SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

Nominal Rose bush size vs pruned size

edanz
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi again,

One more question regarding planting roses for the first time.

I am trying to see where to put a shrub rose in a new flower bed I'm planning. It will essentially have a mixed border of lavender with some miniature rose bushes interspersed to give the border a less formal look.

Behind that border, in one spot, I may have enough room for a small to medium English rose bush. I am considering a bush whose growth habit is described as "a gently arching bushy shrub" about 4.5 feet high x 4 feet wide.

I have plenty of space for the 4.5 x 4 feet given in the description, however, I would hate to dedicate the width of 4 feet to a single rose bush. I would much rather hold the bush to about 2.5 to 3 feet in that space.

My question then is whether it is possible, through pruning, to keep a rose bush from reaching its maximum estimated width. If so, will some winter pruning easily achieve this, or will some summer pruning be necessary as well?

I have never planted roses before. I am familiar with pruning fruit trees for size control, but I don't know to what extent, if at all, roses would respond similarly this kind of pruning. I would not mind the bush reaching it's full height of 4.5 feet, but I'd rather keep the width a bit more compact.

Is this possible with Roses?

Comments (11)