SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_tomoyasu

How to update this kitchen without painting cabinets?

Heather
5 years ago

I'm struggling SO hard with how to update this kitchen into something I will love and that will help when selling our small NYC co-op in a couple of years. I would love the remodel to brighten up the kitchen, my first plan was to paint cabinets white, get a white/grey quartz counter, and dark grey vinyl planking floor. but our contractor was VERY AGAINST painting the cabinets - he said it would look bad and keep show continuous wear and tear. Our cabinets are a nice color and in good shape, so I guess ideally we will leave them alone and just update the handles. We'll be updating all appliances to smudge-free stainless steel. But the (ugly IMO) brown granite counters and outdated tile floor, omg, help!! It's so hard finding photos of maple cabinets with floor, counter, and backsplash that really appeal to me. I've seen some grey counters (marble or even concrete look) I liked. I love the look of the grey "wood" (tile or vinyl planks) floor. But not sure how this would all look together, and with the stainless appliances, too matchy matchy? Or just the right amount of matchy? I would love love love any and all of your advice!!

Some key things to keep in mind:

1. total job under $10K

2. counters must be low maintenance and durable (heat/stain/scratch resistant)

3. we can take it down before we sell, but for now must leave the wall w/ small pocket door (it's our 3 young childrens' bedroom i.e. the previous dining room)

Thank you!!

Comments (34)