did anyone watch "Jesus - His Life"?

sprtphntc7a

this was on the History channel the last 4 weeks. i thought it was very well done. gave me a lot to think about and i learned a lot as well.

i don't want to start arguments., just get your reaction/thoughts to it. i have never seen His story portrayed like this and i thought it was interesting.

i really liked all the scholarly input from the different faiths - very different & enlightening. they told you what it was like to live back then, the time it took to travel from place to place and the meaning behind the dialogue. also, the maps were a great visual for me.

i know i am taking a risk posting this but i am really interested in what you think, if you watched it in its entirety. what were your thoughts? i hope we can have a meaningful dialogue without any nastiness. if this does not interest you, please scroll on by.

my fingers are crossed for interesting and friendly discussion

SaveComment7Like2
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
matti5

I watched the first episode and have the others recorded. Plan to watch this weekend. I too thought it was very well done and hearing the different perspectives gave me a lot to think about. I don't think I ever gave much thought to the time it took for travel, living conditions, etc... Very little of that was discussed in my religious education.

Save     Thanked by sprtphntc7a
jemdandy

My perspective about Jesus is different to what it was when I was young. When I was a little boy, a picture of 'Jesus' was displayed on the church wall and I thought it was a representation of his likeness. I never questioned it because no one else did either; All accepted it as a good representation. Its reality was never discussed with us children. It was one of those things we grew up with and assumed it was factual. It was not! It was church art.

Now, I am in my elder years and finally realize that no one alive alive today knows the likeness of Jesus. What we saw as children was an artist's view of a sincere man, one who was concerned about people. In "white" churches, he is depicted as a white man; In other places, he may have different skin color. Due to his location and parentage, he may have had olive colored skin.

The truth is, no one today knows, with accuracy, what his physical features were.

jkayd_il5

No, I didn't watch it because I didn't know it was on. Wish I had seen it. Maybe it will rerun.

joyfulguy

I haven't seen the movie, and from what I hear here would like to, as I am open to hearing other viewpoints regarding him.

Many of those representations of Jesus have him appearing more like western European than middle easter Jewish (that was supposed to be "middle eastern" ... are my keyboarding fingers working against me?)

I remember having been told early on that we really don't know what Jesus looked like, that it was an artist's impression, intending to help us direct our thinking. I think it was somewhat later that I heard that it was somewhat inaccurate, in that the artist hadn't made him appear very Jewish, or of that historical period.

ole joyful

breenthumb

I would like to see it too. Maybe we can bring it up "on demand".

sprtphntc7a
You can pull it up on-demand.
I think u have to pay for it $1.99 SD-$2.99 HD
Save    
Uptown Gal

I thought it was well done, too. Jesus looks like "your" mind sees him....that is the beauty.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Eclectic Homes My Houzz: Pursuing Their Life’s Work in Rural Oregon
This creative couple craft a live-work world all their own in the high country of eastern Oregon
Full Story
Life Houzz Call: What Did Your Dad Teach You About Making a Home?
Fathers share skills and wisdom with their kids. What did you learn from yours?
Full Story
Before and Afters My Houzz: Watch Kyrie Irving Tell Dad ‘Thank You’ With a Remodel
The Cleveland Cavaliers player uses Houzz to find a pro and shop for products to open up and brighten his father’s home
Full Story