SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

How Do I Root 'Pink Princess' Cuttings???

PoohBearLvr
4 years ago

Well I sold my 'Pink Princess' Philo plant today. Now I have my BIG one left. It is almost 6 feet tall. I'm going to cut it into MANY sections to sell. People ask me for cuttings, so...cuttings they will get.

I am keeping the top section, to I have a plant left for me. It is getting the pink variegation back on the new leaves, so it is 're-reverting'. But I am seeing the 'green/deep maroon type for sale all over the place on EBay, sick little 2 leaf sections selling for $60+! It seems to be VERY popular and expensive. They are selling for as much as rooted small plants. and that is a lot. (The pictures are of the top, see the variegation coming back?)

The main stem is like 3in around. But I need to know how long of a cutting do I need to make a successful piece root? I assume it has to have at least 1 'node', and a leaf. But do I need to make it 1, 2 or 3 nodes/leaves? It has lots of dried up aerial roots along the stem, in each node section. So I assume if I made a cutting with the aerial roots on it, it would root ....right? In soil or water???

If I do this I want people to get plants from what they buy. And I want my top section to root for me. I did an air layering of it over a year ago, and never took it off. So I assume it is still full of roots. The sphagnum is all but gone. It is all root:) That is about half way up the stem. I think I can get about 10-15 cuttings from it, depending on how big I need to make them. Any rooting advise would be appreciated.

See the tiny bit of pink colors in the corner of the far right leaf? Then this big red one with variegated colors is the newest leaf. A VERY newest leaf is about to open in a few days. I am hoping it has even more variegation.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County