Hawaiian Leis for graduation

sushipup1

In California, it is a tradition to give the graduates, male and female, a flower lei, and in some cases, one made with money, usually about 40 to 50 one dollar bills. Now that we moved to PA, I wonder if this idea is common elsewhere? I'm think about making a money lei for the high school senior across the street who has become a friend.

SaveComment31Like2
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eld6161

I really like that! Not a tradition in NY but this brings back a memory for me. My third grade teacher had a fellow teaching friend in Hawaii. We had a luau and invited the moms. We made leis out of crepe paper to present to our moms

Getting back to your question. Although it is not a tradition here, what HS senior wouldn't want a lei made out money? You will be the hit of the block!

1 Like Save    
Bluebell66

I didn’t know it was common in California. A friend of mine in Hawaii makes them for the graduates in her life. I think it’s a fun idea no matter the location.

Save    
maire_cate

sushipup - what a clever idea and certainly more interesting than a check in anenvelope. I've lived in the Philly area for 45 years (Bucks County, PA and Burlington County, NJ) and have never heard of a money lei.

Save    
Martha Scott

I think it's clever -- definitely not a tradition in the midwest.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I've not heard of it, but a fun idea

Save    
sushipup1

You can google it and get all sorts of how-to videos and instructions. I love the flower leis as well, but I'll do the money one with bills spaced with paper flowers in the school's colors.

2 Likes Save    
OutsidePlaying

I had not heard of a lei being a tradition in other than Hawaii but a money lei sounds like a fun and unique way to celebrate.

At the University if Alabama leis have become very popular, both for graduation and for wearing in honor of the excellent football quarterback from Hawaii, Tua Taigavaloa. DH and I have a several kukui leis given to me while working and on vacation there so we wear them frequently. Roll Tide!

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

I saw a student get showered with multiple leis right after graduation last year. It's not a local tradition. I don't think you would be wrong to do it. The graduate would probably enjoy it.

Save    
georgysmom2

You just might start a new tradition in PA. I'm sure he will love it......who wouldn't!!!!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

We've always done this, or I should say my wife has. Our kids each went to college and grad schools at different places outside of California and we brought the family tradition to them, usually using carnations and dental floss. In cases where there were small physical symbols available for the programs they were graduating from, those were also attached to the leis. As a random example that doesn't apply, a kid completing a degree in architecture would have had little houses (the size of the flowers) as well as flowers on the lei. This was always a hit with classmates and other parents.

Edit to add - but no money in the lei.

2 Likes Save    
maddielee

Not knowing this tradition, do students wear them during graduation while in their cups and gowns? I’m wondering if they would be allowed here for high school grads.

Save    
chisue

It's common in Hawaii to see people with flower lei stacked up to their ears on special occasions. (BTW, it's one lei, two lei, three lei, etc. Or, it can be "na lei" for 'all the lei'.) Why not help spread this lovely custom, sushipup?

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I have seen a few floral leis at our California graduations, but not many.

Save    
watchmelol

Like Sheilajoyce I have seen it done occasionally but wouldn't call it a California tradition. I imagine it came over because of our diverse population but it's not a California thing.

Save    
dedtired

Nope, never heard of that. Often the family will give the girl grads a bouquet of flowers, but real flowers!

Save    
sushipup1

Not a California thing per se, but Monterey County has a good-sized Pacific Islander population, so I guess it came from there. Just google money lei and see how cute they are. And yes, they wear them for the ceremony.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"Monterey County has a good-sized Pacific Islander population, so I guess it came from there."

There are large populations of people of this origin in the SF Bay area and also in SoCal, bound to be larger than the one in the Monterey area. That may have been where you saw the practice but it's probably unlikely that was the origin.

Save    
sushipup1

I really don't care where it started, but it gained a strong following in the Monterey area. I imagine it was more popular in the PI population before it hit the general usage. I didn't mean to imply that the whole thing started in MC. The first people I know who did it were from Samoa and the Philippines.

Save    
Michael

In PA, a pearl of coal may be more appropriate. :)

Save    
maddie260

I'm in the Bay Area, and it's very popular here for high school and college graduations. They have vendors outside selling leis. Our local Costco and Safeway stores have leis in stock during graduation months. I have two who graduated from Pacific Northwest colleges, and one back east; we brought leis to their college graduations also; there were plenty of kids adorned with leis, so I think this tradition is pretty widespread.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Apparently it is around here. I didn't know that till I went to the dollar tree store today. They have tons of graduation stuff including huge Racks of all kinds of Leis. Some very pretty colorful ones. Good selection of graduation cards.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

The ones I've seen were made with fresh flowers, not plastic.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

They were silk.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sorry, wrong word. I've seen and we've used only fresh flowers, not artificial ones. Part of the attractiveness of a lei of fresh flowers is the fragrance.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Unfortunately fresh flowers can be the most common allergy trigger.

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Just to report back .... graduation was this evening. I gave her the lei this afternoon, and she was thrilled, but her mother reports that it was The Coolest Thing Ever among her classmates. There were some other Asian kids with leis (didn't say if fake or real), but only one money lei.

I futzed around with technique and styles a bit, which left me running to the craft stores for the right ribbons, etc. But it all came together pretty easily, and it was a hit!

5 Likes Save    
happy2b…gw

I love the idea. i have a year to practice my technique as my eldest grandchild will be a 2020 high school graduate.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Sushipup, did you take a pic? Would love to see it.

Save    
sushipup1

No pix. I don't do cameras. But there are many pix online if you google images of graduation money leis.

Save    
always1stepbehind

Flower, dollar, candy, chip bag...you name it, if it can be strung or tied together somehow...it becomes a lei. My DD graduates high school this evening. I ordered her a plain white double strung orchid lei and added a ribbon bow in her school colors. Very much a tradition here and YES, the pacific islanders, they will be stacked...seriously, some of them will be stacked almost covering their heads!!

Save    
nycefarm

I work at a community college, with graduations twice a year and have seen it several times! Anyone see decorated caps? Most of the nursing grads do this!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Hawaii Gardening 8 Take-Home Planting Ideas From Hawaii's Big Island
Bring the tropical spirit of Hawaii to a mainland garden — for a summer or even longer
Full Story
Life Tell Us: Do You Know How to Live With Your Parents?
If you've tried multigenerational living under one roof, we'd love to hear the details
Full Story
Events Show News: Rare Quilts Get Museum Time
See 6 intricate designs from a California exhibition and get tips for building your own quilt collection
Full Story