SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

How I grow citrus and 'high chill'soft fruit in a greenhouse

Thought a few here might be interested in how I grow citrus in a greenhouse with fruit that requires winter chilling. I'm in Alpine TX that's SW TX at 4500ft elev. I have Chandler pummelo and Washington navel orange planted in the ground in a 32ft by 54ft greenhouse. Also have various tangerines in a pot.

Basically I've modeled the temp regime after the central valleys of California where they can grow many kinds of fruit in the same climate. In Alpine our winters are about 60/32F and summer about 88/64F.

I never heat the greenhouse above 37F. And during a 7 wk period in Nov/Dec I hold the day temp as low as possible by evaporative cooling. The high temp during this period at the warm end of the gh where the citrus is planted is seldom higher than 60F. Thus my citrus has an ave temp in the 40s for 7 wks. And the nights are in the 30s and 40s about half the days of the yr.

Chandler ripens in Dec and Jan and is excellent, my favorite citrus. Washington Navel ripens in Feb and March. They are very sweet and juicy. Apricots start in April and grapes last until Jan 1. Thus I have fruit yr around.

Thought a few might be interested in how low my temp are and still get good citrus fruit. My heating bills are very low since we have very few nights that fall below 20F. Anyone interested in more details about Alpine TX climate can find them at weather.com.

The Fruitnut

Comment (1)