SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycbluedevil_gw

whitewashing heart pine flooring?

nycbluedevil_gw
4 years ago

Hi all

In my country house, which was built in 2002, we have heart pine floors everywhere except the kitchen, entry foyer and entry to garage, which are flagstone (irregular tiles of gray, blue and dark red). I think they are about 8 inch planks. The floor is in good condition, with just a few dings here and there and some of the knots have developed some holes, which I imagine can be repaired.

When we bought the house, literally everything was pine. Way too much. We just finished a giant project where we replaced all our windows and doors and repainted all trim and interior doors white. Everything is so much brighter now and the house has a much more modern look.

Now the question is what, if anything to do about the floors. The yellowish pine is fine, but I think it would be nice to whitewash the pine and cool things down. The golden pine color doesn't really seem to work that well with the house now. It's not terrible but I think something else could be better.
I have no idea what is involved in whitewashing the floors or whether this would make sense. If we did this, then I would need to deal with the stair treads and banister, which are just a standard oak. Sort of boring. Would I whitewash the oak steps too? Then I could paint the banister a color that would bring out the flagstone floors in the entry foyer.

I have attached a picture which I shot from upstairs looking down. You can see the steps, banister, pine floors and the flagstone entry floors.

Comments (10)