Odd recipes you love or food combinations

Judy Good

My DD and I love "broccoli taco's". I sauté broccoli, onion, garlic, s+p. Put on a tortilla and top with cheese, I prefer fresh Parmesan cheese. Roll it up and eat.

I always put Ketchup on my roast, drives everybody nuts. But I love it.

SaveComment69Like
Comments (69)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yeonassky

Not sure how weird this is but I like peanut butter and bananas so I top my banana with peanut butter and eat it with a spoon. Don't like bananas alone don't like peanut butter alone love them together. Go figure.

I would completely eat the broccoli tacos I'm a veggie lover all the way. Can't eat beef or ketchup nowadays but used to love ketchup on everything. My daughter was disgusted with me particularly when I put it on eggs.

Save     Thanked by Judy Good
quasifish

The broccoli tacos sound yummy. We make fajitas with sauteed summer squash, onion, and peppers rolled in a tortilla (with ranch and pepperjack cheese).

I just finished eating a granola bar that was topped with jam. We have a relative who gives us really good homemade jam on occasion, but it's not something we usually eat, so I tried it on a granola bar as a way to use it and enjoy it. Now whenever they give us a jar, this is where it goes.

I don't know if this is weird, but sometimes when I need a good energy boost, I'll mix together chocolate chips, coconut, and quick oats, then bind them with peanut butter and eat it with a spoon. You don't need much of any of those ingredients to make a little power snack.

Save    
Chi

I don't know of anything super weird that I eat, but I have been known to dip fries in a chocolate shake! Not very often as I rarely have shakes, but I love the sweet and salty combination.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

Enjoy my oatmeal, thick, no runny. Top it off by stirring peanut butter in before eating, while it is still hot.

Save    
katrina_ellen

I like graham crackers with cream cheese and a fruit spread on top. It kind of tastes like cheesecake.

1 Like Save    
sleeperblues

Or peanut butter on apples, yum

Save    
Lindsey_CA

"I always put Ketchup on my roast, drives everybody nuts. But I love it."

"... used to love ketchup on everything. My daughter was disgusted with me particularly when I put it on eggs."

My Uncle Joe used to put ketchup on everything. I can remember one time being at my aunt and uncle's house and Uncle Joe was eating before going to work (swing shift). Aunt Helen put a bowl of chicken noodle soup on the table and Uncle Joe put ketchup in it. My sister and I were both ready to gag.

I do not put ketchup on eggs, but I do love spaghetti sauce on scrambled eggs.

"I have been known to dip fries in a chocolate shake! Not very often as I rarely have shakes, but I love the sweet and salty combination."

Yes! Fries dipped in chocolate shake are awesome! Years ago I used to love to have chocolate ice cream and potato chips. Similar to the fries and ice cream, but crunchier. The combo of sweet and salty as well as creamy and crunchy... yum!

Save    
Fun2BHere

When I was at university and mostly broke, my friends and I would go to a coffee shop and order a hot fudge sundae and french fries to share. It was delicious, full of fat, salt and sugar and lots of calories for a relatively small price. I'm sure it was great for our arteries, too.

As an adult, I always liked thousand island dressing on my fries. That was when I could still eat french fries.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I like to make an open faced sandwich or toasted bagel smeared with cream cheese and then cover the cream cheese with alternate rows of halved olives stuffed with pimento and pecan halves.

Save    
DawnInCal

In Thailand, there is a condiment known as prik. Prik is finely ground (about the texture of coarse black pepper) dried Thai chili peppers. It is put in shakers and used to season food at the table. One of the things they do with Prik is mix it with salt and sugar and sprinkle the mixture over fruit, particularly unripe papaya. I love that combination of sweet/salt/heat over the crunchy/tart papaya, but it's good on all types of fruit.

I've been able to find prik at Asian markets here so I can now make this special treat at home. I also like to sprinkle prik over fruit salad that has been topped with vanilla yogurt and granola.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

DawnInCal, Prik sounds delicious!

2 Likes Save    
Feathers11

Yes, prik sounds interesting! I'm on the lookout for it now.

Save    
nycefarm

Baked beans and tuna salad... eaten together but not mixed up together.

Save    
Bluebell66

Penzeys sells "Pico Fruta" that is delicious on fruit - for those who like the sound of Prik. Pico Fruta ingredients: chili pepper, sugar, lemon peel, citric acid, salt, cilantro.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

Fun2BHere, it is my favorite seasoning for food. I put it a lot of savory dishes, eggs, sprinkle it on meat, on ice cream and it's also good on popcorn. It's become a great salt substitute for us.

Good luck with the hunt, Feathers! If you have Asian markets in your area, they should carry it. It's probably available online too, but I've never looked.

Bluebell, the Pico Fruta sounds good too. I think I have something similar that I found at a Dollar General. It's a product of Mexico and contains ground chili pepper, dehydrated lime and salt. It's also very good on popcorn especially when one is wanting a bit of a citrus kick.

edit to add that out of curiosity I did a quick google search for ground Thai chili peppers and found them on ebay, Amazon, Spice Jungle, Snuk Foods as well as several other vendors.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

I add just a little, teaspoon or less, of catsup/ketchup to the gravy when I order a hot beef sandwich. Most of the stuff they use currently has little beef flavor but the red stuff helps bring out what is there. Too much turns it even worse.

Not certain where is was in relationship to the college I attended but a place called Manny's would serve chunky blue cheese dressing if you asked for it with French fries. The group I was in added just a touch of catsup and it was heavenly. I think they made their own dressing because I have never found any similar.

1 Like Save    
socks

Chili with beans over chopped raw cabbage. Grated cheese on top.

Catsup in tacos. Real gringo style.

Save    
ladypat1

French fries with cream chicken gravy. Just smother fries in gravy. I only get it at restaurants that have good gravy.

Save    
marcopolo5

I like medium heat salsa mixed into cottage cheese . Also gucamole and fresh chopped tomato on farmers cheese is a favorite breakfast or lunch.

Save    
liira55

I like jam on my cottage cheese and I get French fries with mayo.

Save    
colleenoz

There is an appetiser served in Chinese restaurants here called Prawn Toasts, sort of mashed shrimp bound with egg white and spread onto small squares of bread and fried. They're quite tasty, but even more so with maple syrup.

I also like maple syrup with bacon or link sausages.

Save    
glenda_al

How about pig candy! Fun to make and unusual!

Save    
lisa_fla

Many years ago when I worked I often ate green beans over cottage cheese. I ate it all the time! Never anymore.

For the last year or so when I snack on an apple I slice it and dip the slices in yellow mustard. Yum!

Save    
abbisgram

I found this hint on a bag of snow peas: open bag, spray a little cooking spray in, add taco seasoning and shake. I microwaved them first, I don't like them raw. There was moisture in the bag from steaming them, so next time I do them I'll take a few out and see if the seasoning will stick without the spray.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I rarely eat fries anymore, but there is one hamburger place we go to sometimes that makes delicious fries. We get one order that comes in a paper bag. I dip mine in malt vinegar. So good.

I have eaten banana and peanut butter sandwiches since I was a little girl. Don’t eat the bread anymore, so I too just smear the peanut butter on a banana (or an apple or celery) and enjoy.

Another is pimento cheese on a hamburger.

Save    
Rusty

Raw apples with Yancy's Fancy Hatch chili cheddar cheese. I can't always get that cheese, so will often 'make do ' with Kraft Pepper Jack cheese.

Crispy slices of bacon in a chunky peanut butter sandwich. I don't much care for peanut butter, but the bacon makes it pretty good. Chocolate syrup on saltine crackers. Hawaiian cheese ball with cinnamon graham crackers. Scrambled eggs with stewed tomatoes stirred into them as they cook.

Rusty

Save    
watchmelol

Sometimes I melt a bit of peanut butter on a burger. I like a slice of aged Swiss on toast and jam. I like cottage cheese and fruit but not together. I like a little sugar on my cottage cheese with the fruit off to the side. We have a lot of ethnic food available and I also grew up on foods differing from the standard American diet so it's really hard to come up with something I would call odd. I mean when one of your favorite soups as a child contains kidney and pickles with a dollop of sour cream what can one say?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Hmm. Don't know but is that Russian?

Save    
colleenoz

Potato wedges dipped in yoghurt and either Thai sweet chilli sauce or hot chilli sauce.

Save    
watchmelol

Yes Elmer. Add a bit of Polish tossed in along with a German grandfather. But most of our food leaned toward the Russian influence. My Polish grandmother married a Russian and my Russian grandmother married a German.

Save    
ratherbesewing

Cottage cheese and apple butter is a good combination.

1 Like Save    
ritaweeda

Ketchup on eggs is totally disgusting IMO but mustard on an egg sandwich is delicious! When I was a kid I used to love to mix corn and mashed potatoes together. Also a fried green tomato on a hamburger is just incredible. I think there's a dish in Canada that is french fries covered with gravy. Love maple syrup on the bacon or sausage.

Save    
aok27502

PB and banana is a perfect combination. Sometimes when I have to work outside all afternoon, I put it on a whole wheat tortilla. Two of those is enough to power me through an afternoon of cutting grass or shoveling mulch.

My dad took a PB and lettuce sandwich every day for years. That was odd.

1 Like Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Roasted peanuts and M&Ms. Apple slices dipped in warm caramel.

Save    
lgmd_gaz

As others have said, peanut butter spread on a banana is tasty. I add a slather of Miracle Whip on top of the PB. Now that is good eatin'. Used to love a toasted cheese sandwich with dark Karo Syrup. Open the sandwich when all toasted and drizzle the syrup over the melted cheese. Also beef gravy over bread with Karo Syrup added. Today's Karo isn't the same as what I loved as a kid on these goodies.

Save    
aok27502

I forgot to add, my boss thinks an adult eating peanut butter and banana is silly. She says "adults don't eat that, that's for children."

Save    
amylou321

I would have to told her that adults what what they want to, thank you very much.

I like fries dipped in tartar sauce, as long as it's made with dill pickle, not sweet pickle. I also like them dipped in ranch, or comeback sauce,as long as its not sweet. Ketchup is good for dipping too, but I always salt it first.

Save    
nicole___

I also like peanut butter on a banana...or sliced banana w/ peanut butter on a slice of bread. A bowl of cooked oatmeal with salt & pepper is a new favorite.

Save    
caflowerluver

When I was young, into my early 20', the only way I would eat eggs was with ketchup. I still put it on a fried egg sandwich. The only other thing I can think of is celery filled with PB as a snack. DH thinks it's weird. I also like maple syrup or honey over vanilla ice cream. I don't have that very often, who needs the calories. We use to do that over snow when I was very young.

Save     Thanked by Judy Good
caflowerluver

Forgot to add that I like Vermont extra sharp cheddar cheese melted over my apple pie slice. Must be a New England thing because DH, who is from Chicago, has always thought it was weird.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Extra sharp cheddar with jam, on apple pie, with peanut butter... not all at the same time, though!

I also like ice cream floats made with cranberry juice.

Save    
amylou321

I enjoy cheddar cheese eaten with barbeque chips used like a cracker. Usually the bbq pringles. The flavor combo is yummy. And I dont typically eat bbq chips by themselves.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

(most of this stuff doesn't seem all that odd, does that mean I'm the one who's odd?) Ketchup in chicken soup is odd.

Save    
Olychick

I love peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches...yum!

Save    
glenda_al

Enjoy potato chips in my blt sandwich

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

ketchup on "scrambled" eggs only...yes, to nice crisp fries dipped in a shake...McDonalds fries layed across their regular small hamburger or cheese burger. Slice of brownie in a small dish with some nice cold milk poured over it, eat with a spoon. Raw carrots with a slice of pizza...just started that. Something about that crunch of the carrot. Absolutely ketchup with roast, usually there are potatoes with that roast and you'll want ketchup for those too.

ETA: not an odd combination but a head ups if you like Wendys chocolate frosty...bored with your 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream?? And happened to have hot chocolate packages in the pantry......stir it in your vanilla ice cream...yumminess!!

Save    
daisychain01

cheeez whiz and honey sandwiches!

Save    
DawnInCal

I ordered onion rings as a side for my meal tonight. They came with ranch dressing for dipping. I asked our server to bring me ketchup. Hubby said that was a weird combo, but I disagree. Love onion rings dipped in ketchup!

Save    
lisa_fla

One day I was with my daughter and she took her Chick Fil A nugget and scooped a bit of ice cream off her cone with it. I said yuck. She made me try it! It’s very good! Who knew? One of her friends dips her McDonald’s fries in bbq sauce instead of ketchup. That’s good too!

Save    
J Williams

huh. I’ve tried lettuce and peanut butter when I was a kid, also cheese, it’s not too bad. Our weird family quirk is worcestshire sauce on mac n cheese (KD included), and using leftover sauce warmed up on toast. Now I’ve got my son hooked on that lol. I used to eat ketchup and eggs, now I prefer chopped fresh tomato sauteed, cooked tomato sauce or salsa (either fresh or cooked). My son had some weird food things when he was little, pickle and mayo sandwiches for ex., and he currently eats jam (out of the jar) with a spoon, salsa in a bowl (with a spoon presumably), and more recently, pasta sauce with bococini (I asked him if it was good and he said “not really” lol). My SIL got angry at me a few years ago when I introduced the possibility of peanut butter on a spoon to her son lol. I was eating luch with a friend and told me she makes split pea soup with caraway which I had never heard of, but apparently it’s a common variation. It’s interesting when you see people using different flavour palettes. Also, we knew a German family who ate ketchup on pasta as a regular weekday meal. I thought that was bizarre, until I was watching some European TV shows and saw people doing the exact same thing. It seems like ketchup on everything is common in Europe?

Save    
tvq1

I have a dear friend who puts grape jelly on sauerkraut! She said it was the only way her mom could get the kids to eat it. I tried it, surprisingly it's pretty good!

Save    
Judy Good

Another thing I must eat together is banana bread buttered with slice of cheese. Yummy!

Save    
Toni S

Cole slaw with whole roasted and salted almonds mixed in . So yummy.

Save    
ldstarr

My grandfather always put ketchup on buttered egg noodles. I like a peanut butter sandwich with pepperoni in place of the jam.

Save    
colleenoz

I don't think ketchup on anything is very common in Europe, J Williams. I don't recall seeing ketchup anywhere we went.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Ketchup in Europe? Maybe curry ketchup in the Netherlands. Mayo on fries in Europe, butter on all sandwiches, but ketchup i have rarely if ever seen in Europe.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Ditto to the ketchup in Europe. I don’t recall seeing it in great quantities anywhere there either. I personally rarely eat ketchup on anything anymore. I never liked it on anything except French fries and I seldom eat those anymore.

Guilty pleasure treat....scoop of vanilla ice cream with Welches grape juice poured over it. My mother called it a Purple Cow when we were kids and I passed the tradition along to my own kids and grandkids. They love it.

Save    
glenda_al

Scoop of good vanilla ice cream with a bit of freshly ground pepper. Yum!

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Vanilla ice cream with espresso poured on top .... Strauss’s vanilla ice cream for Californians.

Save    
ghostlyvision

Cantaloupe with a dusting of salt and pepper is good, a little salt on watermelon is okay too, if it's ripe and sweet. My hub likes graham crackers smeared with peanut butter and topped with a slice of cream cheese, then put into the toaster oven on broil until the cracker edges turn a little brown and crisp and the cream cheese gets melty.

I like mayo and ketchup mixed together to dip fries in, but a peppery cream gravy is better. I need to look for Prik, hub would love that!

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Feta cheese and watermelon.

1 Like Save    
Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Used to love a fried egg sandwich with a thin schmeer of jelly...

Save    
J Williams

A other weird thing (for me) was corn on sandwiches, corn was on/in everything while I was travelling thru Hong Kong many years ago. I thought the corn fetishization thing was a US thing, but do British people have a love for corn sandwiches? Or was that just some weird asian reinvention of “western” food?

Save    
natesg

Our family tradition is popcorn in a glass of milk and you eat it with a spoon. It’s a lot like cereal but better You can actually stuff a whole bowl in the glass. Best is oil popped with butter, the microwave kind is ok but not as good. This goes back to my great grandparents.

Save    
jemdandy

Instead of using salt and pepper to season mashed potatoes, on occasion, I like using Beau Monde ( a salt, onion, celery seed seasoning).

Save    
amylou321

Thought of another one. I have posted this here before. It's a chip dip that is a family recipe. Everyone who READS it thinks it sounds weird. Everyone who EATS it loves it.

2 8 oz packages cream cheese

4 oz can chopped black olives

2 or 3 tablespoons (give or take,enough to thin it, but not too much or it will be grainy) green olive BRINE

2 or 3 tablespoons grated onion with juice.

Mix together in mixer until well blended.

We eat it on chips, pretzels, as a sandwich spread, etc. Even the little kids go nuts over it. I often will make a quadruple batch for a family event, and the bowl is scraped clean. It sounds odd I know, but try it and you'll thank me......

1 Like Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Another thing: jalapeno brownies. Yes you heard me right, brownies with diced jalapeno pepper in the mix. The first bite it is a bit of a shock, but then the endorphins from the peppers and chocolate kick in -- totally addictive!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Styles Follow This Recipe for an Industrial-Style Kitchen
Durable materials and fixtures favored by chefs combine for a hardworking space full of aesthetic appeal
Full Story
Life 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story