SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug9a

A rose for this spot

ladybug A 9a Houston area
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I will post the pictures in the comments as I cant seem to post here. This is the other part of my side bed by the driveway and inspired by Lisa, I would like to add a climber in the corner, by the gutter. I would like to train in up. Maybe a bit over the dining room windows you can see and the door to the garage on the left, so something g bigger. Not a house earr and no tree like trunks, but something manageable.Strong fragrance, not tea fragrance, is a must. Low thorniness will help. I already have lady of the mist along the wall, pic in comments.
Ple as e ignore the weeds, I so behind on maintanace.
Also, How do people train along brick walls?Thanks a lot for your input, your advice has been invaluable.

Comments (51)

• sharon2079
    5 years ago

David Austin has Mortimer Slacker, strong fragrance low thorn. Zéphirine Drouhin is a older Climbing Bourbon that has strong scent and also low thorn, also his sport Kathleen Harrop . Cornelia is another older rose... a musk, with strong scent, no thorns. Weeping China Doll has a nice spicy scent. Berries and Cream is a very pretty striped rose that is a climber, low thorn. Climbing pinkie is low thorn... some say it has some scent, but I can't smell it... though to be fair, I can't smell Fragrant Cloud. An early climbing HT with low thorn, strong scent is Comtesse de Turenne. There is also Climbing Cecile Brunner, but it might get to big. These are the only climbers that I can think of except the one I REALLY want and was bred by roseseek.... Annie Laurie McDowell. There are also some nice thornless large shrubs, but these are the only climbers that I can think of.... let everyone know what you choose, and don't forget to post a picture once it is growing happily in your spot ;)

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sharon2079
  • ladybug A 9a Houston area
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Than you so much Sharon, lots to think aboit.about. I have not heard about a couple of Rose's you mention, will look up.

Maybe the thorns wont be as much as an issue...I hope to keep t out of people's way. And even though I am super tolerant of blackspot and co. , the lade of the mist is so incredibly healthy, disease resistance is also a consideration.

But, fragrance trumps everything. Since the lady has a tea fragrance that I dont really care for, a large climber, with strong old rose fragrance and a bit of shade tolerance will be perfect.

• Related Discussions

Is it true? You can not plant a rose in a spot of another rose?

Q

Comments (7)
    I do it all the time and never have a problem. If the first rose had a serious disease or died in its spot, I probably would not, at least not until I had addressed the problem in some manner. I have been told that there is some question about the existence of rose replant disease even in Europe. While the problem does indeed occur, some think it is a result of certain fertilizing practices rather than an actual disease. No specific disease causing organism has been identified. Perhaps someone with more direct knowledge than I have will speak up. Rosefolly
    ...See More

Should I plant roses in this spot?

Q

Comments (8)
    I think pompanella would be a good choice as well, if you could sneak another one in I'd say Julia Child would be be pretty next to pompanella, their colors would be so pretty together. This might be off topic but does anyone know where one might find a pompanella this time of year, I've called or visited the website of everyone I can think of but nobody has it in stock! I really really wanted it this spring! Thanks all. Jessica.
    ...See More

Bare root rose having black spots

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, trim off any dead wood. You may lose those early leaves if you get another freeze but the roses should still be OK and leaf out again. If you know it's going to freeze can you move the pot into a garage or shed to protect it some?
    ...See More

My rose leaves are spotted then turned into holes . What issue is this

Q

Comments (1)
    google rose slugs and spidermites to determine which one is eating your roses
    ...See More
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Do you think Reine Des Violettes would work? I think it may be too small for the space, but not really sure of her size. I was thinking maybe a bit of contrast to the lady would be nice, and the fragrance:)

ETA: Maybe Felica or Cl crimson glory?

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Marlorena, I was thinking along similar lines of getting it above the windows and training on both directions. Was not sure how it would be done, thanks for that.

Researching now on what would be the best rose for that spot, fragrant and re blooming. Will check Wedgewood and LL.

I will only be planting in the fall, so have some time for research:)

• K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    4 years ago

Wedgewood is really beautiful -- a great suggestion. If you are looking for a red climber (I see you listed crimson glory as a possibility) with good fragrance, also check out Etoile de Hollande. It doesn't do well in all conditions, but if fragrance is a priority it is somewhat famous for that.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wedgewood looks beautiful, what is the fragrance like? Will the generous gardener or Nahema work for thos arearea and my climate?

• sharon2079
    4 years ago

I have Nahema... but I forget she is a climber... my wants to be a bush... it is low thorn not NOT no thorn.... but the thorns don't reach out and ATTACK SMELLS GREAT.... REALLY GREAT.... but the canes aren't really flexible... plus to me her leaves always look a little strange.... BUT.... don't let that discourage you.... Nahema is suppose to have leathery leaves.... and for me they look well part of the time... I do live on the Intracostal and when I get 30 to 40 mile an hour winds combined with the salt Nahema is the FIRST to balk.... I have learned to go out and immediately WASH the leaves with a hose.... Nahema and I are getting along much better.... his leaves aren't so bad.... and once he puts out his flush of great smelling roses ALL is forgiven. If you are really considering Nahema, I would say GO for it... I think the scent is the best... you won't be snagging clothes like on some roses... even though it has thorns they aren't bad.

Cool Roses carries this rose...

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sharon2079
  • weekend gardener
    4 years ago

Another possible rose is Mier y Teran, a Pioneer rose. I have it growing in entirely too much shade, so it almost certainly would perform better in your location. I’ve had it about four years and it’s grown one long arching cane with lots of long laterals that are very easy to bend and maneuver. It’s entirely healthy with large dark green leaves. No disease at all. No thorns, but there are tiny prickles under the leaves that I don’t find bothersome. The flowers are gorgeous. Shell pink and cream and very full. I’m not great at describing fragrance, but to my nose it smells similar to Souvenir de la Malmaison.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked weekend gardener
  • totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

How about James Galway? It is low thorn and shade tolerant and didease resistant. I fogot what the fragrance is.

Also look into the Ancient Mariner. Malorena has some great posts about this relatively new rose.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Is the ancient mariner a climber? Blooms look awesome.

Original Author
    4 years ago

weekend gardener, I am hoping for a more intense fragrance, I have sdlm, but fragrance is light and tea like.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, so after some thought, I am ok with a "normal" amount of thorns as long as it is strongly fragrant and disease resistant. Having a large climber all over the wall with spotty leaves wont be good.

A bit more on the location, this part of the house is the first you see of the house as the road curves. Our garage door just broke down and we need a new one. Planning on getting a dark grey one and in a few month painting all the exterior trim same color. The brick is an obnoxious orange pink color, so I need something to show against it. Whites and light beige end up looking dirty in the heat, so staying away from it

Not a fan of "tea" fragrance, cant smell most of the roses that are described as fruity etc.

Here is what I'm considering, no particular order, by color

1. Yellow: DA Pilgrim? The color would show well against the brick, but cant tell what the fragrance, rebloom and disease resistance is like

2. Pale Pink: The generous gardener: fragrance supposed to be good, touted as healthy. Not sure if the blooms will hold up?

James galaway: Looks perfect, is the fragrance strong? thanks for the suggestion totoro.

3. Laguna: again, supposed to be fragrant and healthy, not sure about red, but DH likes red or dark colors

4. Cl. Crimson glory: I have smelled this, and it is a good strong fragrance. Not sure about disease resistance.

Medium pinks and light orange etc probably will not show up at all against the strong brick color . Wedgewood rose is to die for, but fragrance is described as fruity? I'm afraid I dont smell most of those notes. I am looking for the old rose fragrance.

Any suggestions? Any other i should consider? Nahema? Etoile de Hollande? (disease issues?) Lavender Crush? (I found a shrub version at Lowes, is it the same as the climber?)

• totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

I don't have TAM or JG. I hear Nahema has a perfume fragrance. I don't think I will try LC because it does get blackspot.

You might also consider Spirit of Freedom as I believe it is disease resistant.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked totoro z7b Md
    4 years ago

Some people grow Gertrude Jekyll as a small climber. I'm not sure how big she would get for you because I give mine a stern pruning and frequent trims to keep her as a compact bush. I think her medium-fading-to-pale pink would stand out fine from your brick, and would look lovely with grey trim. Normal amount of blackspot for me -- definitely not among my worst roses. She gets a ton of sun here. Obviously we have very different conditions, so she might be just awful for you -- ask around your area. Her fragrance is WONDERFUL, intense, old rose scent. I use her to make rose jam because of it.

Original Author
    4 years ago

KS, how bad are the prickles onGJ? Yours is beautiful

4 years ago

She is quite thorny.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Learning towards Nahema, I think the light color will show ok against the brick, the fragrance is supposed to be strong. The leaves do look funky, but that should not be a big deal. Low thorn count will help.

Hope it will be big enough for the area.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm back to square on on this. I did get, and plant Nahema, a few months ago. unfortunately asked my DH to put her in and he planted her so low, water was pooling around her. So today got her out and trying to see if she will recover.

Meanwhile, I realized I need something with more vigor. The rose needs to get to a few feet before it starts getting good amount of sun. Back to the drawing board so to speak. Looking for fragrance, vigor, disease resistance and low thorn if possible! Whew, long list!! ContraContrast to the brick color is also important, would like to avoid medium pinks.

Wedgewood, Mortimer Sackler, Mier y Teran, James Galway from the suggestions above? I love how Cornelia looks, but I have doubts on how she would handle the heat. Same with the others. So hard to find what would work, and trial and error with climbers is even worse as it would take longer!

Balling is also an issue here, my Clothide balls like crazy.

Would love your suggestions or experience with the above or other you think may work. Thanks!!

Eta: maybe Lamarque should be on the list?

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

My Lamarque is growing fast, and wants to dominate his corner. I think he’s more of a house-eater in our zone.

I have both Cornelia & Felicia and can highly recommend both. They are healthy & happy, even in the summer. Felicia is just a tiny bit paler and pinker than Cornelia, who is a bit more peachy. Their sizes I think would work well in a corner. :-)

Cornelia, who smells just wonderful!

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Climbing Crimson Glory needs no introduction, but it is rather thorny. Magnificent fragrance. I would consider Cl. Orange Triumph (NOT ORANGE!!!) It has a sweet frangrance on small flowers that veer towards a muddied red colouring that would complement your brick well. This is not the orange/red of many modern roses which competes with all else for attention, but a deep red with brown underones. It's difficult to capture in pics unfortunately. Dream Land is a new favourite with big fluffy pale pink fragrant flowers. Somewhat thorny thus far. A medium pink that is doing great here is Setina, but I've only had her in the ground this year. wonderful vigour and beauty. Her flowers stand on shorter laterals like little candles on a Christmas tree. Personally, I loveMme. Alfred Carriere for fragrance, beauty and ease combined with vigour. I think she would look wonderful since she is a full rose with great foliage which really sets off her blooms and fantastic fragrance.

Ghislaine de Feligonde is my healthiest climber, although I'm not yet sure yet on re-bloom. Felicia is somewhat similar, but not as vigorous for me. Lisa grows this so perhaps she'll comment. Although I don't grow it, Spirit of Freedom was a great suggestion by totoro. If you like the pink colour of LLassie perhaps take a look at Cl. Pink Pet. It has a wafting clove fragrance in my garden, but its scent eludes many. This rose is low thorn with rock solid health and heavy constant bloom for me. However, as a sport, I'm not sure of its re-bloom. Have you considered another small-flowered rose such as Cl. Cecile Brunner or Jean La Joie? Perhaps some will comment on how large the former would grow in your zone. There are others, but without growing them myself I'm reluctant to recommend them. Pictures to follow.

P.S. I'm planting our RdeV next spring, but it may not be tall enough for your spot and may not bloom as much as you'd like.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I think with a good foliage the contrast with the brick is not as important. Take a look at the climbers grown at Mottisfont, for example. I'd be more concerned with clashing , but everything you grow is lovely so I'm sure whatever you pick will be wonderful! : ))

• User
    4 years ago

Not one person has suggested 'Renae' for a Houston TX climate?? Its graceful, thornless, vigorous and very fragrant. What more could you want?

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked User
    4 years ago

Oh yeah! Renee. I forgot about that one because I think it's too tender for my zone and I don't grow it but Lilly Finch loved it in her Tennessee Garden.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Paul and Vapor, I got Renee earlier this year for my pergola, planted her and a bit of setback with blackspot defoliating her. Hopefully she will do well in that spot. She looks amazing and I have high hopes for her:)

Perma, very tempting to get either cornelia or felicia, but I think I need something that is larger. MAC maybe.

This is the first thing you see when driving up to the house. I need a "statement" rose!!

Vapor, agree that foliage is important, if there is healthy foliage, color may be less important, but not sure if I would like a small flowered rose for this spot.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Well, MAC is definitely larger...house eater large without winter to nip it back. My MAC is probably the biggest “baby” I have right now, needing repotting every couple months. GOT to get her in the ground ASAP.

I think Felicia could be a gorgeous focal point—her blush tinted blooms come in huge trusses, and the fragrance is to die for. Hopefully Lisa will add her thoughts, since her Felicia is more mature. :-)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a picture that I took late evening after our garage door was installed. The are does get afternoon sun. The rose will be behind the little pony wall to the right of the picture by the door .
    Trim, siding etc needs to be painted, most probably in a warm dark grey in a couple of months. Light will be changed out. I need something vigorous enough to get high, I plan to use wall hooks to train.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Garage door looks great! Is there room to have the Rose drape over the wall? I’ve always loved that look! :-)

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    4 years ago

What about Allister Stella Gray? It is very healthy here in Houston for me. It is a rose that continues to bloom throughout the summer months, although the flowers will be smaller then. It can start out fairly orangey yellow, but the flowers do fade to cream - very quickly in the summer but more slowly in the cooler months. Mine does get afternoon sun, but it does not have to deal with reflected heat from bricks like the rose you choose for your space will have to do. I also think it has a nice fragrance - not tea like to my nose.

I have also seen Lamarque trained on the porch railing of Champney's Green at the Antique Rose Emporium. It looks like a mannerly climber there, but I have no experience growing it. I do remember that it was nicely fragrant.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    4 years ago

Setina.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Perma, the door you kinds see near the wall is used multiple times a day, that is the door I use everyday. Due to the incompatibility of my driving skills and the curved driveway to the garage, I usually park outside and go in that way. Near the door I would not want a rose, esp if it is thorny as the clearance is only a few inches and my boys are super clumsy, I can see the falling into thorns regularly.

Plantloverkat, Allister is a beautiful color, does it get large? Thorns?

Vapor, is that your Setina? I think I had asked about her a while ago on this forum, cant recollect responses. She is absolutely gorgeous. Is she thorny?

Blackspot is a big issue here, I dont spray, and cant imagine how one would spray a large climber, so that is important as well.

4 years ago

Yes. Those are screenshots from when she was in a pot last year. She is in the ground now and really pumping out the canes. I missed her fall flush as I was away or I would have included pictures. So many blooms. I'm so sad about that.She is not particularly thorny. I don't know why more people do not grow her or the bush form called Hermosa.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Vapor, that is great to know. How is disease resistance and fragrance? Yeah, it doesn't look like manmany grow her.

4 years ago

It's a good rose on all counts. When searching posts there are at least two people in Texas who have reported good results with Setina. I don't know or remember where in Texas they lived but you can to do a search for that under Antique Roses. I'll look for it later as I forgot to bookmark them.

Rekha, I will give a link in a moment for climbers on garage doors that may have you re-thinking it! MAC could go both places, but the second one could be planted at the downspout side growing towards that window and then across the top of the garage door perhaps even on a small attached overhang. You'll see in the pics. It would be fantastic! The pale colour of MAC would really complement the colour of the garage door which looks great, btw.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

I have Setina, too—great rose! :-)

4 years ago

I remember and recently saw your old posts while searching. Any updates or pics? I can't wait until the spring, but really need to give all these climbers some support on my wall.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Vapor, did you mean on the other side of the garage, closer to the street? I think that is a great idea, the front side gets morning sun, maybe 4 to 6 hrs, and the side gets afternoon sun, you think I can train the rose both sides? Has to be a big rose....

My Rose's dont get too bog,big, lot of blackspot, thrips and die back in summer, has to be something very vigorous, and low thorn...DH will absolutely insist on low thrones since he helps me all the time. I am seriously considering MAC ..but dont know all the attributes, some say no thorn, yet I see posts saying its thorny and hard to manage? Blackspot? I would need somthing that is very trainable if that is a word, bendy!

4 years ago

I was thinking of two roses, one in the original spot by the pony wall corner and the other by the downspout. I have yet to plant my cuttings in the ground, but before I killed my original one it was very healthy even with a northern exposure. I don't remember thorns, but often those only "appear" on more mature roses in my experience. So many roses would rock here, but I'm leaning towards white/pale or more intense medium to fuchsia pink or even cerise. There is always pink Ghislaine de Feligonde whose original form does extremely well for me regarding BS. Very vigorous and lovely.

4 years ago

Here is the link for Climbing Roses on Garage Doors. Notice the little pergola above some of them which would help immensely with training. Most of the pics are early on, but give you the idea. One of my favourites is that with Cl. PInkie which Cori Anne had once posted. Sometimes a small flower in profusion can make quite an impact. I've been thinking about Victorian Memory for this spot if you want to go bold. Don't know why I forgot it. Perhaps Sheila will post some of her pretty bush shots. Yet another rose that should be more widely grown, IMHO! : ))

Original Author
    4 years ago

Got it, I was saving Nahema's spot for a rose anyway, so something there and another on the other side. I think one MAC for sure...off to research! I think I enjoy researching as much as the blooms themselves!

4 years ago

Here's another great pic of VictorianMemory for anyone else interested.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Thank you, Vapor, for that great photo. I love seeing a mature VM/IS.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, I just realized why I never thought if planting there, we were considering widening the driveway:((

Not sure if we will end up doing it...should I just plant a rose and if we do end up doing it, will remove it...ugh...not sure what to do. But I strongly feel the need for a climbing rose here...

On the other hand, we dont end up doing half the things wwe talk about....

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

Who wants more driveway anyway?

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lol Sheila, so true. Big ugly stretch of concrete. We have a two car garage and since I am terrible at parking inside ( scraped the side of my car at my previous house with the same curved set up), and we have have a third car ( mmy parents who live with us several monthmonths in a year and leave the car here), the thinking was to widen it so we can park in the driveway. My daddad's car currently is on the street....but I think either I start driving carefully and up my skills or leave the third car on the street.

We have a huge house that takes up a lot of our yard already, but our family situation, my mothers handicap, etc requires it. I guess no need to pour more concrete! No complaints from HOA, or neighbors...many others do the same. Sigh. Might need a conversation with DH...dread the another rose conversation!!

Original Author
    3 years ago

So I did end up putting a MAC behind the pony wall. It definitely gets 4+ hrs direct, hot afternoon sun, maybe more depending on the season. Its now over 5' high in just over a year, but not many blooms, just a couple so far. It is thorny though! Not sure about calling it low thorn. On the other side I decided in all my wisdom to plant an eden, it gets a lot of sun. Although no disease and healthy plant, there have been no blooms. So my husband is questioning me on why we have roses everywhere without blooms! He is eyeing the rangoon creepers we have in the back climbing my balcony that bloom though the whole season and is asking why dont we just plant them here...sigh. Hopefully I start getting more blooms and make DH happy.

• jacqueline9CA
    3 years ago

Rekha - when did you plant the MAC and the Eden? MAC is a climber, and it will take more than a few months for it to start blooming - it will spend energy climbing first. However, after it is taller, it will bloom well in your climate. Mine blooms 12 months of the year here in zone 9 in Northern CA.

I don't know about Eden - it is a more modern rose, so I think you should expect it to start blooming this coming Spring - roses need to get their roots established first after you plant them. It sounds as if both of your roses are healthy - just remember, patience is a virtue!

Jackie

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jacqueline9CA
  • sbrklyn_7bny
    3 years ago

I also planted MAC this year, 4-5 feet tall no blooms yet. I heard large climbers take time to establish but I am hoping it will bloom decently next spring. Eden has a reputation of not repeating well but it should bloom for you next spring.

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked sbrklyn_7bny
  • jacqueline9CA
    3 years ago

Dont' be surprised if MAC just keeps putting out small canes for now - climbers do that in the beginning, to get some food going to feed their roots, which will have to support a lot of growth eventually. Saying about large old climbers: first year sleeping (growing roots), second year creeping (short canes going sideways), third year leaping! When they do start putting out climbing canes, you will be amazed - instead of short canes as when they are babies, suddenly you will see much stronger, bigger around canes start to GO UP like an elevator!

Jackie

ladybug A 9a Houston area thanked jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jackie, I put my MAC in Last fall, about a year ago. Both MAC and Eden are growing well, both well over 5 feet. Waiting...not so patiently!!!