SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
succulent_newbie

Help! I think I've destroyed my jade plants. Multiple problems.

succulent_newbie
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have two jade plants that seem to be struggling (and one of which is really struggling).

I could really use your help. I'm just about a year into trying to care for these and feel that two of them might be beyond salvation due to my previous neglect.

A bit of context: I got gifted 7 succulents when a friend was moving away. They were relatively mature, but also relatively neglected. Then they were given to me, who didn't realized succulents needed ANY attention (sorry!). Over the last year, I've learned a lot and think I've gotten into a good 'only-water-when-dry' routine and have a bunch of babies that I'm trying to grow from cuttings.

BUT, there are a couple of major issues still remaining:

Problem #1: The more colorful, squat jade had a few black spots (AND white spots!) that spread. Here it was when I first started taking notice. I've since pruned it but you can see the black spots were already there.

Here is a closeup now of the damage:

and another:

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago. I showed them to a friend who suggested it was mildew so, on a sunny day, I sprayed them with vinegar+baking soda and made sure they dried quickly. But now the leaves are even more withered and pale and very sad. The black spots have made very visible lesions on many of the leaves (starting from the edges) and a lot of the bottom leaves are pale and withered and white-ish. I have been now considering just pruning aggressively down to the trunk...but it's autumn now. Is this bad timing? I don't want to neglect them any longer after so much damage, though.

Problem #2: The second (greener, taller) jade also has black spots (and a couple of the white ones). It looks like this now:

You can see the black starts at the edges of the leaves. Is this the same problem? Will pruning solve this?

The other main issues affecting ALL 7 succulents that were handed down is...

Problem #3: The soil they were planted in had almost totally solidified. The water would just run off of them. (I think this has been the cause of the pale color of all 7.) I soaked/cleaned the roots of one of them (not these ill jades) to get all the hardened, caked soil off and separated it into two. I'm currently letting it dry (since I had to cut a thick root) and will repot in a couple days. I'm really eager to do this with the remaining 6 (including the two sick jades), but I'm nervous that it is becoming too cold. (It'll be 27 and 28 this week though, but I likely won't get to the others until later in the month.) I'm also nervous about pruning the colorful jade so aggressively before repoting. (Am I making up this worry out of nowhere or is it a valid concern?)

Adding clarification: I should clarify that I'm in Melbourne, Australia, where it is 27 degrees Celsius today (80 F) but we are between seasons, so some days are about 60 F--big range! (And nights are around 50 F.)

I could really use your help. I have really enjoyed newly caring for these plants and would be very sad to think that I have made it worse. Thank you so much in advance for any thought or advice you could all offer!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner