SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazureus

New construction, new lawn

dazureus
5 years ago

We moved into our new construction late last spring and sat on the landscaping to concentrate on moving and settling in. This spring we're ready to tackle installing the lawn in our comprehensive and expensive landscaping master plan. We're interested in seeding since I don't like how shallow sod seems to grow and have a considerable area to install.

Since we dumped our old landscaping company after being ghosted, it seems like other companies are content to regrade, add 2" of top soil, sometimes 1" of planting mix, and hydroseed. My concern is that the pre-build lot seemed to have been a sand dump in the past and only had low weeds and sparse tall grasses before clearing. Post construction, the builder brought in fill dirt to pass grading inspection so there's probably a few inches of that plus basement spoilage where the lawn will be. The final grade around the house is low enough to accommodate a few inches of additional topsoil.

Is 2"-3" of viable soil enough for long term lawn health? I was thinking that we could get compost tilled into the existing dirt down 3"-4", which would aid in weed removal, then add 2" top and seed to provide a better root zone that will require less watering. Is it common for installers to just surface install grass and not care about long term lawn health or am I being too picky?

Comments (5)