SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Update on our new bed with the giant stump of our old oak tree

jacqueline9CA
4 years ago

Well, after we had to take down our 80 ft tall, 60 ft. wide scarlet oak tree, we kept the stump fairly high, and my Dh built me a new bed around it, and we bought a sort of arbor thingy to put over it, and I planted 2 roses. The idea was that we did not want to look at our neighbors house, which is very close. Many folks on here warned me that that would not work, because of some sort of oak rot which would be in the soil as the oak roots, etc. decayed.

One of the roses was a tea rose, and sure enough, it started growing backwards. We dug it up and put it in another part of the garden, replacing all of the soil. It appears to have recuperated. However, the other rose we planted, Dawson's Apple Blossom, is thriving (no idea why it does not care about oak root rot - all roses are "supposed" to). See pictures below. We hope that in time it will get even fuller.

What was interesting to me, in addition to the fact that it is happy, was that its bloom time, at least this year, coincides with the 2 white bushes on either side of it. They were here when we moved in 30 years ago, and all I know about them is that my DH's family calls them "snowball bushes". The blooms have a similar look to the tiny DAB blooms - the second pic shows them both close up. I did not plan this - I love it when serendipity happens in the garden!

Jackie

Comments (9)