SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_loesch_meyer

Which type of grass should I get? Or is it hopeless?

I'm in Central Florida, Zone 9b, sandy crap soil, no working irrigation system currently. Maybe be able to fix the one that is here, but not much money to install a new one. Do have a hose, rotary sprinkler to put on it, etc. Grass when we moved in was Bahia...but sparse at best. It looks terrible, has lots of bare patches, and the bits that do grow have those terrible seed heads that make it look ridiculous even before the grass itself is ready to be mowed. And honestly, there may be more weeds than grass, plus lots of dirt visible. I want to make it look better, on a budget. Considering putting down bermuda seed, the kind that is coated with fertilizer and such like EZ Seed, or plugs of St. Augustine, or???? Oh, compounding the issue is the red maple in the front yard that has roots that go EVERYWHERE just under the surface (and above the surface in a few spots). I've never done lawn stuff before, it was always my husband or teen but my husband took on a second job and the teen now works full time and I've taken it over. I've learned to mow, trim, and edge, and this week put down plastic edging and mulch over a big area, with some flowers, etc. So that looks nicer, but now to do something, anything, about the lawn. I do have young kids that like to play out there, kick a ball, etc so pretty much has to be grass. Whats my most budget friendly option, that is do-able for a 40 something year old mom to do on her own? Or is it hopeless?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths