SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivyloudiy

Help me with my entry/foyer -- Looking for creativity!

Ivy Lou
5 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Delete

Comments (45)

• Allison S
    5 years ago

I would put a bench along the length of the wall to the right of the door, something upholstered would seem inviting and have an area under to tuck shoes. Here's an idea: Entry Bench

I have no idea for the area above the closet considering we have one of those as well and I've never been able to figure it out either.

For the niche though, you could use some studs and drywall and just fill it in if you really don't use it. This would open it up as wall space for family photos and such and make the wall a bit cleaner.

Ivy Lou thanked Allison S
  • oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I’d put a console table or cabinet to the right of the door with a mirror above.

Ivy Lou thanked oaktonmom
  • Related Discussions

What would be approp. floor or tile for my front entry/foyer?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi, quite often you would see the vestibules tiled up to mid-wall height, with subway tile and chair rail and base moldings also in ceramic. The floor would be small unglazed mosaic. There could be a border like a greek key or other pattern, and there could be an actual mosaic "rug" in the center. It was popular to have the family monogram or last name inlaid, or even just the house number. People often went overboard when decorating these spaces, as it was among the first things that a caller would see, and they were acutely attuned to making the first impression an overwhelmingly strong statement about their wealth/class. Casey
    ...See More

Help me pick a rug for my foyer - pics

Q

Comments (9)
    I like the first Caribbean, but really love the second. Would you consider using the braided rug in the entry, and getting the Caribbean for the LR? The braided rug seems to fight with the furniture arrangement. It feels like a narrow strip running down the middle of the furniture, rather than encompassing all the pieces in the central space of the room. Perhaps the Carribean could be sized so that the rug could turn the other way in the LR, and both the chairs would sit on it, the trunk opposite, and the large cabinet would be connected with it as well. I think all the wood furniture in there could also use the interest of the colors in the rug, whereas the entry is just a pass-through and perhaps needs less pattern and interest. Or use the braided rug in the office, where it would seem a perfect fit turned the other way. Then use the Caribbean in the LR, and get a simple sisal with a solid blue trim for the entry hall. You have a very pretty home, cheery and welcoming.
    ...See More

Help lighten my entry foyer and hallway!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you wedded to your console table? That's the main piece that gives off the gothic vibe since it looks like a kneeler in a church. Either that needs to be replaced with something lighter such as Beverley suggests--or even Lucite--or the medallions need to come down. Beautiful, light-in-feeling art--a pair of complementary watercolors with the palette below--would be so inviting. Add a runner rug in the same colors to create an inviting "path" into your home--something in blues and brown. In the meantime put a pair of lamps on your table--tall and thin or one with a rounded glass base.
    ...See More

Need help with stuctural and creative advice on a front entrance

Q

Comments (1)
    Yeah that looks to me to definitely be structural (the entire thing actually). It is basically in the exact same place as the wall to the left of the opening and doing the exact same thing which is holding up the front of your roof.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago

Colonial Whole Home Update · More Info

Find a fern stand you like and place a pair on the lower part of floor either side of upper area. This will be a "visual" cue that there is a step down. These aren't your style, but just to give you idea. Find a funky storage/bench piece for the stairway wall. I wouldn't put much on that short wall just before the living room/multi-purpose room. Something like a stairstep unit with a bench on the end nearest the entry?

Ivy Lou thanked Flo Mangan
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

If this were my entry, I'd be drywalling the niche closed, moving the floor vent and building-in a bench that sits on the lower floor but is at a height for sitting on the raised entry. It will provide a visual barrier and the needed bench. I'd also get rid of the carpet on the stairs.

Ivy Lou thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    A few ideas.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    You could hang carved wall hangings to hide niche and add interest.
  • lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- The entrance looks awkward and small . You could enlarge the platform by squaring it off by bringing it out to the right . Then have a pony wall with space for a bench with storage under for shoes . Or if you can or want to do a remodel . Then that closet and niche can all be re-moved back to the flat wall and the lower part of the stairs repositioned and make the entrance platform larger . Then there should be room for a bench or chair and a new closet to the right of the front door . This will make the entrance into a better foyer and hide the front door from the living room.. Consult with an Architect for this . Getting rid of the angles by squaring things off it will be and look bigger .

Ivy Lou thanked lefty47
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Idea for hanging screen.
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are a few more angles of the entry

The coat hanger is just a temporary item. This angle really lets you see how small this area is,

A better look at how this area flows into the kitchen and family room. It's kind of a hallway, so furniture can't be put against the wall here.

Flo, I love your ideas! Just can't put a plant or bench on that wall.

I do like the pony wall with built-in bench idea. I like all the ideas, but a remodel involving changing the tile floor or moving/removing walls is not in the cards at this point. I could see taking down the closet wall completely, removing the ledge and the niche all-together so that area would be open... but that sounds like an expensive project just for an area only my guests use to get into the house. So, for now, I'm trying to see if anyone has some creative ideas for using the space as I have it now.

• loobab
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Erin-

I would not build a pony wall at your entrance or a built in bench to the left of your door. That would create a barrier if you wanted to move a large piece of furniture in or out or if someone in a wheelchair needed to get in or out.

I am really concerned that your grandmother almost fell.

For her safety (and that of your other guests as well,) I would get some very bright colored tape that can easily be seen to put all around the edge of the steps, or some of that continuous lighting that is battery powered that you can stick on the edge of the platform all around.

If I were you, I would be saving my pennies to totally remove that safety hazard of a ledge. The niche, the living room, the area in front of the stairs, all that stuff is just aesthetics.

Lots of people can inadvertently trip, not only the elderly, and these days, a lot of people don't have health insurance.

Please check on your homeowners/umbrella insurance policy.

For real.

Ivy Lou thanked loobab
  • ghostlyvision
    4 years ago

There really isn't much room for a bench to the right of the door or on the stair wall, eh? Could one go to the left of the doggie in the last pic? Is that a table there now? I'd put a small table next to the door as a landing place for keys and such when you come in and some pretty artwork above it.

Ivy Lou thanked ghostlyvision
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    4 years ago

How about a photo of the room opposite the entry, in other words, after we step down, what is that space like?

Ivy Lou thanked Barbara Griffith Designs
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

That step just doesn't look safe to me. I'd first concentrate on finding a solution to extending the platform or removing it before I worried about the railing, carpet or doors. All the money I'd earmarked for those decor changes would go to a functional entry solution. I'd consult a general contractor or an architect to get an estimate on a more effective solution for the entry. Extending the platform would probably be the cheaper option and I'd expect it could be done for less than a thousand.

If I decorated the space as is, perhaps my choices wouldn't make sense in the long run if ever I did remodel the entry and that would be time and money wasted.

Ivy Lou thanked tartanmeup
  • njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

If you want a wall, but don't want the expense,

Some inspiration:

Martha Road Ranch House · More Info

Ivy Lou thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Njmomma. You don’t have to be a “pro” to have good ideas. I think that is good but possibly something a bit lower. Otherwise, it will tend to close up things.
  • eandhl2
    4 years ago

When you change stair railing put a matching railing leaving only the small opening near stairs.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Hi Flo......"Not a Pro" is my shtick at this point lol since I started posting years ago :-)

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree, it's not safe. I have thought of doing a lighting strip under the ledge of the step down. I could easily do that. I just don't understand why the architects who designed my house did the entry this way. All the houses in my neighborhood are custom so no house is the same. I wonder if the original owners of the home requested something that lead to the entry being made this way?

I have people who use wheelchairs or other mobility aids enter through my garage entry at this point.

Here is my front door

You can see you have to step up into the house upon entry.

A photo of the living space from the top of the stairs. This is right when I got my dining table and rug, so I have some junk laying around.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

I think laying an area rug that covers most of the landing could help differentiate the elevated area from the floor below. Then you could add a bench to the wall to the left, which would also provide another visual break. What is the length of the wall to the left of the door?

Ivy Lou thanked katinparadise
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

The best thing you can do for safety without construction is to paint the wood strip along the edge white, so it looks like your base board trim. That will make it a noticeable difference from your dark floors below and the dark tile in the entry. You could place a small bench for one where you have your coat rack, with a basket underneath for shoes.

Ivy Lou thanked calidesign
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The wall to the left of the door is 40 inches in length of usable space.

I tried to tell the flooring people who installed my hardwood that I wanted the trim of the tile ledge to match the trim of my house, but they said that using stair nose as trim would be more durable. And they were right, but yeah, it sorta makes it blend in more. Is there a good, durable product for painting it? It has a protective finish on it so I don't know if I should use a de-glosser or something before priming and painting?

Would it be possible to lower the entry door and take out the platform all-together? I'm assuming the door is elevated to meet some kind of code? I wonder if I could lower my front porch so I could keep the slightly elevated entry door for code, but it would be flush with the flooring inside?

• User
    4 years ago
    I would remove the whole coat closet. I hate the architecture of the era high ceiling throw in a closet or powder room. That gets rid of the alcove and dust catcher shelf above closet . I would replace it with a coat armoire in your style Then new rails. As for the landing it could be removed but much more work.
    Ivy Lou thanked User
  • jck910
    4 years ago

Can it be removed so the floor is level? To me anything put there (bench, etc) will be tripping hazard. And I would certainly put better front steps on your lovely home, those look unfinsished

Ivy Lou thanked jck910
  • ghostlyvision
    4 years ago

Is the step up into the house the same height as the landing is to the floor? If so, seem like you could take out the landing and the step up at the door, then figure a fix for the bottom of the stairs (since that last step would now be much higher). You'd also need a new front door and trim work, but it seems doable.

Ivy Lou thanked ghostlyvision
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Ivy Lou thanked groveraxle
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

groveraxle, I love your render, thank you.

I think the step up at the entry is the same height. It's almost like there is a ledge because the front door is elevated. I'll have to check building code to see if I can simply lower the door without having to change anything else with the porch. If I lowered the door and the platform to be level, the entry would be level with the porch and I am not sure if that is against code or not for my specific application/location/etc. I think I saw somewhere that this type of entry door with a step up is necessary at areas where snow can build up? I'm going to be talking to a few contractors/architects about what can be done in the future.

• houssaon
    4 years ago

I would put the bench up against the wall and a small colorful carpet in front of it.

Like this, only smaller. This looks like church pew. I found a small one at a flea market. Just don't cover up your vent with the rug.

Victoria Residence · More Info

It is a good thing you have to step up to get into your house, because that means someday, someone can remove the ledge.

Ivy Lou thanked houssaon
  • Lisa G.
    4 years ago

Are you dead-set on carpeting the stairs? Because don't. If you're gonna do it, can you consider/do you have the option to do a runner down the stairs instead? I'd drywall the niche. Also...kinda rando question(s), but bear with me: do you follow any design blogs, what kind of home magazines and catalogs do you read/follow, do you watch any design/HGTV-type shows? What's your fave clothing brand, what kind of shoes do you tend to wear, etc.? Do you entertain a lot (or not at all?) What's your current dream vacay destination and if you could live anywhere, where would it be? I'm asking because I'd love to get a sense of your style to make some suggestions.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Good idea to check codes. I have never heard of this crazy up/down down situation. I wonder if this foundation was beginning of problem. I can’t imagine this being intentional. Let us know what you find out.
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Have you noticed if any of your neighbours have a "step up" front door as well? Entry ledges? I'd be curious to know if anyone else nearby has a similar set up and how they've dealt with it.

Ivy Lou thanked tartanmeup
  • deb s
    4 years ago

The closet does not look to be structural - I would consider removing that whole area and making a bench and closet area in that space- i think a bench in the step down area would look weird. You would need to floor plan it out to make sure it works.

If the raised floor is a tripping hazard consider lights in the kick plate area OR make sure the floors are two different colors.

Ivy Lou thanked deb s
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just looked at some homes in the neighborhood that were recently sold and currently on the market -- yes, there is a slight trend for these raised entry platforms and just different elevated or sunken rooms in general . None of the houses I saw have as small as an entry platform as mine, so they don't seem to have issues decorating and using them. There were many homes that had no elevated front door and no platforms at the entry and completely level floors, so that is promising.

Lisa G. I don't want to carpet the stairs. I would do wood with a runner. My husband is the one who is dead-set on carpet on the stairs. We haven't started that remodel yet, so there's still time to convince him otherwise...

I do watch some HGTV but I wouldn't say I 100% love a specific show's style -- I like the stuff at IKEA, Room and Board, and West Elm. Fave clothing is probably Modcloth. I do not entertain much, if at all, but I really want to more. Game nights are my jam. Dream vacay would be Hawaii or Japan. Dream place to live would be surrounded by trees, maybe in the mountains or a lakehouse with a big lot.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    My notifications aren’t coming in any order. The photo you posted of the stair wall going to kitchen just came thru. I can see you can only put art there. I am toying with the idea of expanding the entry raised area. Not sure yet. Will see if I can do it based on your photos. Bbl.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    I just got post with groveraxles expanded raised entry level. This seems a good approach and not too costly. As to stairs, since they have full carpet now, it will most likely be cost prohibitive to do wood and carpet. You have probably just got plywood or some inexpensive material under that carpeting, not stainable wood. Also, you might not realize what a big job changing that railing will be. So make sure you know all the details for accomplishing this. Stairs, balusters and newel posts and railings are complex.
  • Lisa G.
    4 years ago

Holy cow, I had no idea stair railings were so pricey. Are you changing/ removing the carpet (and either replacing it with more carpet or a runner) because you don't like the current carpeting or is there something wrong with it? Also...niche..okay, so you're cool with quirk and it's a niche, which (to me) screams "I need to house an old, chipped up, vintage-y chalkware statue of an obscure religious figure or a circus animal". But that's just me. Like an infant of Prague would be so cool. Santos figures are great, but...chalkware is pretty darn cool.

Chalkware (okay, maybe plaster...) advertising figurine.

St. Therese. A really banged up version, verrrrrry neat.

St. Therese...in a niche (err, a grotto...). If you don't buy this on Etsy, I will.

Or you could put some removable wallpaper inside the niche and add a tuck a puck light up in the top arch of the niche so whatever you put in it is downlit. A soft/matte metallic or seagrass wallpaper would be really neat. or you could paint the back in a really moody version of whatever color your furniture is.

• Lisa G.
    4 years ago

Also...it might be $$, but I'd suggest you update the door if you're looking to do more than just paint and furnishings. Opinion only. The glass is a little frumpy :/ And I think if you can't get a more modern stairway overhaul, you could stain the stair banister and railing a darker color? Or at least paint the rails to match the trim in the room (which I would paint white/lighten up).

• Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If for some reason I cannot just get the platform removed and the flooring all one level, then my second option would definitely be what groveraxle has done with the expanded platform.

I'm wanting to replace the front door, not just paint it. Something like this one:

Craftsman-style Door Design Ideas · More Info

Lisa G. Haha! Yes I like quirky. I'm a little more on the geeky side of quirky. Right now, I just have a plush Kermit in the niche, but he sorta just looks like he is hanging out in there and not really supposed to be there.

Carpet needs to be replaced on the stairs and the whole 2nd story because it's just the worst. It's a shag carpet, which I hate. The color reminds me of vomit.

• Lisa G.
    4 years ago

Looooove the door (including the black paint). YES. I was thinking, too...someone threw out the idea of having a sort of divider between the entry and the drop off/step down into the living area. If you're familiar with Japanese Noren (short linen or cotton curtains...), that might be an interesting solution. They're not wide, you could use just one panel out of a set, and you can get relatively sheer types that still allow light to come through and wouldn't make guests feel hemmed in when they walk in the door. The noren designs out there can go cheesy/cutesy Japan pretty quick, but some of the simpler vintage or classic, plain noren are elegant and they're really affordable.

If you wanted to go rather theme-heavy and a little crazy, you could put a pagoda statue in the niche and an old pachinko game or a vintage Japan travel poster on the wall. Okay, maybe not ball of those things at once. But they'd be interesting and fun. A few fun ideas below...

Sheer linen noren in blush. I'd use this as a shower curtain if I could!

Cool carp panels.

Ivy Lou thanked Lisa G.
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago

Erin, I don't think removing the platform would be an option. You would have to have another step, and just adding a step wouldn't work because it would not be the same riser height as the other stairs, which would be against code. You'd have to have your entire stairway re-built. Extending the platform may be a much less expensive option.

Ivy Lou thanked katinparadise
  • elurie_ceramics
    4 years ago

This is one of the worst designs I've ever seen. Look at the amount of space to the right of the door. If you are opening the door for a guest, you are forced back against the stair and the guest has no space to move to the right without falling off the platform. If several people arrive at one time, it would double the hazard. I think extending the platform is the best option. Don 't assume that doing that will be really expensive. Ask around and see if your neighbors have any handymen who can do this. This would allow for the placement of a small bench(enough for one person), with room beneath for a basket or container for muddy or wet boots. the room. I can see why grandma had trouble. You said you were going to change the rail and you like mid 20th century modern so consider a very minimal and unobtrusive rail made of aluminum stock. This will make the area seem more open.

Don't forget too the possibility of making a space underneath the stairs for a shelf, which could be equipped with baskets to hold and hide mittens,scaves, etc. good luck.

Ivy Lou thanked elurie_ceramics
  • Cyndy
    4 years ago

Groveraxle's rendering is the best idea I have seen. Inexpensive and makes the best of an unsafe step by making the area not so cramped. You would only have a small bit of framing and a small area of floor to replace.

Ivy Lou thanked Cyndy
  • Kendrah
    4 years ago

Yellow caution tape on the step down. Keep kermit the frog.

Ivy Lou thanked Kendrah
  • houssaon
    4 years ago

I think Goveraxle's idea is the best so far. I agree with katinparadise that adding another step might be an issue because I had the same thought when I first saw this post. The only way to know for sure is to measure the rise on the platform and measure the rise of the steps. I wounder if code would allow any wiggle room to correct an existing hazard.

Ivy Lou thanked houssaon
  • Ivy Lou
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lisa G. Yeah! I have been wanting to get a Japanese noren for my closet that doesn't have a door. Just haven't found "the one" yet.

I agree about my entry. I don't know what they were thinking! When guests come over, I just tell them "watch your step" and they walk past me as I hold the door. I do hate that I have to always warn people.

If I wanted to remove the platform and lower the entry door, I thought I could just leave part of the platform that is at the stairs and that will continue to be the "last step" of the stairs. Right now, anytime I come down from upstairs, the platform is the last step of the stairs, so I don't see how that couldn't continue to be the last step, just resized. I will ask my contractor what he thinks though. It does sound like just extending the platform would be more cost-effective, but it doesn't necessarily make entering my house from the front door more accessible. There would still be a chance for a fall or tripping just from the fact that it's a change in flooring height.