SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Our pets enrich our lives and help define us.

gandle
17 years ago

When I stretch out on a couch to read, Spook the cat invariably jumps up on my lap and always has the same meow. I think it is a question, Leone says she is making a statement. Don't know which but it is comforting to have her dozing on my lap.

Last Saturday we were at the farm for belated thanksgiving celebration and I have the greatest picture of Moose, one of the Pyrennes dogs. this 145 lb. dog is sitting up with his front paws held out in front of him. No one ever taught him to do this. All he really seems to want is attention. He isn't begging for food, just pat my head please. When you look into the eyes of of this enormous dog you see gentle intellegence looking back at you. He loves people, adores cats he likes other dogs and just about every living thing except coyotes which he innately detests. No one had to teach him that, seems to be inbred. They have had absolutely no problem with coyotes with him there. I think the coyotes just get close enough to see him and say "I don't think so" and leave.

Years ago we had a very large black lab when we were living in the country, also we had lots of barn cats . At that time canned dog food was 9 cents a can, Crown Prince dog food that is. Every morning Leone would make a huge pan of steel cut oat meal, this was to feed us and there would be a lot left over in which the can of dog food was mixed. Rather strange syntax just then. The dog and cats were fed side by side and the dog would wolf down his share and watch the kittens. He always picked on one kitten, he would pick it up and push the kitten down in the oatmeal, he never would hurt it just dip it in food. then he would carry this kitten around in his massive mouth, never hurting the kitten who seemed resigned to this. The poor kitten never was completely clean like the rest of the cats but always had a little of its breakfast on it.

Wish I was intellegent enough to post this picture of the Pyrennes. If I could ever see someone do it I would know how but reading how to post pictures just doesn't do it for me. Don't understand the terms.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions