SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

tiny rooted Rose of sharon leaf cuttings, how do I overwinter

katrina1
16 years ago

In mid June of this year my young,'Blue Satin' rose of sharon tree leafed out later than normal, and I was able to take four leaf cuttings just prior to when this small tree/shrub, began to produce flower buds.

I stuck them into 6 inch pots fill with a woody type potting soil. They have been rooting under the dappled afternoon shade side of my mature scarlet oak tree and they also had been getting full morning shade from being positioned just west of a privacy fence.

between our rainy spring and summer, along with my watering over the last month of drier weather, they have rooted nicely and produced a few more small leaves. The tallest of the 4, though, is only three inches tall and the shortest is only about two inches tall right now. They have dramatically increased their number of smaller than normal leaves, and two of them even have put on one flower bud, each. I intend to pinch off these flower buds, but also am afraid thin twig like trunks will not be able survive our upcoming winter.

Now that Summer is ending, I am concerned about preparing them for this next upcoming winter. a couple days ago, I moved them to my azalea beds which are planted along the east side of my house. They are fairly sheltered and so far, the days have been cloudy, but on clear days they will begin to receive much more morning sun and nearly full shade in the mid to late afternoon. After two days in their new location, the leaves have darkened some and all four of the young rootings seem happy.

My concern is for how thin their short two inch trunks are. I do not see how only 2/32nds inch, thin trunks will be able to survive the upcoming winter, not even if I bury the pots deeply into the azalea's mulch bed.

Would it be better, this winter if, after sinking them into the bed, I piled a thick 6 inch layer of mulch over their tops. If not; should I, instead, simply find someone who has a greenhouse and is willing to over-winter them for me?

Comments (5)