SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seitzsar

New Build, Floorplan Feedback

seitzsar
6 years ago
A family with 2 young kids --- We are building a new home in a downtown area and working on floor plans. We engaged an architect to build plans from scratch so we have the ability to make changes. It's hard to envision how it will come together in real life so I would love feedback on a few specific items and on the overall flow or other things we may have missed. It's ~2700sq ft 2-story, 4 bed, 3.5 bath home. Full basement with plumbing for future use. 2 car, detached garage in the rear.

We love big porches and they're common in our area so I like the wrap around feature and the side entry. In the Foyer, I'm not sure about the split closets by the dining room, maybe move to one right next to the powder room but it might be tight and lots of doors to look at upon entering - might be nice to have a console table instead.

What do you think about the double islands in the kitchen? The larger one (4x10') would have counter seating on the side opposite the stove. The long narrow island is all lower cabinets. I've considered making the center one smaller and the second island larger to accommodate seating along the hallway area by the stairs.

We wanted a semi-open floor plan. A separate office space that will be used as a kids playroom in the near term was a must and I wanted sight lines to it from the living space but the ability to close it off. Should we consider swapping the dining room and study/playroom?

As for the kitchen, the corner pantry was really an afterthought. I wanted one from the start but there's not a great place for it. We may have it be more of a floor to ceiling cabinet than pantry. Thoughts?

Do you see any areas you think won't be fictional?

Comments (44)