SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piebs

Calacatta Clara or Calacatta Trevi?

Rosie
5 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with any of Calacatta Clara or Calacatta Trevi quartz for countertops? They're noted as being from Taiwan and I've read about issues around quartz from China, so thought I'd see if the group has any feedback. TIA!

Comments (78)

• HU-935614540
    3 years ago

Have you looked at Laza? It’s a bright white.

• Kaitlynn Benson
    3 years ago

Yes. I don’t want that much veining

• Related Discussions

Have to pick new backsplash - help

Q

Comments (6)
    Wow what a beautiful kitchen 😍😍😍 thank you for sharing!! I was worried about calacatta Clara without seeing many installed pics, but you’ve convinced me 🙌🏼 Going with BM Calm on walls & cabinets - and likely Zia 4x4 tiles in pure white— so our kitchens will be really similar!! Would love to see more photos in various stages of the day if you’re willing :))
    ...See More

New quartz counters staining

Q

Comments (20)
    “how would I be able to tell?” What Chispa replied above, and also a polished finish is reflective. Can you post a pic of the counter taken in daylight? Edited to add: I just looked at the MSI website. According to MSI’s Calacatta Trevi Quartz page it only comes in a polished finish.
    ...See More

Does anyone have any remnants of MSI CALACATTA TREVI?

Q

Comments (7)
    It really is so odd...I called about 5 local fabricators and no one seems to have that particular style (and I'm even willing to compromise and find something close) because this piece is detached from the other counters (the little one on the right). I'll keep at it, though, it sounds like this is the route to take. Thanks...I thought I was barking up wrong tree! (replacing the black laminate with Trevi quartz, and trying to avoid buying a 2nd slab for 13"!)
    ...See More

Has anyone used vadara fiore or calacatta ultra?

Q

Comments (15)
    @wendymariko you are very welcome. I would also recommend picking your slabs. I didn't, but I wish I had. There is a lot of variability in their slabs even though it is quartz. BTW - If you are using it with white cabinets the slab will look a little grey, over dark cabinets it will look white.
    ...See More
  • blyhoutz
    3 years ago

We are seriously contemplating the MSI Trevi as well. We prefer not to have a seam in our island and the Jumbo slabs limit our options. We liked the Laza but my husband has a thing against the little flecks/dots that the white in some of the designs have. (95% of people would never notice but he's super super picky) So that brought us to the Trevi.

krisleenyc - what did you decide for a backsplash? We are designing a similar kitchen. White uppers, dark dark blue almost black lowers. Would love to know what you guys did and see pics!

Kaitlynn Benson are you still debating?

• vinmarks
    3 years ago

Might want to take a look at the recent thread about someone having problems with Trevi:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5927143/new-quartz-counters-staining#n=11

• krisleenyc
    3 years ago

Blyhoutz

We are using this tile from floor and decor... with white grout. We wanted to have some gray as well in addition to the white and blue cabinets. Since the Trevi is kind of grayish it all ties nicely. We aren’t fully installed yet. Once the grout is done I will
    Post a picture.
    Backsplash:
    Iris Gris Polished Marble Mosaic
    Viviano

• nds _
    3 years ago

@Sam A Can you share what paint color / pulls you used in your Wet Bar? Really like how Clara looks against the blue/gray cabinets and bronze pulls.

• vandylaw06
    3 years ago

Just a heads up re Clara that, since MSI moved production from China to Taiwan, Clara is more beige than gray. (I took my sample (from last fall, though they still only have the "old" samples) to MSI last week and the color has definitely changed.)

• Sam A
    3 years ago

Nds _ rhey are Jeffrey Alexander in the darker bronze color. Highly recommend comparing the pulls with a paint swatch since they look so different with different colors.

• mleone
    3 years ago

@Sam A Thank you for the information on Calacatta Clara. I am looking at it along with Trevi. The tile in the photo of your bathroom struck me. Would you mind sharing what it is? (If I should ask this in a different place, feel free to let me know).

• Sam A
    3 years ago

@mleone it‘s a 4x12 porcelain tile laid in a herringbone pattern. It was purchased from Best Tile and the color is steel porcelain grey. I tried to look on my invoice and it says 9119 beside the color. I hope that helps!

• suzannecomella
    3 years ago

I'm also debating between Clara and Trevi for a home we have just purchased in Florida. Went to MSI in Chicago (where we currently live) today and still not quite sure. Am wondering if anyone has been to MSI Tampa? I might wait and go there so I can actually select my slabs.

• dove4all
    3 years ago

We live in Sarasota, FL and went to MSI Tampa yesterday....going back tomorrow. The showroom is bright and spacious, doesn't have samples of everything, but a decent selection. The service is excellent. The warehouse, to me, was rather dimly lit to tell if the background is creamy, light gray, or whiter white. I thought we'd go with Calacatta Monaco which we saw in the warehouse, but online it looks too overall gray. I want as white as possible, with thin gray veining. Any suggestions?

We have an appointment to go back tomorrow (it's 90 minutes away) to look at slabs of Trevi (no Trevi seen there the first time, ugh). Based on this mixed feedback about Trevi, now I'm wondering if we're barking up the wrong tree. Our cabinets will be white white, and we definitely want a thin gray vein vs. brownish. Thanks for any input, much appreciated!

• krisleenyc
    3 years ago

Check to see if they have Calacatta Ultra. We almost went with it but they didn’t have in stock. It’s very white with thin gray veins.

• fanaa25
    3 years ago

We just had Clara installed and it is much browner than the sample. I am just going to live with it but wanted to let you all know! When I went down to MSI Denver I didn't really have a chance to pick out a specific slab/lot because they're all shrink wrapped with plastic and they said they're all almost the same. Not true!! I am upset but its partly my fault for not pushing to pick out the exact slabs. Expensive lesson learned!

• Ellen Rand
    3 years ago

@Sam A did you purchase your cabinets and then have them repainted repose grey? I’m in prices of renovation and will be redoing all of kitchen. I like shite cabinets and was thinking of trevi or ultra but I like your painted cabinets as well. I didn’t realize we can have new ones painted. Did you paint them yourselves?

• Ellen Rand
    3 years ago

@fanaa25 your kitchen looks fabulous! Thank you fir letting us know about the slabs.

• kristindkeeney
    3 years ago

We recently put Trevi in our remodeled kitchen. I was shocked that it was more cream than white. In the showroom it looked very white. We brought Trevi up to our backsplash as well and we are thinking of changing it. I have a love/hate relationship with Trevi. I can post pictures if anyone would like.

@Sam A- what is the name of your backsplash?

• seharding
    3 years ago

please post pictures of your trevi! I also have limited options due to island size. I am deciding between Clara and Leon. I know they are totally different. We have a bright white kitchen with light gray island. We are doing a slab backsplash so I am being reallllly picky about what we choose. Anyone else have a recent picture of Clara? Also Leon? I know this isnt a leon board though. Thanks!

• fanaa25
    3 years ago

@seharding yes Clara and Leon are very different. But in my all white kitchen I am not a fan of the fact that Clara looks like a bland white slab and you can't see any of the veining when it reflects light. You have to be standing right up on top of it to see the veining. If you're looking for something like marble I'd suggest Leon. If you want an all white counter (which ended up cream in my case because Clara didn't match the sample), then Clara or Trevi would be fine. Although there are many other cheaper white quartz options out there.

I have been told in follow up meetings that the Clara sample is from an old batch thats been retired and is no longer being made in the crisp white color with dark veining.

• HU-318545505
    3 years ago

I have bright white kitchen cabinets and wanted a white countertop with subtle gray veining. We were thinking of Calacatta Trevi but I worry it will look off white or gray with my cabinets. Does anyone have photos of a Trevi with bright white cabinets? Anyone have any other suggestions for countertops?

• kristindkeeney
    3 years ago

Don’t do Trevi if you are looking for bright white countertops. Here is a picture of the slab backsplash next to my bright white hood range. We are changing our backsplash.

• HU-318545505
    3 years ago

@kristindkeeney Any other recommendations?

• Andrea Floyd
    3 years ago

How does everyone like the quality of Trevi? Stains, ring marks?!

• Anne Rahlfs
    3 years ago

@HU-318545505 we also have bright white cabinets and are looking for a white quartz with gray veining. What did you end up with? We were looking at Clara and Monaco at MSI. I don’t mind if it looks a little gray, but we’re worried about them looking yellow.

• Andrea Floyd
    3 years ago

We ended up with Trevi- White cabinets white countertops with Grey vain. No yellow but the thing we have a problem is the factory has a huge hazy swirl spot.

• HU-318545505
    3 years ago

@Anne Rahlfs

We decided on Eternal Calacatta Gold from Silestone. It was definitely one of the whiter samples we saw. The veining is very subtle, with a few hints of gold but nothing super noticeable. It hasn’t been installed yet though.

• Anne Rahlfs
    3 years ago

@Andrea Floyd
    Can you please share a picture? Is the factory going to replace the piece for you?

• Allie Rich
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@HU-318545505 Do you have a picture of the Silestone counters installed? I really want those but they are a bit pricier. Trying to decide if it is worth the additional cost! Thanks

• natalliap
    3 years ago

I have installed MSI Calcutta Clara 2 months ago. The color is not white but dolce leches. It catches marks from metals (belt buckle, sink grid) which could be cleaned up with moist magic eraser. The cabinet color is SW Pure White.

• seharding
    3 years ago

We ended up doing borghini extra. Very happy with how it came out. It looks more like a marble to me.

• seharding
    3 years ago

Oh also we ended up doing a White Island and made the width a bit smaller so we had a ton more options.

• hari p
    3 years ago

Hi Andrea,
    Possible for you to share pics?
    we are going with trevi. lower black cabinets and upper whites.

need help picking white cabinets color to go with trevi.
    thank you all

• HU-696475605
    3 years ago

I had specified Clara, but changed to Trivi after seeing the slabs. Trevi is whiter than Clara.

the counters turned out fabulously and the client was thrilled.

• hari p
    3 years ago

@HU-696475605 what cabinets color did you go with?

• KERYN FRANCISCO
    3 years ago

DESPERATELY seeking your TREVI leftovers/remnants! I literally just need 13" x 26" x 2cm of prefabricated (or any slab) to complete a tiny portion of my project. Does anyone have any leftover from their projects? Where can I find some?? I can't find any leads anywhere!

• Jasmin
    3 years ago

@sam A i know ita been some time since the last post would like to know if you can share the color you used for you wet bar cabinets ?

• Karen Murphy
    3 years ago

@Sam A I love your kitchen backsplash! Can you share? We are going with the Clara counters too.

• Sam A
    3 years ago

@Jasmin its SW Grizzle Grey

• Sam A
    3 years ago

@Karen Murphy here it is and it’s the 4x4 one

• Karen Murphy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Sam A That is similar to what we are looking at! Do they create a nice artisanal look? Do you have a pic of the backsplash next to counters? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Karen Murphy
    3 years ago

@Sam A oops! just tired. I was commenting on a pic you already shared. Got it- thanks!

• Melissa Hunter
    2 years ago

@Andrea Floyd what white did you go with for your cabinets? I am having the hardest time choosing a white with trevi. thinking about SW pure white. thank you 🙏

• Tanya Herrera
    2 years ago

Melissa Hunter did you install Trevi? If so can you post pictures? Ty!

• omgmk
    2 years ago

I’ve been to MSI quite a few times the last few months and the Trevi slabs have varied A LOT.. the older ones are a darker white with more natural veining while the new slabs are whiter with darker veins that look more unnatural… if you’re planning on Trevi, definitely approve your specific slab

• Funtime Krause
    2 years ago

Following We have ”officially” picked Calacatta Trevi foir our counters as well We have medium grey cabinets so i dont have to worry about whites matching What does concern me though is some negative qualtiy issues ive seen on here about and that its non-Breton manufactured i was able to obtain a list of Breton made colors today from MSI and i have some in mind that i like. Calacatta Montage and Ida are at the top of the list for me

• Funtime Krause
    2 years ago

I know this is an older thread but after comparing Trevi to other colors, I still love it the most How is it holding up for those of you who have had it for awhile?

• roadstergirlie
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As a follow up, I am scheduled to pick out our slab on Thursday. MSI will allow you to choose between two, and it just so happens I picked Clara and Trevi. It sounds like Trevi is the whiter of the two after reading this thread, which is what I want. However the Trevi in the showroom was darker than Clara which I found odd. The two samples I have shows that Trevi is whiter.

I believe a few posts up someone stated that Trevi used to be darker when they manufactured it in China which may indicate the sample they have in the showroom is an older slab.

I'm going to pick the whiter of the two, so fingers crossed one of them works.

(FYI I'm also Funtime Krause - this computer has me logged on under a different name.)

• Elizabeth B
    2 years ago

What color did you go with? Are you happy?

• Funtime Krause
    2 years ago

I actually ended up going with Carrara Lumos so neither of the two! I really needed a true white background. Calacatta Miraggio and Carrara Lumos are the only two colors that fit this. Miraggio was out of stock so Lumos it was!

• Sam A
    11 months ago

I just wanted to give an update about our MSI Calcatta Clara countertops purchased in 2019. They stained horribly with anything that had color. Whether it was a drop of wine, mustard, flower petals that dropped on the counter, etc, we were constantly trying to get stains out of them. This is not supposed to happen with quartz. We have since moved and our redoing the kitchen at our new house, and I'm back to countertop searching. I'm visiting other stoneyards and have been told that this is a common issue with MSI countertops. Hopefully they improve their quality but I will not be purchasing this brand again.