SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

If you watch Jeopardy . . .

Alisande
5 years ago

No spoilers here, in case you haven't seen tonight's episode, but what a unique champion we've had this week! Never have I seen a contestant bet the way he does. I guess this is no surprise, as he says his career is "professional sports gambler." I didn't realize one could make a living gambling legally. Gambling doesn't appeal to me at all, but he's added an exciting element to the show.

Comments (55)

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Phyllis, yes, I noticed her speech. I also noticed the woman whose clicking of her device was rapid and rather loud--and also mostly futile. Those who compete against him must realize early on that they're doomed. I feel sorry for them, but it goes with the territory when you get on Jeopardy.

Is there an upper limit for winnings? In other words, will they stop James at some point, or will he still be on the show five years from now, raking in billions? ;-) I didn't have TV during Ken Jennings' reign, so I don't know how that turned out.

I wonder what will happen if they have another team tournament of champions, as they did earlier this year. Assuming James will be a team captain, will he order his team to bet as he does . . . ?

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

This thread has intrigued me, I'll try and find this week's episodes on the internet.

I'm not sure what kind of gambler he is, I'm only somewhat familiar with professional poker players. Daniel something, a Canadian earns millions as a poker player.

• Related Discussions

Watching Jeopardy?

Q

Comments (21)
    I remember watching when Ken Jennings was defeated. The winner looked stunned, as I suppose anyone would be. I do remember when Art Fleming was the host. Seems like that show has been on forever, but I enjoy it more all the time. Funny story -- my son's friend delivered pizza for a time. He said whenever he delivered to older people, they would have Jeopardy on the television. We know never to call my mother between 7 and 7:30 because she is watching Jeopardy. Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Jenniings loses
    ...See More

If you watched Jeopardy last night . . .

Q

Comments (35)
    I'm sure you're right, Walnut, but we're all entitled to our individual preferences. Her demeanor at the very end of the show did not draw me in, but today I watched Alex's interview with her (referenced by Rob above), and I found that a lot more appealing. I can't find a free source for watching Jeopardy episodes online. Anybody know of one?
    ...See More

Jeopardy people, how do you like Austin Rogers?

Q

Comments (27)
    Yes, I think the questions have gotten easier. And I think the Final Jeopardy questions have gotten a little harder. Years ago it was often possible to make an accurate guess based on the information provided in the question, even without much familiarity with the subject. But that hasn't been true for some time, at least not for me. BTW, what was yesterday's Final Jeopardy question? I missed the last part and don't know the question nor the answer. Thanks!
    ...See More

Still watching Jeopardy!?

Q

Comments (44)
    James is a Chicago area guy, and I heard a bit of an interview with his brother on the radio. The brother says James never did homework but aced exams, especially in math. In college he didn't go to class regularly, but took the exams, but that backfired on him once: because he didn't go to class, he didn't know the final exam day had changed, and he showed up for it a day late, and hence failed the course. I also heard he prepares for things like this by reading middle-school-targeted books. They have a lot of information presented in an interesting way for people who aren't interested lol. So in that way, he kind of has the edge that Ken Jennings had: he was a test-writer, or something like that. Ken said the category he had to study was Potent Potables, because he doesn't drink. James is clearly highly gifted (probably profoundly gifted) and is able to soak up information like a sponge, "figure things out", and apply what he learns in interesting ways. And he's not afraid to take chances! After all, now that he has all this money, he can play around, guess, hesitate on buzzing in, skip the buzzer, and wager whatever he wants, large or small.
    ...See More
  • Janie
    5 years ago

We are enjoying watching him very much and hope he breaks Ken Jennings record :) You might enjoy this article about him -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/10/secret-weapon-sports-gambler-who-just-broke-single-game-jeopardy-record-childrens-books/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.2bc6b03fc202 

• graywings123
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

He is able to do math in his head quickly. You notice it when he is placing a bet and wants to end up with a certain string of numbers as a result if he answers correctly.

James had one sort-of off day during the week that makes me think he is vulnerable. He still won, but, maybe now that he has topped the one day record, he is less driven to have an ultra high amount of money at the end of each game.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Janie, that was a good article--thanks! This is so nice:

“Family and friends will always mean more to me than any amount of money or ‘Jeopardy!’ wins,” he told The Post. “I wanted to show them my love in an unconventional way.”

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I watched once last week. He's A M A Z I N G !

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

DH and I have been discussing him. He is really good. DH wonders how long he can keep this up or does Jeopardy need to bring in a ringer like Ken Jennings? That would be fun to see. Can't wait to see what happens on the next tournament of champions!

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Janie, is there any way you can post the full article here (if it's short)? I don't know how to temporarily lift my adblock and can't see the article otherwise.

It's wonderful to watch this guy--part of me wonders if they "saved" him as a treat for Alex as he fights his cancer. :) I never knew there were professional sports gamblers--did I hear that correctly? He is a joy to watch play, that's for sure!

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The article states that his daughter was born in November, yet he wished her a happy birthday this week. Are the shows taped that far in advance? Maybe he has two daughters, but I've heard him mention only one.

Sjerin, in case Janie doesn't come back to the thread I'll answer that the article isn't very short and is broken up by ads, etc., on the screen. It's from the Washington Post, so possibly other news outlets have picked it up and you can find one by Googling.

• patriciae_gw
    5 years ago

The amount he ended up with was the date of his daughters birthday, the day he won was not nor the day it was shown. It was the amount.

The person who previously had the largest total for a day wasn't Ken Jennings. It was someone else (it was $77,000, new is over $110,000) Ken Jennings is also not the person who has won the most money. He won for the most days in a row.

This new guy is pretty amazing. Fast and knowledgeable plus he knows how to bet.

I have noticed over the years that women are doing better. Women in the past were never willing to bet big enough. It isn't real money until you win.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Patricia! I should have realized he didn't have friends/family with birthdays five or 6 days in a row. :-)

• Janie
    5 years ago

Here is the text of the article for Sjerin - it is from The Washington Post, Morning Mix -

The secret weapon of the sports gambler who just broke the single-game ‘Jeopardy!’ record? Children’s books.

'Jeopardy!' contestant wins $110k, sets single-day record

James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler, won $110,914 on April 9 to break the single-day cash winnings on Jeopardy!. (Drea Cornejo/The Washington Post)

By Meagan Flynn April 10

The 34-year-old from Naperville, Ill., says he hasn’t studied anything extensively, except for the lyrics to every Led Zeppelin song and an exhaustive list of all-time home run leaders in Major League Baseball.

He plays a lot of bridge with competitors twice his age, and he gambles on sports in Las Vegas for a living.

But when he’s not doing that, you might catch him at the library.

Back in the corner where the children’s books are shelved, you’ll find James Holzhauer — Tuesday’s “Jeopardy!” champion who annihilated the show’s single-day winnings record by more than $30,000.

Holzhauer brought home $110,914 after reaching into his mathematics background to correctly answer “What is quantum leap?” in Final Jeopardy, marking his fourth consecutive victory on the show. He shattered the previous single-game winnings record of $77,000, set by Roger Craig in 2010. And with a total of $244,365 in regular-play winnings from the four episodes, his success has led the “Jeopardy!” die-hards to wonder whether he’s the show’s “next great champion.”

His secret? Those informational children’s books.

“They are chock-full of infographics, pictures and all kinds of stuff to keep the reader engaged,” he told The Washington Post via email. “I couldn’t make it through a chapter of an actual Dickens novel without falling asleep.”

Holzhauer took “Jeopardy!” by storm over the past week, missing only four out of 133 questions as he cruised to smashing victories, ESPN reported. He knew his ballpark cuisine, his country music, his 18th century science and Hollywood history. He even knew that “Sadie Lou” was a nickname for Sarah Lawrence College, because he and his wife had studied the etymology of the name “Sadie” while picking out baby names.

From his first appearance last Thursday, it was clear Holzhauer would wager big. “James Holzhauer is from Las Vegas,” host Alex Trebek said, introducing him. “He is a professional sports gambler. What does that mean, exactly?”

“Oh, I’ll bet on anything,” Holzhauer told him.

But on “Jeopardy!,” his bets weren’t always strategic. They were personal. For every big wager, the amount of money Holzhauer bet coincided with a date: his wedding anniversary, the birthdays for his dad, nephew and daughter. He won exactly $110,914 on purpose on Tuesday, planning it all along. His daughter was born on 11/09/14.

“Family and friends will always mean more to me than any amount of money or ‘Jeopardy!’ wins,” he told The Post. “I wanted to show them my love in an unconventional way.”

He had been preparing for his run at “Jeopardy!” for a long time. A really long time. Holzhauer said he had dreamed of being on the show since he was a kid, back when the Chicago Cubs and “Jeopardy!” were about the only two things his family watched on school nights. “More importantly,” he said, “I promised my dear Granny that I would appear on ‘Jeopardy’ one day, and I never take promises lightly. So here we are."

He had always been somewhat of a whiz kid. In high school in Naperville, a western suburb of Chicago, he was part of a team that won the Worldwide Youth in Science and Engineering state competition. He placed first in physics and second in mathematics — a background that would come in handy when “Physics Terms” was the Final Jeopardy category on Tuesday. He got his bachelor’s in mathematics from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, but he had his sights set on betting, melding his love of sports and knack for stats.

“I think it was a huge advantage that I don’t blink at gambling large amounts of money when I think I have a big edge,” he said. “I approach both sports betting and ‘Jeopardy!’ with the same attitude: What can I do differently than the average person to give myself an edge?”

It could be that he reads children’s books. It could also be his rigorous training watching back-to-back reruns of “Jeopardy!” on DVR for hours at a time — while standing in dress shoes, just so it feels real. “Dr. Scholl’s insoles should offer me an endorsement deal,” he said.

He had been well prepared for his appearance on “Jeopardy!” this week, in large part, because it wasn’t his first time on a televised game show before a national audience. In 2014, he first caught trivia lovers’ attention on Game Show Network’s “The Chase,” where he zipped through trivia questions about everything from impressionism to the sports film “Field of Dreams” to glaucoma, and helped his team win $175,000. USBets reported that one commentator had offered this glowing assessment of his performance: “If in a hypothetical scenario, aliens attacked Earth and the future of Earth hinged on James’ ability to win a quiz, we would all be partying.” He also appeared on ABC’s short-lived “500 Questions.”

Holzhauer was already bent on cracking Craig’s single-game record the moment he got the call from producers asking him to appear on the show. The record-holding contestants are legends among “Jeopardy!” die-hards, archived like the big swingers on Holzhauer’s record-holding MLB list. “Jeopardy!” fan websites track every single player, recording their names into eternal game-show lore. By Monday, as Holzhauer was fresh off two straight wins, fans began questioning whether he was headed to the all-time leader board.

“Who will be the next great champion?” a “Jeopardy!” teaser asked.

“Based on two games, it must be James Holzhauer,” one fan wrote. “He plays like the other greats.”

“This guy is a beast!” another wrote.

“Is it too soon to start thinking about Ken Jennings comparisons?” Trebek asked after Holzhauer’s big win Tuesday, referring to the legendary contestant who won 74 straight games in 2004, the current record, and took home more than $2.5 million during that run.

The makings of Holzhauer’s record-breaking win on Tuesday was a mishmash of subjects including Asian cities, architecture, music festivals and American outlaws.

“In 1904 Oklahoma City policeman Joe Burnett killed Ed O’Kelley, who had killed Robert Ford, who had killed this outlaw,” went the first Double Jeopardy! round’s Daily Double.

“Who is Jesse James?” Holzhauer answered.

“In Andalusia Arabic calligraphy represents this style named for medieval visitors from Africa,” went the second Double Jeopardy! round’s Daily Double.

“What is Moorish?” Holzhauer knew.

And then came the Final Jeopardy! clue.

“You’re $4,400 off the one-day record, James,” Trebek told him.

“Okay, I’ll try,” Holzhauer said.

The clue came: “Ironically, a metaphor meaning a huge step forward, but this 2-word process only occurs on a subatomic scale."

The bet: $38,314. With the correct answer of “What is quantum leap?,” he brought his total to $110,914.

“Happy birthday, Booger <3,” he wrote to his daughter, alongside his final answer.

“Since I could have bet more on Final Jeopardy,” he told The Post, “it’ll end up being the most expensive birthday gift I ever get my daughter.”

He said he celebrated the win “the same way I end every day: wiping my daughter’s butt and reading her a bedtime story.”

The book, he hoped, might come in handy down the line.

• liira55
    5 years ago

I’ve been watching him. I also saw him on the game show The Chase. I do find him a bit arrogant though. He doesn’t let Alex finish talking before he starts a catagory.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

Thank you, Janie, that was fun to read. :)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I love all things Jeopardy. But I really am dying to see him get any and all double jeopardy this week. He is amazing!

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

He got both Double Jeopardy clues last night.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What happened on Jeopardy last night (Tuesday)? I didn't get home in time to watch it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

but that would be a spoiler. you said no spoilers ;)

(there. Messaged you)

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you, Rob! I figured we were past the point of anything being a spoiler, but you're right--we have no way of knowing.

• janey_alabama
    5 years ago

I am really enjoying him.

• Janie
    5 years ago

I am enjoying him also! But I feel for the other contestants - some of them get some very respectable scores, but they just can't compete with James. And as much as I enjoy him, I really don't like that he begins his opening question with the $1,000 box and then works backwards. So if one of the other contestant gets to answer something correctly, they get a much smaller amount than what James usually has accumulated! But, I suppose its all legal, I just think its a bit sneaky - guess its his gambler's soul and just part of the game :)

• graywings123
    5 years ago

He has been up against some really good players who, under other circumstances, would have probably won. Maybe the 5 game limit - which they eliminated - had its merits.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Alisande,

I told you about Monday?! Apparently, I missed last night. Watching it right now

• Lindsey_CA
    5 years ago

Jeopardy! airs on ABC at 7:00 here in the greater Sacramento area. But our CBS station airs prime time an hour early - so programs that air at 8:00 elsewhere are shown at 7:00 here (same as Central Time, even though we're Pacific Time). We saw it on Monday, but last night we were watching NCIS at 7:00 so we missed Jeopardy!, and tonight we'll be watching Survivor at 7:00 so we'll miss it again. Thursday (tomorrow) we'll get to see again, unless it's preempted for something on the Mueller report...

• phyllis__mn
    5 years ago

I have two stations that carry Jeopardy, at different times, but I tape it every day.........

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

They were introducing him as a "sports gambler", but tonight they introduced him as a "sports consultant".

• Uptown Gal
    5 years ago

I wonder if they thought that the word "gambler" might put them in "iffy" territory. Alex

said something about "the dealers in Vegas probably know you", and he said,

"oh, they know me!". Arrogant pup. :)

• Bluebell66
    5 years ago

I’m really enjoying James. I don’t think his strategy is sneaky at all. It’s practical and smart. Anyone else could do the same thing - it very well may be the only way another contestant will beat him at his own game.

• tackykat
    5 years ago

We started taping it everyday a few months ago. I think his method makes so much sense and I wonder if it will change the way everyone plays from now on.

I am surprised no one thought before to start with the big $ clues at the bottom. Then you accumulate more $ that you can bet when you get a Daily Double. I think I have only seen him state an incorrect answer in one Daily Double (and go back to $0) but it was very early in the game. But he usually doubles his $ and then he cannot really be caught.

I am not sure how he can be beat!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I told my son he'd get to see him play when he came home in two weeks, because I'm sure he'll still be on. He is amazing. Getting the daily doubles is hard enough, but he gets them right too. It's not just his strategy. I've decided that. I think he's a gambler because he's smart enough to know how to do it enough to make money at it. It takes more than luck to be good at it.

• Alisande
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I could be wrong, but I believe it was the Las Vegas bookies they were talking about, not the dealers, when James said they knew him. I never got the impression he gambled at the tables; it's sports he bets on.

I wonder if it will change the way everyone plays from now on.

I think that's a distinct possibility. In fact, I'll bet on it. :-)

• schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

Matt Jackson used to skip all over the board, seemed to have a plan, I remember people were upset with him as well.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I think James' wagers and tactics are awesomely exciting. He's pretty cool. Very different than say, Ken Jennings, but cool in his own way. Smart cookie. A sort street smart cookie.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

page cannot be found.

I was just wondering how Alex is doing.

• socks
    5 years ago

I was wondering that too, rob. He'll be off for the summer, and I read they are working on next season. Let's hope....

I'll join any other outliers here in not enjoying James' overwhelming performances. I enjoy a true competition, sometimes one coming from behind, etc. So disappointing for the losing contestants.

• Eileen
    5 years ago

Does that mean that James will come back in the fall? Do they air reruns over the summer?

• graywings123
    5 years ago

Toby, they finished taping the shows for this season, but they will continue airing them. They tape multiple shows a day and then air them one per weekday.

• patriciae_gw
    5 years ago

Socks, interesting point of view. There is a Scifi story of gifted people having to wear impediments that make them equal to normal people. Superior ballerinas wear weights and mentally gifted people wear a head piece that makes piercing sounds in their heads every so often depending on how gifted they are and so on. the purpose was that no one should feel inadequate.

I have read that Alex Trebek doesnt like people to start at the bottom. It annoys him but I suspect it wastes clues when people don't understand the category. I have noticed the champions usually start in the middle and then go down and then up the strategy obviously being to learn the category and go for the big money first. It always annoys me for people to leave the big money and cover all the cheap and easier stuff.

• georgysmom2
    5 years ago

A new record set again.........I can't help thinking, you take the test, then you get the call that you made it and you're going to be a contestant on the show. How exciting that must be and then, you are on against a James. How depressing. Any other time you might have been a champion at least once. Nevertheless, I am enjoying him.

• amicus
    5 years ago

I think I would do badly as a contestant, because I would probably be incompetent getting my buzzer to ring in fast enough, lol! Typically I do well with categories about Literature, Medicine, Geography, Movies/t.v. shows, and North American and European History (not knowledgeable enough about history of most other Continents.) Music and sports depend greatly on the era, regarding my knowledge level. I do okay at the 'Before and After' categories, but I'm downright horrible at categories connected to Mythology, Opera, Religion, Art History and Science Fiction.

But oddly enough, even if I do pretty badly during the general game, I seem to have a weird knack of getting the Final Jeopardy response correct, which accomplishes nothing, if one doesn't accumulate enough money beforehand, to win the game!

• liira55
    4 years ago

Tuesday's episode that had the catagory as Canadian city nicknames- never heard Edmonton referred as Big Eddy. We are known as the City of Champions.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Regarding the taping of the show... They tape on Tuesday and Wednesday, three weeks out of the month. They tape five episodes each day they tape, so that’s 30 episodes (six weeks’ worth) taped each month.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

That is one of the most impressive things to me-the taping. For someone to stay focused for five contests and keep winning. How do they do that? I would be exhausted after a couple of them but the winner has to keep going. Two days back to back, ten shows? you have to respect that sort of ability.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

liira, I had no idea you were Albertan!

I haven't gotten around to watching any on-line episodes of this fellow. I have to, since he's apparently still going strong!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Starting at the bottom of a category is not unique to this champion; what is unique to him is zipping through all of the categories, knocking out the big numbers like a machine gun.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I’m obsessed with watching him. Who will ever beat him? I can’t imagine. Part of his strategy appears to be jumping from category to category. When his competitors take that millisecond to switch categpries in their head, he buzzes in.

• liira55
    4 years ago

Jasdip, I’m originally from Northern Ontario, but have lived in Edmonton for 30 years now.

• patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

Last nights show had some very long anagrams. He did them instantly. that is impressive. It is like he can do arithmetic so fast.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations