SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nonny01368

Ficus seems to be dying after root trim and repot in sorta 5-1-1

nonny01368
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Probably F. benjamina but not sure because I got it half-price and half-dead from WalMart. Repotted regularly (~ea 2 yrs?) but not root pruned. Pruned above regularly for crossing branches, shape, bush-iness, etc. By 2014 it was 30" tall, by May 2018 almost 6 ft tall. Very beautiful.

This fall we planned to move to SE AZ (and did) so I postponed repotting. By then, there were maybe a dozen trunks, some twisted together, soil sunken, growth slowing...clearly overdue. I read posts by Al Tapla about soil, root pruning, Ficus cultivation. Tried to make a sort of gritty 5-1-1 mix but didn't have the exact ingredients. Last week I did the root prune and repot: took out of old pot, shook off soil, unentangled separate trunks, kept the biggest five.

I pruned crossing roots, roots directly under a trunk, some additional big roots, cut one third off overall length.

I didn't prune *all* big roots because it really didn't have as much root of any size as I would have thought from how much it drank. I pruned top growth very modestly, not as much as I would have in the past to "balance" the root loss. Mostly I just took off some low forks--to see if I could take a single trunk and straighten it out.

Repotting the five different trunks in one pot was a bear: they twisted around as I filled the pot and tamped; I ended up with many branches going into the center that I wanted to go outward.

But I left things as they were, intending to post questions here the next day and maybe completely repot...but I couldn't post until now. The still soil feels moist, yet it's nice and loose, not clumping, dowel is moist with crumbs. I did water it a bit on day 3 or 4 when it was clearly starting to sag, in case I was mistaken about water content. I still don't know if I should have done that or not.

Fast forward, it went from dull leaves to droopy, to losing a few leaves a day. By day 7:

Today, day 8, there is a whole carpet of fallen leaves and many bare branchlets especially near bottom. I believe I have to do *something*.

First question: how do I save it (them)? Water a ton every day? Tent? Repot? Prune heavily?
Second: should I repot immediately into different soil--or not at this point, too late, next time? (Recipe for the soil it is now in and the ingredients I have since come up with follow at end.)
Third: Should I trim off all the branches going inward *now* (that I had hoped to save and have going outward-for lower bushiness)? Or dig out/"repot in place" enough to turn trunks around? Even if I repot immediately, should I prune more?

Thanks for any input you can give. I probably forgot important parts of what I read and screwed things up. I hope with help I can still rescue my pretty tree from myself :-(

Nonny

The soil mix the Ficus is newly planted in:

8 parts (by volume) Botanicare (non-salty) Coir (instead of composted pine bark fines and peat moss)

3 pts Special Kitty Litter (soaked a wk then frozen; thawed still in chunks) (instead of Turface MVP)

3 pts Perlite (instead of grits)

Also: 2 pts Reptibark chunks (too big to help), 1 pt PDZ/zeolite (too fine, but it wasn't much), 2 cups Osmocote. I forgot to add gypsum.

I have since also found Turface MVP and Grow-well Soil Conditioner and Seed Cover (virgin forest product), which at least *looks* like the photos of composted pine bark fines:

Comments (10)