SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Morning Glory muffins: they did not brown

This was my first time making these from scratch. I used to use a frozen tub of batter from GFS marketplace and those were always very brown, rich: a lot like carrot cake (They stopped carrying that item). I have had them from bakeries before too: usually a deep brown in color; nice crust, brown inside as well.

Despite all the good ingredients in these, they are barely brown on the surface and the inside is only light brown. When they were not brown at the right time I kept them in an additional 8 minutes, with hardly any change. They were testing “done” so I judged any additional time would have just dried them out.

Texture is good. The most prominent flavor, though, is the coconut. Nice, but to me: not a Morning Glory muffin.

Could it be that baking at 350 F is not high enough?

I scanned the other recipes I have copied and they are very close to the one I used. I am no food scientist (it seems like I say that a lot lately). What would make one recipe brown and rich and another not? Molasses? Brown sugar? Melted butter instead of oil? Some other magic?

I’m wondering if it is worth tweaking this recipe or start over with a recipe that looks different.

Morning Glory Muffins

1/2 Cup Raisins

2 Cup Flour

1 Cup Sugar

2 Tsp Baking Soda

2 Tsp Cinnamon

1/2 Tsp Salt

2 Carrots Grated; to equal 2 cups

1 Apple, Green; Grated

1/2 Cup Almonds, Sliced (I subbed walnuts)

1/2 Cup Sweet Shredded Coconut

3 Eggs

2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil

2 Tsp Vanilla

Soak raisins in hot water to cover for 30 minutes; drain thoroughly. Preheat oven to 350.

Mix flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon & salt in bowl.

Stir in raisins, carrots, apple, almonds & coconut. Beat eggs with oil & vanilla to blend. Stir into flour mixture until just combined. Divide into muffin cups.

Bake until golden brown & tested, 20 - 22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.

12 Servings

Comments (9)