SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghazal_fahimi

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my Calathea

Ghazal Fahimi
5 years ago

I bought a Calathea plant last year in October, after 10 days, following the gardener's suggestion, I repotted it in a bigger pot. The soil I used was 1/3/ potting soil, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite. I don't water it too often, in fact I water it every 3-4 days when I feel the soil is not wet. However, I have some concerns:

1. The potting mix I used for the soil was Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix. Therefore, the soils always feels moisture to me. I have a hard time knowing when it is the time to water the plant.

2. When I bought the plant it had a good look, leaves were at all levels, however, as you see in the picture, the stems become too long and it doesn't have that mass look with full leaves.

3. There was a stem in the corner of the pot which recently died and I cut it out. Now, I feel the pot is too big for my plant, should I move it to a smaller pot?

Some more information: I'm leaving in bay area so the weather is not humid, I water spray the leaves every other day

. Also, my window is facing north-west, so I don't receive much light, and I put the plant about 4-5 feet away from window.

I would appreciate any help :-)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH