SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bencelest

Some samples of my grafted citrus trees

bencelest
17 years ago

Dormant for 2 yearsbut when host branch was removed it started to grow. Red Navel, host is Cara-cara.

{{gwi:587971}}

Newly grafted oroblanco to a chandler pomello

{{gwi:587973}}

I'll post more soon as soon as I transfer the pictures

Comments (24)

• citrusboy
    17 years ago

Dormant for two years? Bencelest. You have to be the most patient person on the planet. I would have gone berserk by that point.

I will be grafting red valencia to a four winds dwarf valencia later this month and hopefully my in ground navel orange canopy.

Your sprouts look good!

Citrusboy

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Citrus boy:
    My mistake. Only a year. I think it was on 7 04 05 it was grafted. I forgot all about it because it was hiding with current leaves. I accidentally saw it when I was removing all the green fruits so it will grow vegetative. Anyhow I trim the sorroundings so it can see sunlight and also cut the host branch right after the T bud. Beside it also is a grafted Tangor but you can't see it on the picture..
    Below are some more of my grafted citrus.

Tangor on Washington Navel
    {{gwi:587974}}

Oroblanco on melogold
    {{gwi:587086}}

two dream navel on Eureka lemon
    {{gwi:587976}}

• Related Discussions

Can I graft a citrus tree now?

Q

Comments (3)
    You can T bud them if the bark is slipping on your tree. I've only T budded, no grafting. If your tree is actively growing the bark should be slipping. However, this early in the yr you might not have good new-season budwood on the three scion donars. You might be able to use last yrs wood as budwood. Give it a try. If you fail you can try again later. The Fruitnut
    ...See More

Grafting a persimmon to a citrus tree

Q

Comments (2)
    You can only graft other citrus to citrus. Persimmons only to other persimmons. Very, very few species are cross-compatible outside of their own genus, and many not even within their own genus. There isn't any limitation, to my knowledge, of grafting various Citrus together, so you could graft various types of citrus onto your existing tree, to increase the crop diversity.
    ...See More

Need some help- I'm out of my element with citrus trees

Q

Comments (2)
    give it full sun. when the leaves are young, you have to protect it from leaf miner. I think spinosad is what's recommended, it's organic i think. I don't spray so I can't remember for sure. they say not to waterlog your citrus, but i've done that with a moro orange in a pot with no drainage holes for 2 years. it's doing fine, but I wouldn't recommend it. every citrus that i've had will fruit in a container, but once I put them in the ground, they stop fruiting for a couple years. try to keep it near the house, the flowers smell like heaven. good luck! sounds like you got a great gift!
    ...See More

can i graft all kinds of citrus scionwood on one tree?

Q

Comments (7)
    Just make sure you are not in a citrus quarantined area and your scion wood is also not from a quarantined area. Here is where you can find out; https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/InteriorExclusion/acp_quarantine.html And here is a link to safe disease free citrus budwood. I would only use this source even if you are not in a quarantined area. http://ccpp.ucr.edu/budwood/budwood.php
    ...See More
  • bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fukomoko orange on Eureka
    {{gwi:587978}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

On the right is a tangor orange grafted to a caracara. At the bottom of this pic was the Red navel (dormant for 2 years)It started flowering first time.

{{gwi:587980}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Correction: The one with the fruit is a Ponkan and not fukomoko
    Here's how she looks today:
    {{gwi:587981}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How part of my yard looks like. I clipped almost all of my fruits this spring so they will grow vegetatively.
    {{gwi:587982}}

stella cherry
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:587983}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here are some more of my grafts and T buds
    Ponkan to Eureka
    {{gwi:587984}}

red Valencia to caracara
    {{gwi:587985}}

unknown mandarin to page

{{gwi:587986}}

not sure

{{gwi:587987}}

oroblanco to page

{{gwi:587989}}

Shasta gold to eureka

{{gwi:587991}}

clemenule to eureka

{{gwi:587993}}

clemenule to eureka

{{gwi:587995}}

oroblanco to chandler pomello

{{gwi:587997}}
    donÂt know this

{{gwi:587999}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I know. ItÂs clemenule to oroblanco

{{gwi:588000}}

Salustiana to Washington Navel

{{gwi:588002}}

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Although these pics are not about grafting I thought I'd post them
    All pictures were taken on 6 3 06.
    JoeÂs banana and behind are citrus
    {{gwi:588004}}

JoeÂs calamondin
    {{gwi:588006}}

JoeÂs clemenule

{{gwi:588007}}

Two Satsuma fruit I left behind rest I clipped off
    {{gwi:588009}}

My backyard jungle

{{gwi:588011}}

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Ben, wow, I'm impresed. Tell me, is your banana in the ground or a pot? What type of soil do u use for your banana? Do u know its type?
    As usual, your trees look fantastic. Still looks like you got many more trees than the last time u posted..lol..Toni

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toni:
    I am sorry I did not see your thread.
    My banana was in a pot but I transferred it on the ground about 3 weeks ago. That is small compared to the others. They are just now waking up.
    The soil? Probably mostly clay but on top of it are pure sand I picked up from the side of the highway near the ocean.
    I think it is ice cream that Joe Real gave me.
    Well, they just grew like crazy Toni. We have a wonderful weather here so even during Winter season they still are growing.
    Thanks for your compliment.
    Now I am doing some experiment. I have 23 scions (buds) T bud and some grafted in one Lisbon lemon tree on 6 5 06. They were all rare cultivars very very rare.
    Here's the picture:
    {{gwi:588013}}
    And here's a pixie tangerine that I T bud on the same tree on 5 26 06. Notice the thorn coming up under the petiole?
    This afternoon I saw thenew bud pop out the real new bud very tiny but still discernable.

{{gwi:588015}}

• citrusboy
    17 years ago

Well Bencelest, How rare are they!? I must know!

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I maybe the ONLY ONE in the whole California who owns one. Except the one who gave them to me.

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Citrusboy:
    You know if you can take a time off when there is a tour at Gene Lester farm here at Watsonville you will enjoy seeing and taking home many rarest cultivars in the whole US if not world. He can boast to us many of his plants as noone else have them in the whole California. He has colections anywheres from originally from China, Israel Asia, South America,Mexico, Persia, Australia, you name it and thriving in his 12 acre citrus farm overlooking the Monterey Bay.
    He has over 200 varieties living in his farm.
    Millet and Laaz are planning to attend and they live in Colorado and South Carolina.
    I myself know what to do the next time I go there. And do you know it's free? And he encourage you to get them except if the plant is still small.
    So what is rare?

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At this point I am not after rareness. I am only interested for its fruits' sweetness. Seeds and size are only secondary.
    My favorites are: last year, I tasted Honey as the sweetest when I harvested in my backyard, I could not stop when I started eating it, then Joe's clemenule ripened. The same thing. I could not stop but there were only 3 riped ones at that time. Then I went to Gene Lester's farm on a citrus tour and I tasted seedless Kishu. This is my present favorite.
    It is said that my rare citrus that I just grafted are very very sweet and size are much larger. So all I can do is wait till they flower and fruit.
    As of now Kishu is the (my) extreme favorite.

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HereÂs the fruits samples of my grafted trees that I donÂt have to wait for many years to fruit. Only two years .
    Page mandarin
    {{gwi:588018}}
    W. Murcott

{{gwi:561388}}

Midknight

{{gwi:588020}}

W Murcott
    {{gwi:588020}}

Dancy and behind Satsuma
    {{gwi:585328}}
    Calamondin
    {{gwi:585326}}

From L to R
    Satsuma, oroblanco , meyer
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:588023}}
    I have many more but I am afaraid I'd bore you guys.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Ben, you're not boring us..I enjoy seeing healthy citrus and other plants..
    BTW, what stock did you use to graft all citrus on? Toni

• citrusboy
    17 years ago

I will be visiting Watsonville for the tour in September I think it is! And bored?! The only boring thing is me waiting for 6 more months to get some fruit off of my trees. I have to stop walking outside every morning and checking the trees... Sad really.

Thank you for posting the pics. Something to look forward to for my winter citrus.

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toni. Thanks. But I don't understand your question. What stock did I use to graft all citrus on? As you can see all the host plants are different. All I did was to graft a different tree to a branch of the host plants so what do you mean by what stock did I use?
    Marc, heh, I do just what you do Marc. Every morning I can't wait till daybreak till I go to my yard and look specially for the new grafts that I did whether there is any changes as of yesterday. Then I'd inspect each and every one of them for bugs and such.
    Yesterday, I saw a BIG bird munching on my riped cherries. My first thought was to get my newly bought air rifle 1000 fps velocity but then I debated it only was looking for its food and must be hungry. And I just shoo'd it away. I end up plucking the cherries and munched them myself. So sweet. Those Prince Ranier cherries. And when my kid came from school we got as much as we can and ate them last night while watching TV. My kid kept on putting them in his mouth while harvesting them.
    So those are the fruit of your labor.
    Are you bored really?
    Those are the happppiest moment waiting for your fruits to ripen.
    At least for me.
    It makes your every day a pleasant one.

• citrusboy
    17 years ago

Wait a minute. You have Rainier Cherries?! Those are the best Cherries in the entire world! I suspect you use the stella cherry tree to pollinate or another cherry tree. They aren't self pollinating are they? Oh wait. This is the citrus forum. Any minute now the citrus police will be on this post...

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marc:
    I must be lucky when I bought that ranier cherry at Home Depot I did not know it will taste that sweet. And I don't worry at all about polination either my cherries or my citrus I just don't think about it even with my persimmons or apples.
    OK guys you ask for it. Here it goes:

Prince ranier cherry
    {{gwi:587090}}

stella cherry

{{gwi:587091}}

another view

{{gwi:588025}}

Washington Navel
    {{gwi:588027}}
    these are 2 satsuma that I left from the tree the rest I clipped off thiking it will grow vegetatively but Mr. Childers said that if I leave even one fruit from the tree it should inhibit it from growing new buds.
    {{gwi:585309}}

Washington Navel
    {{gwi:588029}}
    harvested dancy fruits
    {{gwi:585319}}

harvested page mandarin
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:576897}}
    Italian prunes
    I did not know they grow in clusters.
    {{gwi:588030}}

My guava fruit. Oh, they are so sweet and juicy
    {{gwi:588031}}

for now

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HereÂs some more of my fruits/plants

Satsuma 3
    {{gwi:588032}}

melogold and meyer

{{gwi:588033}}

harvested melogold and almost ripe chandler pomello. This pomello is less than 3 feet and is dwarf and planted in pot. It has about 5 fruit on the tree.
    {{gwi:588034}}

harvested fuyo persimmons
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:588035}}

caracara
    {{gwi:588037}}
    more to come

• franktank232
    17 years ago

Would love to eat that whole table of citrus. How many citrus trees do you have now and are most/all in containers?

• bencelest
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Frank, I used to have 37 citrus trees altogether for quiete sometime because I just don't have anymore space in my backyard. I promise myself not to buy anymore so I avoided going to the nurseries. But when I tasted the seedless kishu mandarin and Joe Real said he have 42 different trees growing on his lisbon lemon tree perhaps 63 but unidentifyable, I bought two more so that makes it 40.
    And thank you for your compliment.
    Benny