SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Lost a word this morning

lucillle
5 years ago

I was working on a project and wanted to look up something about Velcro. Except that I totally and completely lost the word 'Velcro' this morning. I knew what it was, could see it in my mind, I just couldn't name it. I searched on the internet 'hook and loop' and in about a minute I found it and recognized it when I saw it. Where did it go? Why, even though I could not at first call it forth, did I recognize it when I saw it?

This is not the first time I have had this happen, but Velcro is such a common and useful word, it isn't as if I haven't seen it for years.

Comments (43)

• sleeperblues
    5 years ago

I do that, too, and frankly it worries me. I've even talked to my husband about my fears I'm becoming demented at times. Not suggesting that you are, Lucille, but my mind used to be really sharp and I was quite witty. Don't think I am so much anymore. I'm not sure if it's just aging (will be 60 next month) or something else.

lucillle thanked sleeperblues
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

It happens to me, too. And then I do the internet search using similar words, just as you did.

lucillle thanked graywings123
  • Related Discussions

I lost a friend today

Q

Comments (18)
    Thanks to all of you for the kind words. There were so many people at the wake it took several hours for all of them to get in. So many flowers that they filled up 2 rooms. Mary would have have been pleased to know that she was so loved by so many people. Those of us who knew her best noted that it was past cocktail time and if I had a designated driver last night I surely would have gone to the country club and had a couple of drinks for Mary. She was always doing fun things and when you were around her you couldn't help but have fun. She was like the rest of us an avid reader and she was in bed reading when she passed. Now for those of us left here, life goes on and we'll go with it as far as it is meant for us to.
    ...See More

Words, Words, Words...

Q

Comments (49)
    Wood - Glad you are enjoying the wonderful "Child/Forest" book. My library has the prettiest edition of this, and I donated the other two in the trilogy, but have a strong feeling they went into the FoL book sale instead of on the shelves which I had intended to make up the trilogy for other people. As for the adding of the "-ie" sound to words in English, that is quite common even now. "Brekkies" - breakfast "Sarnies" - sandwiches "Prezzies" - presents/gifts Also, there used to be a penchant for reducing some names to "-az" such as: Sharon --> Shaz or Shazzer Barry --> Baz or Bazzer Des --> Dezzie This might just be my group of friends though... We had a mixed bunch (social class speaking) and I think this shortening was a lower class trend... I could be mistaken as it may vary in other regions...
    ...See More

OBF September: Morning glory mornings and Sunflowers days

Q

Comments (152)
    OK now that it is working. I am going to be lazy. Anybody who did not get there swap please message me. I will contac your person. My hand is in a plastic cuff. thank all you great laid back friends that made this swap a success.
    ...See More

I finally lost it this morning

Q

Comments (4)
    Hah! If it's a PBS station, better off emailing them. I'd be afraid they would try to hit me up for some money if I were to call them. Here they are constantly crying for people to leave money to them in their will, to pull money out of their IRA accounts (it's not counted as income if you do). Since my tax dollars have gone into funding PBS all those years that I worked, I feel like if all these guilt-ridden wealthy people want to donate so that all us unwashed masses can be educated, so be it. Just don't try to hit up a fixed-income senior with charity requests, thank you very much. BTW, they actually did answer my email! But it was so vague about what the plan was I'm not really sure if there was a solution to it. As for turning the channel, actually I just turn it off, there's nothing on that time of the morning on any of the other stations that I want to look at. We have 2 PBS stations here and the other one devotes weekday mornings to children's education shows. The rest of it is news.
    ...See More
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

DH and I do that now and then. It is a normal part of aging and I don't think it implies an oncoming dementia. I heard the difference described as not being able to remember where you put your keys is normal, looking at them in the palm of your hand and not know what they do is a warning sign.

lucillle thanked Elizabeth
  • socks
    5 years ago

May be the worry of not finding the word overtakes the brain’s thinking of the word. Sometimes I make myself let go of the word search for a few minutes and then go back to it.

i know, it’s disconcerting.

lucillle thanked socks
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Happens to me "all the time"! I just say, "I'm short on words". It just feels like my brain is full....and it pushed out something it didn't need. lol

lucillle thanked nicole___
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I think you can kind of jinx yourself in looking for a word. As soon as that little panic sets in......then you have to take a break before it will pop into your head.

Isn't it nice though that we can remember every single word to the Gillian's Island theme?

• colleenoz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I’ve been doing that for 40 years and it hasn’t gotten any worse so I wouldn’t stress too much. My DH still teases me about calling insect antennae “bug antlers” when I couldn’t think of the word back when we were dating :-D

lucillle thanked colleenoz
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Colleenoz -- Oh, that's precious: Bug Antlers!

I'm starting to conflate words. I'll start a sentence, then think of two different words that apply equally well to what I want to convey. Out of my mouth comes some weird combination of the two. It's usually adjectives or adverbs. (Ugly" and "Hideous" turn into one nonsense word.)

lucillle thanked chisue
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

I have been losing words too. It's alarming. I used to have an incredible memory and it isn't so incredible anymore! Lol. I do mention these kind of things to my doctor. I said you tell me when it's time to worry. She laughed and said OK.

However the doctors had recently changed my blood pressure medication to calcium channel blockers in addition to my beta blockers. The calcium channel blocker turned me into a bumbling zombie! I was in a fog and barely remembered my name! So definitely be aware that some medication can contribute! I told them to put in my chart never give me calcium channel blockers again. Both times I had them I had the same results. It does mention that in the side effects if you read about them. Just a few days after getting off of them I felt like a completely different person. The fog was gone, I wasn't stumbling over words and I wasn't in a sleepy stupor zombie state! My husband was so happy to have me back! He was very worried about me and he told my doctor he thought I was having little strokes. All of that because of a medication.

lucillle thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • bpath
    5 years ago

That's not new for me, losing words, but what IS new is, every so often, using the wrong word. For example, the other day I said "shoulder" for something completely unrelated that started with "s", not even "sh". I corrected myself immediately but just found it odd.

lucillle thanked bpath
  • User
    5 years ago

This happens all the time to me. I totally forgot the name of a boy killed 15 years ago although I was friends with the family and he lived next door to my daughter. I had to go thru the alphabet and came up with it. Other ordinary words escape me. Mostly I remember.

lucillle thanked User
  • Eileen
    5 years ago

This started with me after I turned 60. Sometimes I even type the wrong word here and have to go back and edit.

lucillle thanked Eileen
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

I've done that my entire life, although I notice as I'm getting older, I do it more often. I also conflate as described by chisue. I remember (good, I remember!) one time I was buying film and the clerk asked me if I wanted Kodak or Fuji film. I responded that I wanted Kojak film. Everyone (clerk, me, customers in line behind me) had a good chuckle over that one.

I've also been told the same thing as Elizabeth by a relative who works in the mental health field. If you can't remember where you put your keys, that's not cause for alarm, but if you find that you don't know what the keys are for, time to get checked out.

lucillle thanked DawnInCal
  • eld6161
    5 years ago

Yes, so common in those of a certain age. Elizabeth, my key story is that it's okay to misplace them but if you find them in the refrigerator then it's time to worry.

lucillle thanked eld6161
  • sleeperblues
    5 years ago

Feel a bit better that I'm not alone:)

lucillle thanked sleeperblues
  • ldstarr
    5 years ago

I call it "lost in the file cabinet" I know the word or piece of information, but am unable to get it right then. When I stop trying, it surfaces.

lucillle thanked ldstarr
  • yeonassky
    5 years ago

So sorry you were feeling the effects of losing words Lucille.

I do that when I get migraines. I have one today and I can't remember things when in conversation. It's because there's no blood properly going to my brain. Migraineurs develop white lesions on their brain which are spots where the brain cells are dying.

I hope yours is just a simple thing of too much information being stuffed in there and so the filing cabinet has overflowed as Idstarr said and the delete is not working the way it should be in your brain right now. Best to you.

lucillle thanked yeonassky
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

Me, also. Sometimes I can't think of a word, but I can think of a similar word that means basically the same thing, so I will use that.

lucillle thanked marilyn_c
  • stacey_mb
    5 years ago

I think best in visual terms. If I can't think of a word, I "see" the written word in my mind and then am able to say it. The long route to do a simple thing! lol!

lucillle thanked stacey_mb
  • maggie200
    5 years ago

Be careful who you vent to. A new Nurse Practitioner (young) asked me (elderly) if I were having any memory problems. I said I do forget words sometimes. She wanted to know what words. “Blender Stick”. She wrote on my online chart Memory Problems will discuss removing a drug. No, why would you suddenly do that I said. That is Wrong.

I want to be given time to adjust to my aging by myself. Now I have to defend myself? Groups like this give us confidence that wenarevnormal for our age so we help each other when we forget.

lucillle thanked maggie200
  • nycefarm
    5 years ago

My train of thought frequently departs the station with out me!

lucillle thanked nycefarm
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Maggie you have a good PA! As I said in my post there are some meds that can cause you to have these problems! It's a great idea to remove the possibility of the medication and see how you respond.

Luckily I knew that calcium channel blockers had the possibility of causing the type of problem I was having. Removing it, my return to my normal self, was proof it does not work properly for me.

lucillle thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    5 years ago

Statins will make me have problems even remembering what I am getting out of my chair for. However in this past year my bad spelling has gone to even worse. Tend to use alternatives after racking my brain for the correct term.

lucillle thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

The one word I am having the biggest problem with is - inconsiderate. And it happens a lot because there is a lot of inconsiderate people in my world lately! And since I don't type for a living any more I've noticed that I have developed some typing dyslexia - no problem reading but when I go to type a lot of times I type some words with the letters reversed, and it's happening automatically without thinking of it in my brain, in other words my fingers are doing it automatically. What's up with that??

lucillle thanked User
  • joyfulguy
    5 years ago

I often find it difficult to remember a word that I want ... or what did I come to this room for.

And sometimes when a middle-aged person speaks of mainly the forgetting words thing, I may helpfully offer, "I have news for you, buddy - it gets worse!".

I also have a problem (I wrote "probelm") with putting letters in the wrong sequence when keybroading, rita.

ole joyful

lucillle thanked joyfulguy
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

I remember being pregnant 50 plus years AGO. Spent the summer in Florida. Could not pronounce porpoise, now matter how hard I tried.

lucillle thanked glenda_al
  • roxanna7
    5 years ago

Ah, Glenda - anyone who was pregnant for 50 plus years in Florida gets a lifetime pass on many, many idiosyncrasies.... =)

lucillle thanked roxanna7
  • chisue
    5 years ago

I, too, have what I'd call 'typing dyslexia'. I reverse two letters in common words -- words that I've only been typing since I first learned to type in 1955.

lucillle thanked chisue
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

last night I wanted to tell my son to grab the "dental floss" but I couldn't think of the word dental...ugh!!!

lucillle thanked always1stepbehind
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

This is why words like thingamajig, thingy, doohicky and whatchamacallit were invented.

lucillle thanked DawnInCal
  • User
    5 years ago

This weekend my beloved spouse announced to the dog that she had a "bird leaf" stuck in her hair.

It was a feather.

:-)

lucillle thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

I'm so glad I read this post . My loss of words/memory had me worried. It bothers me when I forget something . If I can,I grab my computer and try and look it up. The last time I went to see my psychiatrist , I told him I'm worried about my memory. He said 4 random words and told me to remember them. At the end of my visit,he asked me what the words were. I stressed and strained so hard to remember them - I thought my brain was constipated because they just wouldn't come out. Took me awhile ,but I managed to remember 3 and he gave me a hint on the last word. He said I'm fine. If that's "fine" , I'd hate to see what "bad" is ......

lucillle thanked User
  • patriciae_gw
    5 years ago

I too have always had this problem. As a child I thought of it as having a sort of sieve as the floor of my brain and different sized marbles represented words that would drop into the holes. I did eventually learn from my mother that I was breech and didn't breath for a while after I was born. Well that explained a lot. I have learned coping mechanisms and going through the alphabet is one of them. I constantly reverse letters when typing but I am a lousy typist. I lack a proper left and right. Oh well. Since people call forgetting having a senior moment obviously it gets worse as you get older. I have a word I constantly forget. It is incredulous and I was able to remember it right away this time. Its a word people frequently misuse and I wonder if it is in for a permanent change. As long as I can wonder I think I am OK.

lucillle thanked patriciae_gw
  • chisue
    5 years ago

Hee-hee! I'm adding 'bird leaf' to 'bug antlers'. Anyone else have some creative substitutes?

lucillle thanked chisue
  • phyllis__mn
    5 years ago

Isn't it reassuring when you hear younger people forgetting a word?!

lucillle thanked phyllis__mn
  • Lars
    5 years ago

I've also had trouble remembering the four words given to me by a medical professional, and I think that measures short term memory. I can speak three or four foreign languages, and sometimes I get them mixed up and substitute Italian words for Spanish words, since I have a larger Italian vocabulary, even though I've spoken a lot more Spanish. I would like to learn Portuguese, but I think I might be too old for that now. I haven't learned a new foreign language since I was in my 30s, but I haven't lost them either.

I sometimes have trouble remembering an English word, and that seems to happen more often and not remembering a foreign word. I don't have an explanation for that. When I was speaking Spanish in Mexico (after only one semester of conversational Spanish at an adult education class), I would find creative ways of using what words I did know to get my point or idea across, and I think this exercise was very helpful for me in learning new Spanish words. You might try this exercise to help you remember English words as well, similar to what Marilyn_C suggested. Another exercise you can try is working on crossword puzzles. I think word puzzles are supposed to help your memory.

lucillle thanked Lars
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I didn't lose a word today; I lost a stick of butter. I had to take a pound of butter out of the freezer (evidently no one else in this house can take butter out of the freezer when the last refrigerated stick is placed in the butter dish), so I put two sticks in the MW to soften, to add to cooky dough. At the end of a few seconds one stick was still kind of hard, so I put it back for a few more seconds while I put the first stick in with the sugar in the mixer bowl, and turned it on to start the creaming.

I had the cookies baked and cooling when I opened the MW door to wipe the plate, as I was cleaning the kitchen. There was my second--nicely softened--stick of butter. :[

lucillle thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • artemis_ma
    5 years ago

I spent way too long trying to remember "smart stick" for that kitchen gadget.

But I'm not completely out of the woods. That's what Cuisinart calls theirs.

I'm still trying to recollect the generic name...

lucillle thanked artemis_ma
  • foggyj2
    5 years ago

I feel much better now, hearing we are in the same boat. Dawn in Cal, I must use at least one of those words every day! ...... mama goose, I have left the chips out of chocolate chip cookies! That's bad.

lucillle thanked foggyj2
  • colleenoz
    5 years ago

Stick blender, Artemis?

lucillle thanked colleenoz
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

My Granddaughter calls egg yolks "Egg pits". She does not like them. Now we all call them that.

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

happens to me all the time... but mostly, it is that I can't think of a word in one language but know it in the other. Trouble is, its usually the language spoken where I am presently, and I can think of it ( a word) in the language not spoken there...

Moni

lucillle thanked OklaMoni