SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sacramentocanuck

Canadian Growing Citrus in California

SacramentoCanuck
10 years ago

Hello! I have lurked on this forum for several months now and have found a lot of useful information; thank you! I am from Vancouver Canada and recently purchased a home near Sacramento California. My mother-in-law has a lemon in her backyard and I decided from the moment I saw it there that I would have citrus all around my new home.

I have two blood oranges (Moro and Sanguinelli), a Mexican key lime, a Meiwa kumquat, a calamondin, a new honey mandarin (rescued from HD), a pink variegated lemon, and an improved Meyer lemon.

All of my plants are in containers with the exception of the IML.

The moro, lime, and Sanguinelli are in half Jack Daniels whiskey barrels. Been in their location for over a year (against back of house, facing south west). The soil is potting soil from Green Acres Nursery. To determine when to water the barrels, I use a water meter that rates from 1 (dry) to 4 (wet). I try to keep it between 2-3. This is the first year that both oranges have produced fruit and kept any, so I am very excited.

I read on here that everyone loves Foliage Pro so I ordered some online a month ago. I am using 1 tsp per gallon a week, sometimes twice in the week. This is the only fertilizer I have been using. Before I gave them FP, I fed them in March with the EB Stone Organic Citrus and Fruit Feed per instruction.

Our weather in the last 2 days has gone from high 80s/low 90s to 105+.

I want the very best for these plants. I truly value the resource this forum has afforded me.

My moro is droopy, yellowing, and has leaf drop (shown in pics). It was watered with FP on Thursday night. It has a dozen or so fruit that are over an inch in diameter. It is almost 5 feet tall and its trunk is 1.5 inches wide. I didn't water yesterday and just checked its water per the meter and its a 1. I am going to water shortly. Would you recommend using FP for this watering? I water about 2 gallons of water.

Comments (36)