SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19722038

They're Back!! Oh, the Sacrifices!

User
4 years ago

California Wrens have set up housekeeping in a small planter on my front porch railing. Every year they do this in some spot right up next to the front of the house. Last year it was another potted plant, before it was in an old watering can I have hanging on a trellis. The babies have hatched out and I'm waiting for them to fledge. I had to sacrifice the flowering plants I had in it because the parent made such a fuss when I tried very carefully to put just enough water in it to save the plants - the bird had a hissy fit and cussed me out for an hour. So now the plants are completely dead. Oh, well they were Winter annuals and would have been replaced soon anyway. They picked a new spot this year, there have been some years where a black snake found the nest and that was a tragedy of course, I hope they get grown up enough to be able to leave this time around. I also had to use some stuff to block off that end of the porch so my dog wouldn't molest them, she always looks over there when she sees the parent hopping around there. And I can't sit in my rocking chair on that side of the porch. The sacrifices!!!

Comments (18)