SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
abunari

fig cutting showing tiny roots should i put it in soil now?

abunari
13 years ago

I cut off a small four inch piece of my brown turkey fig tree to see if i could get a cutting to grow for the first time. I placed the cutting in 100% turface in a see thru cup and dipped it in some rooting hormone. Its been about three weeks and i was checking the cutting and noticed one white root maybe a 1/4 inch or so growing out of the bottom node as well as half a dozen brown hairlike roots below it!

I recently bought some great specially mixed potting soil from my local nursery that they call a soiless mix with what seems to be the exact same mix of ingredients that tapla has for his pots.

my biggest question is, now that i see some roots forming on the cutting should i let it continue in the turface untill it has larger roots then put it in the soil or can i go ahead and move her now? the soil is said to already have 10-10-10 fertilizer and on the bag it contains dolomite, sphagnum peat moss, bark, perlite, vermiculate. i am worried that with them being new baby roots that the fertilizer will be to dramatic for her?

thank you for the help

Comments (6)