SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdpyn2

Citrus Near Progresso, Mexico

John 9a
5 years ago

I just returned from a cruise vacation which included a stop at Progresso, Mexico. My tour drove about an hour and a half inland to a hotel/plantation (Hacienda Uxmal) and from there another 20-minute drive to visit Mayan ruins at Kabah. Being a "citruser", I think I got almost as many photos of the citrus as I got of the ruins. Here are highlights.

I was intrigued that they alternated palms and citrus in the orchards at the Hacienda Uxmal plantation. Our guide said that is a very old practice and it encourages pests to eat the palms, not the citrus. He wasn't sure what pests the plantation was most plagued by. I'm amazed the same pests that would be interested in citrus would be attracted to palms so I wonder if there is another reason for the mix. Perhaps Johnmerr knows more details?

Here is another view of some of the plantation with Mayan ruins in the far background.

I took a photo of some kind of citrus that had considerable damage to the leaves. Looks almost like grasshopper damage.

We enjoyed a stop to eat oranges with a combination of salt and pepper sprinkled on them. "Wilbur" and "Walter" were our spicy orange hosts.

Our guide said the pepper was habanero but it tasted like a very mild cayenne pepper. I would never dream of adding salt and pepper to an really tasty orange but it was surprisingly good!

The ruins at Kabah had a nice big citrus in front f them and it offered a great shade. Our guide called it a sour orange but it didn't look like the trifoliate orange I know as a sour orange. The fruit around the tree were mostly soured but one had a nice sweet orangey aroma.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH