SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhometara

What would be approp. floor or tile for my front entry/foyer?

oldhometara
16 years ago

My old home was built around 1900. We call it a Victorian home, but we don't know much about architecture. It may be more properly described as Edwardian, or perhaps it's just a nice looking Colonial.

Anyway, it has a nice front porch leading to a set of two (somewhat narrow) exterior front doors. Once you open that first set of doors, you're in a tiny foyer. I should measure the foyer but would guess it's maximum 5 feet wide and 3 feet deep. This tiny foyer leads to one large wooden door -- once you open that you're inside the house/living room.

My question is, what type of flooring should this tiny foyer have? The original floor is long gone, and the 6x6 squares of slate that are there now don't look very good. I'm thinking I should put in a tile floor, white 1" hexes or penny rounds, or maybe a marble basketweave? I'd love to put something special, yet historically appropriate in this tiny space.

I'm hoping someone can help me, by telling me what kind of floor they have in their similar front entry? Or perhaps there are some good reference books I could check out?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments (4)