SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Kitchen island waterfall edge vs more seating?

ostrich
5 years ago

I would very much appreciate your opinion here! My new house will have a U shape kitchen with an island that is about 4' X 6'. This kitchen is adjacent to the dining area with one end of the countertop being right next to the dining area. The current design has an island with an open area at the end next to the dining area, so that the island can seat people all around that one end. However, I quite like the look of the waterfall edge, and am wondering if I should change the design to include a waterfall edge at the end of the island that is adjacent to the dining area. This is a highly visible area and so the waterfall edge would be stunning. On the other hand, the waterfall edge will sacrifice seating options around my already not-so-big island.

Should I go with the waterfall edge (form over function) or simply build up the countertop thickness to 2 inches, and leave it open below so that I can have more seating at the island (function over form!)? Which design would look better? What would YOU do if it were your house??!! Thank you!

Comments (34)