SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heebeejeeb

Another ugly house exterior for you to fix...

heebeejeeb
5 years ago

Hi! Our house is a 1950's style and is in need of some exterior updates to make it more contemporary. I have a couple of ideas but would love some more input. Couple of asides...firstly, our budget is somewhat limited and secondly, we are not really flashy, statement people. I'm kind of hoping to make my unlovely house disappear more into my lovely neighbourhood, adding texture to make it more interesting when you approach the front door.

Current ideas:

1. Paint the house dark grey (maybe with greenish tones) say BM amherst grey or SW night owl. Paint the chimney breast even darker, almost black. Fascias, soffits will be painted in an off white to match windows (vinyl and need to stay so will be remaining white).

2. Add orangy wood toned shutters over the 2 right slot windows (these are above a hall way & above eyeline in a master bath) I've attached a sample picture. I really want to make these windows look bigger. Unfortunately they cannot be made bigger.

3. Add stacked stone, again greys/orangy tones around the side & front of the garage, where there is currently brick. There is another example of a house (same era) with this in our neighborhood & it loooks good but I am really worried it will date? An alternative idea would be to put a different wood siding around the garage, that would somewhat match the shutters. I worry about the cost of this though!

Sorry this is a lot! Thanks for perservering & for any feedback or ideas that you can give me! I know I haven't got this quite right yet!

Comments (13)