SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_56065369

Help! Our couch took over our living room!

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We have a smaller living room that's kind of awkward to decorate or arrange. We recently got a new sectional that ended up looking much larger in the room than we had anticipated! (We did measure...but it still ended up bigger than we expected, probably because the overstuffed cushions just look much bulkier in our small room.)

We have two dogs and two kids, so we like having the floor in front of the sectional open so we can play and roll around on the floor. However, my mother recently commented that she thinks we need a coffee table, and now I can't get the idea out of my mind. Still, every seat on the sectional reclines, and we have strategically placed cup holders and an end table so that there are places to put drinks no matter where you're sitting.

What do you think? Do we need a coffee table?

Comments (45)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

It's WAY too big, sorry.

It's all wrong for the space. No sectional, no overstuffed cushioned, no reclining chairs, no dark leather. You don't need a coffee table- you need a new sofa! No amount of decorating or other pieces are going to take away from the fact that the sofa is just too large for the space.

• jay06
    4 years ago

If you're comfortable with the current ability to place drinks and/or snacks nearby, I wouldn't get a coffee table. It would be really hard to navigate around the room with another piece of furniture in there.

• Related Discussions

Our pets enrich our lives and help define us.

Q

Comments (6)
    Gandie, I got a chuckle when you said our pets help define us. I had a much-loved Amazon Parrot for 13 years, acquired when my son went off to school and I was working mostly at home. He was delighted to find and of course send to me this quote from Mark Twain: "She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the type of woman who kept parrots." Ny son and I agreed the quote fit me quite well. ~grin~ josh
    ...See More

Please help - Best location in our living room for TV?

Q

Comments (2)
    Does your TV have to be in the living room? I don't know your layout, but since that's the room that opens to the kitchen, what if you made it your dining room, with your china cabinet on one short wall and your sideboard on the other, and turned your dining room into a den and TV room? Would your way of living work with such an arrangement?
    ...See More

Help! Designing our Living Room/Dining Room!

Q

Comments (6)
    I think the piece the TV is on would feel more at home in the basement with the chunky coffee table. Your home looks to be more contemporary in style except for the stair railing and the big empty display/bookcase. Do you have the budget to remove the built-in? That would give you some wall space for furniture and art. What is the exterior style of your home? Can you pull off a contemporary interior design and not stray too far from the look of the house outside? I don't think the DR is large enough to add more furniture there. I suggest a great piece of art and a rug that is 36-42" larger than your table top on every side. Pull the same colors into the LR with big art on the wall opposite the FP and above a 3-seat sofa where the built-in is. You can do another rug in the LR that is similar in style and color to the DR rug. For example, here are two navy rugs that could work together. The top one picks up your wall color, and the bottom one picks up on the fireplace stone.
    ...See More

10 yrs and I still can’t get our living room right - HELP PLS

Q

Comments (57832)
    Hi Seajay! I am glad to see you are making progress! It is very rainy here today on the Gulf coast! I have a contractor remodeling our master bath right now! The soak tub has been converted to a walk-in shower. And the old shower is being framed as a closet! They have been here since Tuesday, and they are almost done today! Yay! The painter we are hiring just called and wants to start next Tuesday! OMG, my head is spinning!😂🤣😂
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately we are going to have to live with it for a while. We can't return it, so we're going to have to make it work.

Color-wise, we can paint the room to make the sofa fit better. What colors would you recommend?

Given that it's so big, is a coffee table definitely out?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've also thought about some nicer TV trays that we could take out as needed, but also stow away out of sight most of the time...

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

No, you do not need a coffee table.

I have some suggestions, however, if you don’t mind which could make the room feel bigger.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

JudyG, yes, definitely open to suggestions!!! We already ordered some different window coverings that we just haven't installed yet (cellular shades to help with insulation and light filtering, since this room gets full sun all afternoon). Maybe some mirrors on the wall? Open to anything!

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any other ideas to help the room look bigger?

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

"when you can see out no one can see in." I think this needs to be qualified somewhat because in daylight, if someone is near the window, they can see outside and be seen by passersby. In full sun, the room may be obscured to passersby but on cloudy days, I can see most of my living room from the street.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

This is an accurate description of what light does to windows:

https://www.wired.com/2010/01/seeing-through-windows-light-and-dark/

• Kathy Furt
    4 years ago
    So bad so big so dark so poofy ♀️♀️♀️
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    4 years ago

Sweet Jesus!

LOL!

My husband would LOVE this, ha!

John, just my opinion.

I'd remove everything, and I mean everything under the tv and keep it "floating," per inspiration pic. Keep it airy.

Since it's a sectional, can you remove any part of it and put a chunk in another room? Does it have to be U-shaped?

Not only do I emphatically vote NO to the coffee table, I would ditch the other 2 tables as well if there are indeed enough flat surfaces.

Would also remove all the scattered, choppy looking rugs and put one enormous one down that goes under the sectional.

2 kids and 2 dogs?

Don't take the whole thing too seriously, enjoy your living room, make popcorn, have pillow fights, pop in a great movie and have some fun.

This time will fly by.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

LOL with Janie. Yes, this looks like a piece of furniture my DH would pick. Big, beefy, and all-reclining. We have a very large living room in our new home and DH thought something like this would be ideal. However, he had another think coming!

I understand the functionality and comfort of a reclining sectional, but I dug in my heels and did NOT purchase one.

I agree with no tables (your mother may be of the generation which grew up with coffee tables in every living room they ever saw) and one large rug to unify the space. (The smaller rugs chop up your room and make it look even smaller.) And I can easily imagine rough and tumble play in front of the couch - a convenient location for it. And fun!

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I agree with Janie about keeping the TV wall streamlined. I'd opt for one big piece of art on the wall rather than multiple pieces. One wall colour, one large rug - streamline all other elements in the room and everything's bound to look more cohesive and intentional. Still, have you considered selling it if it's still new and in good shape? Sometimes, we don't have to live with our decor "mistakes". And if this "mistake" is as super comfy as it looks, well, there's way worse things in life. :) As Janie said, enjoy it with your family.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

One rug and one color on walls. Do Judy's suggestion on TV wall, the shelves from wall to door frame. Keep shelves on the narrower side. Doing that floor to ceiling shelves will help balance the sofasaurus. After that is done, hang art with purpose. Much closer and please (you may need new art.... fun fact: kids are world's best abstract artistes).....don't sprinkle it about.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Part of the reason we went with a sectional (and one with a usable wedge piece) was so that we could have seating for as many people as possible in this space when entertaining. (We don't entertain often, but when we do, it's not abnormal for a dozen or more people to show up, which is a lot for our small house.) So I don't know if I really like the suggestion of moving a part of it to another room.

I think I wouldn't be so anxious about the size if it just weren't so bulky! It did not seem this bulky on the showroom floor!!

I like the idea of painting the walls lighter, getting a lower profile white fan, and switching the rugs. What about a mirror on the wall? If we get a mirror, which would be better -- one larger mirror, or several smaller decorative mirrors?

• tqtqtbw
    4 years ago

Maybe your mother doen't realize that all the seats recline.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

No small mirrors, "small" being the key word. No small rugs. No small pictures. No small foo-foo décor items.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Since we're on the topic of rugs, which would be better for this space -- one with a geometric pattern, or a solid color?

4 years ago

John,

A nice full length mirror by the front door with a flat surface is always nice and appreciated, but no small mirrors scattered, ditto to what littlebug posted.

Can the store you bought it from install legs?

Is there anyway you can remove a part of the sectional and simply put it back when you do have company?

Something like this isn't conducive to company if the object is to interact and visit with one another because everyone is forced to look sideways at one another.

You're all lined up in a row.

This is more "movie theater" which is great if that is what you do when you have company, sit around and watch tv.

Please don't be anxious and stress yourself out, but also understand, there is nothing that is substantially going to "make the room feel bigger" other than removing this enormous, disproportional, poofy sectional.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

John, I like the natural fiber rug (such as sisal or seagrass) in Judy's photo with the white throw on the sofa. Ballard Designs has some nice ones.

• User
    4 years ago

It looks like it seats 4 1/2 people, with the 1/2 person squashed into the corner. And if all the seats recline, how can anyone talk to anyone else?

• Kathy Furt
    4 years ago
    SW alabaster is a beautiful creamy white that would help a little. One color on the tv wall too.
  • queenvictorian
    4 years ago

If you can't return it, you could mitigate its hugeness by scaling up things around it, as others have mentioned - big rug, big arts, and a big TV.

Could you swing a bigger TV? I think that could help temper the scale imbalance. Current TV, I feel, makes the sectional feel extra massive because the TV:sectional ratio is off from the expected visual ratio (which requires less poofy/bulky sectional or bigger TV).

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Queenvictorian is right. You cannot put anything small in this room. Everything will be dwarfed by the sofa. Think BIG!

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

You needed a way bigger media cabinet anyway, no matter what kind of couch you got. Go to woodwaves.com and find the largest wall hung console you can. Aim for a light-toned wood.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

If your family likes to play and roll about on the floor,you probably want to avoid the scratchy natural fiber rugs. The style is a matter of preference, personally I'd prefer a strong pattern in the space. One without a center medallion or much of a border would be easiest to employ. Just make sure it is big enough. There are many great looking and soft indoor/outdoor rugs to consider as well.

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/bungalow-rose-vanburen-tribal-blueorangeblack-indooroutdoor-area-rug-w001395615.html?piid=1929066022 

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

If you can get rid of the fan altogether, do it and get the biggest arc lamp you can find. Send the torchiere to live with a starving student in the dorm.

This is 96" hanging media console from Woodwaves. A plain textured jute rug. Loft art from art.com in a masculine theme and sepia color to go with the sofa. Mud cloth pillows are bold enough to hold their own in this room.

You really don't need any other decor.

• njay
    4 years ago
    Can you relocate part of the sectional to another room? It would help considerably and it might allow enough space for a coffee table.
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

A coffee table with a reclining sofa is useless. It might look good, but it has to be moved out of the way every time you recline.

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

John, I hesitate to say this but here is my thought: Get rid of the sectional. It's too big, too dark, too ugly, and too overwhelming. It's just too much. I know you paid a good sum for it, but it does not work for what you want. As someone above me pointed, out a group of people interested in socializing with one another would never voluntarily choose to sit like this, close together, having to squirm around to talk and in general not having enough personal space around them. It would work better to just have comfy (and not overstuffed) chairs.

As much as this might hurt, seriously consider getting rid of it. Sell it or give it away on CL. Use the money that you are now considering spending on a coffee table, new art, etc. to replace the sectional. The pros here can guide you very well with smaller furniture that will look much airer and be much more conducive to entertaining. Sure, you will lose money. But don't throw good money after bad. Take your losses and move forward with something that will look good and be good for you. The money you lose you can consider the cost of an important, and likely not to be forgotten, lesson. And you'll be a lot happier in the long run, I think.

• erinsean
    4 years ago

I like Grovers suggestions.

• Hamma
    4 years ago

I'm with Aphaeaon this one. No one has died from sitting on the floor at an impromptu gathering, as far as I know. It's not the end of the world, if the party is lively...If it's dull, no fancy chairs will help. So, yeah, if I were you, I'd find a way to remove it from the room.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I decided you needed a touch more color in the room so I changed the art and moved an end table next to the couch.

• dyliane
    4 years ago

get rid of it

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Instead, I'd like to get rid of rude commenters.

Great ideas, grover. I hope he can incorporate some of them to mitigate the bulk of the sectional.

• jemimabean
    4 years ago

Have you had the sectional too long for the store to maybe let you swap it out for something else? This type sectional with the built-in cup holders, etc. are likely hard to make work in most rooms. We’ve had a sectional that we’ve LOVED (just regular sofa looking thing in some sort of microfiber) for the past eight years of raising our kids and we’ve loved the fact that we could all pile onto it with their various toys. But we’ve had it in big rooms that could accommodate a huge piece of furniture.

If you don’t think that you could swap this out, I absolutely think that you can improve the feel of the room by following the suggestions above. Good luck and report back!

• kmarissa03
    4 years ago

If you’re definitely keeping it, I agree with the suggestion to remove/relocate part of it. When you have a large group, just bring in chairs from elsewhere in the house.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Thanks for posting this. Maybe it will help others to avoid large, pouffy furniture. Never works. Maybe you have a basement it would fit better in and this room could be redone with furniture to scale of room? I will never understand why people don’t measure and do simple scale drawings to see what sizes fit in rooms. Baffling. Follow Judy’s kind suggestions.
  • User
    4 years ago
    Looks like a mans couch my dh had the 80s version when we married in 1990 I was a good wife n lived with it a decade lol. I hated it. You n significant other both like the couch so just enjoy. I like what others have suggested to help bring harmony to the room. At least it’s not blue I lived with blue leather bachelor man furniture for a decade . In a rustic house. You have media room couch in a mid century living room it’s never gonna work. So just Enjoy your family n friends n don’t fret the design
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks, everyone. I promise I did measure...it just didn't seem so large on the showroom floor! We ended up ordering online from Coleman Furniture because we found it for quite a bit cheaper, but it still cost a pretty a penny. I don't think it would be easy (or possible) to return.

I will try to incorporate some of these suggestions.
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Well, this company doesn't have a very generous return policy: 5 days from date of delivery! coleman furniture - returns and exchanges If you've had it less than a month and it's in perfect condition, try writing to them to see if they'd entertain an exchange.

Furniture never seems as large in a showroom because it's all open with high ceilings. Scale is tricky to determine in such settings. Your measurements weren't incorrect. You just couldn't visualize the visual weight of such a piece in your own living room.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I skimmed the repies….I woud do blinds or something where you could push the sectional against the wall. Is it pulled forward because of the curtains? You're losing valuable floor space.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

always, they are recliners, so pulled out to recline.

4 years ago

Hello,

Curious what you decided to do!

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996