashion, fad, and celebritydom that strike me as more or less crazy. I like, and consider healthy, a degree of silliness and subversion, but please, on a more modest budget both of energy and wealth.

Gardening is grounding, in every sense. It's slow. It's a lot of repeated activity--weeding, pruning, digging--with subtle variations. It requires engagement and physical effort. It's quiet: no screams, no explosions. It's tactile: the feel of soil, foliage, thorns, grass, mulch, buds and flowers, one's tools and gloves. I can feel them all in my imagination as I sit and type. Gardening engages most of the senses, in fact: visual (of course), tactile, auditory, olfactory for sure, and even gustatory, if you've had the foresight to plant strawberries and figs, and know that chickweed, violets, and wild hops are edible. It also changes one's attitude in many ways. I think most gardeners, however lightning-struck at the start by visions of glory, come to see gardening as a process, in which the work they do, and the patterns of seasonal change, and development of the garden over time, become as important as the beauty that results.

I find media loud and frenetic; I may simply be poorly adapted to them. I don't watch TV, and I find advertising insane. I think humankind has swung in late decades into a dangerously eccentric orbit. Perhaps there are millions, or billions, of people like me, who don't participate much in and aren't reported on by the media. So I don't know how much company I have. I do think that gardening, because of its physicalness and leisurely unfolding of results, its connection with the world of nature, its objectivity--no amount of sweet-talk will fool a rose into flowering--constitutes a panacea, that is, a cureall, for those who engage in it; that it restores people to a healthier way of being human.

Comments (15)