SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

Did anyone watch CNN last night?

sal 60 Hanzlik
3 years ago

Anderson Cooper had Dr Fauci on with questions and answers. After you get the vacine you still have to wear a mask, social distance a nd wash hands. You could still get the virus although not severe but could still pass it on. They just don't know yet. They also do not know how long it is good for--3 months or 3 years. A women that took the trial said she woke up with a terrible stomach ache. head ache and hurt all over but it only lasted 4 hours. Here I was thinking we were good to go but Not. So much is not known.

Comments (42)

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

I didn’t watch but have heard Dr. Fauci say this before. I bet we will be wearing masks for a couple of years. The side effects you mentioned don’t scare me much....I had the same effects from the shingrix vaccine and some arm tenderness from the flu shot. I think the uncertainty is what is so difficult and frustrating.

• Related Discussions

Did anyone watch House last night

Q

Comments (9)
    I got in on the last of it so didn't understand what was going on.Maybe next week I will be able to figure out who Amber is and her relationship to House.LOL I use to watch all the time then when re runs started I quit.I always forget it is on but I will remember from now on.I love that show.
    ...See More

Did anyone watch Grey's Anatomy last night?

Q

Comments (12)
    I finally watched the show late last night...What a great show...there were 3 or 4 story lines going on and it was sure action packed...the older couple made me so sad and think of my parents...They were married 57 years until my mother died...My dad was devastated at the loss of his wife and only lived a year longer then her... I sure hope Dr Hahn doesn't try to take Izzy down before she exits the show (and a very good riddance I say!)
    ...See More

Did anyone watch The Walking Dead premiere last night?

Q

Comments (13)
    I binge watched a few seasons of TWD when my friend told me about the show. I was captivated from the first episode and now I'm a HUGE fan. The premier the other night was great. Can't wait for Sunday nights just to watch. I also like Fear the Walking Dead. That show can only get better, IMO. Interested to see where this season goes as well as the new characters in TWD. While watching, I was amazed at how many extras they had to transform into zombies. The director, while on the Talking Dead show, said it was over 1,000 people but like looked like a lot more than that. I am not generally a zombie fan, and, I agree the show isn't about the zombies but rather, the characters, which is probably why I enjoy it so much.
    ...See More

Anyone watch "The Affair " last night?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for your kind comments! She is a sweetheart. She's lived in Paris her whole life but because my brother is American, she is completely and seamlessly bilingual. She has been studying acting for a while, but this is her big break. I've got my fingers crossed for her!
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Didn't see that interview, but have heard several times that yes, mask wearing and physical distancing must remain in effect for some period of time even after we all get vaccinated. I expect that scientists and researchers will be watching very closely as more of us get vaccinated, and will monitor, study and learn more about side effects, how long the protective action lasts, etc. So I'm not 'worried' about it, but do realize it's not a magic action that ends the pandemic immediately .... but I'm now very hopeful that Holidays 2021 will be back to just about normal!

• wednesday morning
    3 years ago

Let us not get too carried away with circumstantial and antidotal stories about how people reacted to it. The media is going to be flooded with stories of what happened to this or that person after getting the vaccine.....in their own words and, sometimes, in their own imaginations.

Everyone is going to have their story that, to them, proves something that they think to be true.

True that not all is known, and may not be known for some time.

No one is all knowing and has all the answers or can see what may not be obvious from this point in time. I will put a lot more confidence in our scientific expertise and knowledge than I would in any political entity with an agenda. Even the past presidents being willing to receive the vaccine in full view of the public is somewhat political, but I do welcome their notion and do applaud their effort to instill some confidence in our science and to be real leaders with this brave show of confidence.

It certainly is a contrast to the current occupant who is more intent on throwing a temper tantrum and acting like the completely unhinged fool that he is. Of course , that is in-between rounds of golf that he plays while America burns. The one path that he has forged for us is the path to wherever his next "hamburgerler". is awaiting him, or the road to destruction of all that supports us in our society and our democracy and in the stability of our live and families.

I'll take my chances with the science behind the vaccine and not the ignorant stance of the right wing Luddites.

We want the truth and we must be very careful about spreading untruths or unsubstantiated stories. There is going to be much truth and untruth.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I think masks and social distancing will be with us for 2021.

• jkayd_il5
    3 years ago

I think so too Annegriet.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

I'm thrilled that Dr. Fauci will be part of President-elect Biden's covid team. Unfortunately I didn't see the interview, I didn't realize it was on.

I heard on the news that after the vaccinations, the anti-body test only shows anti-bodies for 3-4 months. Now, I have to admit that I really don't know what that means in the long run. Is it like the flu where we will need to get a vaccine every year?

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I'm okay with it. It's better than dying. CNN just had a doctor on predicting 20,000 Americans will die the week of Xmas.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I’m not surprised at the continued precautions. Novel virus, novel vaccine. And of course you won’t know whether anyone you encounter has had the vaccine, and has had both doses.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I am also hoping that the vaccinations will take place in parking lots--outside--drive through--minimizing the risk of contracting Covid while waiting in line.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

While I'm busy hoping, I hope that we give real help to the folks who need it now. I am scared for my neighbors who may lose everything if Congress doesn't step up.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

I thought this would be the case. I don't foresee giving up masks in the near future, possibly forever. I know that you can still get the flu even with a flu shot. You can get infected with a strain that is not one of the three in the flu shot. I wonder how much this virus will mutate from what is in the vaccine.

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

CNN just had a doctor on predicting 20,000 Americans will die the week of Xmas.

Did he also predict how high the rate of suicide will increase during the holidays?

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

From people who finally realize their life has changed after having the virus? It would be hard to know which suicides are from what since many do not leave a note. The holidays always have a higher rate of suicides than the rest of the year.

• Annegriet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Did he also predict how high the rate of suicide will increase during the holidays?

Not while I was watching. However, I mourn the loss of any life during this pandemic whether it is from the virus or from the immense sadness/grief/loneliness that comes from isolation. Sadly, it didn't have to be this way.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Well, I predict that suicides will not decrease if we stop isolating and distancing and just return to "normal" because the pandemic will get so much worse and THAT will cause many more problems (including depression and suicidal thoughts).

There is help available for those suffering from suicidal thoughts. There is much less help right now for people who get covid. Businesses can recover. We can help people financially. But we can't bring 20,000 more people back from the dead (nor all who've gone before them).

• Annegriet
    3 years ago

I imagine folks who lose loved ones to Covid are very, very sad and depressed. Perhaps some are even suicidal. There is an element of hopelessness and despair when you have to say goodbye to a loved one at the ambulance or hospital steps or Face-time if you are one of the luckier ones. Again, it didn't have to be this desperate. I do agree with Olychick. There is help for those suffering from depression/suicidal thoughts. I actually have two former co-workers who are not doing well during the pandemic. Elderly. Alone. Isolated. I make it a point to call as much as possible. Send cards and silly emails. I have a Hanukkah package ready to go for one. It's a little thing but it helps.

• chisue
    3 years ago

Yes, nearly 20K dead of Covid-19 in the US over seven days this year, 12/25 - 12/31. You can look it up on the Johns Hopkins site I gave above. Take a look at your state and the hospitalization rates.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I listed above the number of deaths in the past two days. So far today 2,210 have been reported by 5:16. Not every state reports on the weekends. In the past three days that is 7,849 and probably will be more by the end of the reporting day. If you divide 7,849 by 3 then take it times 7, the days of the week that would be 18,314 if the numbers would hold. Those numbers are thought to peak in the next two weeks perhaps even doubling according to a couple of sources.

I worry more about people committing suicide after the holidays when they see that they have helped cause friends and family members to die just so that they can see them again.

• socks
    3 years ago

Just for comparison, in the 2019-20 year, something over 20,000 died of the flu.

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

Socks, is that in this Country or world-wide?

Jane

• lily316
    3 years ago

I missed this show. Will there be a re-run?

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

"I missed this show. Will there be a re-run?"

I'm not sure but I think this may be it:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/app-news-section/full-coronavirus-town-hall-december-4/index.html

• jmm1837
    3 years ago

"Did he also predict how high the rate of suicide will increase during the holidays"

It is a myth that suicides increase during the holidays. It is not a myth that deaths from Covid will increase if people continue to downplay it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Sadly, with the number of people here in the USA who have no intention of getting any kind of vaccination - ever, it seems unlikely that herd immunity will be achieved anytime soon 🙁

And if there was ever anything near 270K suicides in less than a year, maybe that argument would make some kind of sense.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

I read that on average, it takes 18.something days from diagnosis to death with covid if you are going to die. And 1.8 percent of those diagnosed will die. Tomorrow, 12/7, is 18 days until Christmas.

Yesterday, according to Johns Hopkins, 213,875 people were diagnosed with covid. Using that number, 3,850 people will die on 12/23. So the doctor on CNN estimating 20,000 Americans dying the week of Christmas is, sadly, on target.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why would anyone take their life because they are following the the Covid rules? Sure we are bored and lacking getting together with family and friends but to take our life--I don't think so. That's why we're doing this. The ones that commit suicide could get out among people and get Covid if they want to.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Wow, just wow. Suicide is very complicated. Going out among people? That's not the problem. There is so much more going on.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you mean someone would commit suicide despite the virus?

• bpath
    3 years ago

The solution to “get out among people” is not a solution. Just being away from people is not necessarily the problem. I found that comment to be incredibly simplistic.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I understand what sal was getting at. Using potential suicide as a rebuttal for taking health precautions against a deadly disease is stunningly ironic.

• petalique
    3 years ago

Sal, I saw that section and there have been repeats of similar exchanges in the news in the past several days. It is not known yet, for certain, but, yes, along what nickel and annegriet said.

Now, news is saying that every 30 seconds an American dies from Covid. Did I hear correctly?❓ And in the first 5 days of December, US saw 1 million new documented Covid 19 cases.

A senior citizen acquaintance took a part time job as a cashier in a grocery store to pay for home repairs. I wanted to brain her.. Her adult children are not happy. Plexiglass and mask mandate, but holy cow. At least high ceilings and registers close to entrance so perhaps there’s a little air exchange. I don’t get it. Postpone home improvement. We try to limit errands, especially during this latest surge. We try to eat home made frozen pasta sauce, soups.

My heart goes out to health workers and to frail people living alone. And to anyone like Glenda who needs medical care. Don’t they risk exposure?

• petalique
    3 years ago

Chisue, I can often have a strong stomach. But today, Sunday, there is no credible news venue that Is easy to read or view.

A woman restaurant owner, masked, showing her outside California dining area not allowed to open, while a similar setup across from her managed to be given the okay. And, sure, I get that dramatic stories make good clicks and news, but, undeniably, these are humans, investing in their businesses, incurring debt to modify for Covid, then being essentially forced to close, and their staff left jobless. Food industry, restaurant chefs, Sous chefs etc operate on such a thin margin. It is so (was so) unavoidable. I want to scream for these workers and families.

I think I am going to have to turn to genuinely fake news no to tear up. Cheeses! Maybe the lower right side of that Media chart.

We rarely dine out because we both like to cook. We try to support some of our favorite family operated restaurants by ordering take out now and then. They seem to be doing well and they do no need our small contributions.

• bpath
    3 years ago

There was a story today about a small, local restaurant that has been around forever. They are down to 20% of normal business. Many of the factors that they used to depend on, like commuters getting off the train, students coming home for vacations, families visiting the local college and boarding schools, and community events that sent people in before and afterwards, aren’t happening.

• graywings123
    3 years ago

Yep, that's what a pandemic will do to the economy. And the Federal government should be sending direct aid to those affected. If you can give the ultra rich $1.5 trillion in tax cuts in 2017, common decency says you should be able to come up with a couple billion or so to help people at the other end of the economic spectrum in 2020.

• c t
    3 years ago

Some people lead very sheltered lives.

Why would people forced to spend more time at home commit suicide? Maybe they live with an addict or an abuser, and going to work was a respite! Or they wonder how long their boss can keep the business afloat?

Put off home repairs? Are you serious? I had a well pump replaced this week, and the plumber noticed my oil tank was rusted almost all the way through. Which of those things should I have postponed? Go without water? Or let my oil tank rust totally through so the oil contaminates the well? I'm a senior citizen, and my house (thankfully) is paid for, but my income just about covers living expenses and home maintenance. If the woman mentioned above needs home repairs maybe her CHILDREN should chip in? and what about senior citizens (like me) who are child free? Let our houses go to ruin?

Bully for you if you don't have any concept of how the real world lives.

• petalique
    3 years ago

ct,

It’s not clear who you are addressing, or why the harsh tone.

my acquaintance’s repairs are not at all emergencies like well pumps, leaks and hose sorts of things. She wants to get house painted (paint job now looks pretty good, some window boxes to house and deck.

Clearly, your well pump and oil tank are emergencies. Sorry you’re going through that expense and stress. Home up keep and taxes are costly.

Not all “home repairs” are emergencies. Person isn’t in a rough situation, nor financially strapped.

Why this comment?

“ Bully for you if you don't have any concept of how the real world lives.”

I see most here are quite cluey about many aspects of life. Lots of hard workers with discipline and goals.

And, most definitely, there are many many people forced to work at difficult and dangerous jobs, Screaming Pandemic just makes things much more difficult and dangerous.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

CT's comment was in reaction to a comment on one of the Glenda threads where someone mentioned that since Glenda owned where she lived she could afford to make any updates or repairs that were needed. Not true but that is what some people seem to believe. One of the reasons that older people give up their homes is simply because while they may own it with no mortgage they can not afford the repairs either taking the money from savings, if there is enough, or having a loan payment. Having a loan could mean making choices between eating, medicine, or loan payment. I live in an area of smallish homes 700-2500 sq ft. built after WWII and see if frequently. The house up the street 1600 sq ft on 1 1/2 acre recently sold for $155K with the notation that the owner could not afford to pay anything to update the property.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

^^^^No, pretty sure it was in response to Petalique’s post farther up in this thread. Where it was mentioned that a senior friend took a part time job so that he/she could pay for a home improvement.

My thought was that it’s too bad that she accepted the job when someone younger might need the job (income) to feed the family.

• petalique
    3 years ago

💉💉💉

Pfizer says it will be unlikely to have additional Covid vaccine for the US until the summer. It’s been reported that months ago the US had an opportunity to contract for many more doses but declined. That’s very unfortunate.

There is some moderate immunity conferred after the first shot, so that’s good news. The side effects felt after the second injection (a few weeks later) are along the lines of those experienced by the second Shingles shot — sore arm at the injection site for a day or two, and some feeling of blah all over. Just for a day or so. This demonstrates that the person’s immune system is responding.

The vaccine has NO virus in it, but instead just a piece of the genetic code of the virus. There is no way that the vaccine can cause the virus in those injected.

Dr. Kavita (sp) Patel (MSNBC) said she got to read some of the documents and details and is optimistic. A few weeks ago, she was waiting to see that information before committing to taking it.

In Wales, vaccinations have begun and their system of prioritizing and administering (the logistics, and set up) seem exceptionally well organized and thought out. Wales has been hit very hard.

From some of the video footage and narrative on MSNBC, it appears that after the vaccine has been removed from the very cold freeze, it can be administered within a five day window.

I am feeling better about this.

Oh, and as many of you might know, a lot of this vaccine development had been somewhat researched during the similar SARS epidemic. So researchers were not starting from a blank slate.

• woodnymph2_gw
    3 years ago

I heard other medical experts speak today on Covid and several have said we won't be freely hugging and shaking hands unmasked until at least fall of 2021. And that, assuming most get the vaccine. Also, one of the possible side effects seems to be Bell's Palsy. Another group of doctors warned that those who are prone to allergies should not get the Covid vaccine. Not good news for those folks. I think one of the biggest problems in the US will be that so many will refuse to get the vaccine, for various reasons.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Pfizer can't deliver the # of doses that they said they could deliver anyway.

Pfizer shares fell Thursday after a report said the U.S. drugmaker expects to ship half of the Covid-19 vaccines it originally planned for this year due to supply-chain problems.

The Wall Street Journal, citing a person directly involved in the development, said some early batches of the raw materials needed for the vaccine failed to meet standards. Pfizer now plans to ship 50 million vaccines by the end of the year, down from the original 100 million it had hoped to send out, according to the Journal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/03/pfizer-shares-fall-on-report-company-cut-its-covid-vaccine-rollout-target.html