SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anlau

Feedback on new floorplan - How to fit everything in?

Muff
5 years ago

Hello! We are planning to expand our home in addition to remodeling our kitchen/living area for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 boys 10 & 12). Our current house is ~1600 sq ft on a ~6000 sq ft lot and we would like to expand to 2000+ sq ft. We received initial drawings from the architect and like the general idea, but have found this forum really helpful and would love some feedback on a few things:

-We added a mudroom so that we could have our laundry inside as opposed to the garage so that we can park 2 cars in the garage and have adequate storage room. However, in the draft, there is no room for a utility sink. We use the sink frequently so would like to fit one in. Could we reduce the size of the powder room and broom closet in the mudroom to fit in an 18" utility sink?

-I'd like to put the entry from the garage right next to the powder room so that there is a more direct path to go from the garage to the kitchen. I would swap the refrigerator with the double oven so that the refrigerator is next to the pantry and both are near the entry. Does this make more sense than what's drawn?

-I'm not sure I like having the entry closet extend out next to the pantry. Is there any other way to fit this in? I was thinking it could be where the powder room currently is, but can't figure out where else to fit a powder room.

-After this set of drawings, we also asked to add a music/study/project room off of the dining room (sketched in pencil), in the back of the house so that is is "U" shaped in the back. Would it be feasible to fit a powder room back there? Our lot is fairly shallow so we can't extend further back. I was thinking of pocket doors between the dining room and the music/study and then a french or sliding door to the back porch.

Any other general feedback?

This is the draft of the new plan:

This is our existing layout:

Thank you!

Comments (11)