SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Garden is Full of Promise

This period before the big rose bloom is a time of pleasure and wonder this year after our rainy winter, such as we have not had for too many years. The rosemary is still blooming, as is the lantana, and the sea lavender that is scattered throughout the garden has made a magical comeback after the plants were almost all eaten by rabbits. Even the irises which were completely eaten to the ground are now half-grown again, and I dare to hope for a few blooms at least before the bunnies eat them all again. Many of the roses are chock full of buds, and Rosette Delizy is the first rose to show more than one or two blooms. It was 81 degrees today but the evenings are blessedly cool, and it's wonderful to be outside while it's still light enough to see the garden at its best. Almost all the roses have barriers around them now and I added the final touches to the wood mulch earlier today, and there is a feeling of accomplishment that I've done all that I can, although a perfectionist would no doubt laugh at my rather feeble efforts. The plants are kinder and seem to appreciate it all, and look wonderfully fresh and green. It is a moment in time that is perfection.

Comments (31)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

How wonderful to hear, Ingrid. I can't wait to see photos. We're at the forsythia daffodil stage here. Roses are leafing out with a few buds visible but just getting started.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

The promise of thngs to come...

Q

Comments (2)
    Yep, I agree! It seems like just overnight things have popped up and everything is GREEN again! The roses are sprouting like crazy; the lilies are coming up out of the ground; the irises are shooting up new leaves, and some even have stems with buds already! It really is a wonderful time of the year. I particularly enjoy seeing new canes and healthy new growth on the roses also. Makes me feel like they're going to get big and beautiful very soon!!
    ...See More

pink promise in my November garden

Q

Comments (1)
    Nice roses :) Here is a link that might be useful: oÅrodek wypoczynkowy Mazury
    ...See More

Pics of my hosta garden, as promised

Q

Comments (15)
    Melissa: Only a Minnesotan understands what 'up north' means! I know how much the area has grown - we visited last Fall. We lived two blocks from Lake Nokomis for 20 years and I didn't grow hostas then!!! How stupid was that! Our dearest friend moved from Burnsville to south of the 'southern' Crosstown Hwy (can't remember the name of the place - but maybe it's Lakeville!) We get up there maybe once a year and there is a nursery I want to see that is apparently never advertised and isn't even in the phone book - I just found out about it from a friend - so if I take the time to do some relaxing stuff, it'd be fun to see your gardens! I'll save this post and let you know if/when! Thank you for the invite. Actually, it'd be fun to see your place next summer. It'll be absolutely gorgeouser. Westy
    ...See More

He Promised Me A Rose Garden

Q

Comments (1)
    My vote is hire someone to remove them. No, cutting them back and covering will not kill them. I would cut them down, then hire someone to dig the roots out. That would be the easiest, and cheapest route. good luck! Your rose garden will look wonderful!
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lily, my cat is the same way, always sitting in front of one open French door or another (they all have screens) spying on the birds, squirrels and rabbits. We always say that he's watching the animal channel.

Sheila, it's nice that you have more of a four-season climate without it however being too severe. Spring flowers and blooming shrubs are enchanting.

• User
    5 years ago

I am so happy for you, Ingrid. After all these years of drought...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    That's great to hear! Hope all that rain gives you a beautiful show. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures! It's interesting to see the roses and gardens in different climates. And I think your climate & mine are polar opposites. Plus, your overall setting is really unique!
    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ingrid, I am also happy for you! One of the most lovely things about your setting is the naturalness of how your garden fits in, and you seem to have a good sense for what works best, so in that aspect it is perfect!

I hope you don’t mind me complimenting you on your writing skills, you always express yourself in such a beautiful way, you’re quite the wordsmith.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

You express my sentiments about the "promise" of the year, but so much more eloquently! I was walking through my gardens yesterday, stopping and taking in each plant, and just continually uttering three words - "oh my god", Ooh my god", "oh my god", with expressions going between elation and wonder. Now is finally the time, after tens of hours of work weeding, pruning, preening, mulching, for the first time ever - dormant spraying, and fertilizing - that the entire orchestra is near breaking to crescendo. Buds EVERYWHERE. After replanting my Irises this year, my first ever Irises are blooming now. The two $5 Lowes rack rejects of petunias I got last summer and potted which gave me all year color, have come back with a vengeance and look like I get another year of blooms from them. My clematis for first time ever survived winter, and are getting little buds on them. I am near shaking with excitement to see what's coming next!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • erasmus_gw
    5 years ago

I like the period before bloom too. It seems like the plants are breathing in all the sunshine, rain, and food and then when they start blooming they breathe out. I like this time about as well as when they bloom. All the leaves are so new and shiny, well, many are shiny. I am hard of hearing but the birds were so loud the other day I could hear them plainly. Our Yoshino cherry tree is snowing pale pink petals. Glad you are feeling promise with your garden.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked erasmus_gw
  • Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Rain rejuvenates, and as the garden is refreshed, it brings elation. Spring is a lovely season in California; it's good to hear that you are enjoying the garden, Ingrid.

Rosemary sounds wonderful with the roses and companion flowers. Rosette Delizy is a spectacular rose, looking forward to seeing it in bloom with your other garden delights.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Ingrid, I am so happy to read the tone of excitement in your words. The sadness you spoke of during winter just broke my heart. As a gardener I cannot imagine having to face the possibility of not digging in the earth.

I know the wonderful rains you’ve received this spring will not always happen for you but I hope the measures you have taken will always allow you to get out and play.

And for this year...we’ll this year my fingers are crossed that all your wildlife friends can at least get some of their food elsewhere since the land has been allowed a season of growth:)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • User
    5 years ago

Sounds lovely.. Looking forward to your always beautiful and interesting photos.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love what you've all written, and how you share that feeling of wonder and excitement. The greatest compliment I can receive is that I've succeeded in integrating the garden with the landscape. I never take the natural beauty around me for granted, and it takes center stage. No strident reds or oranges are allowed, or roses that scream "modern". Not every rose is a fluff ball with a hundred petals; they vary in petal count and size just as flowers in a natural landscape would.

It's going to be very thrilling to see everyone's garden coming into bloom, some earlier and some later according to your climate zones. With any luck the spring bloom will extend from April to the end of June. It's going to be awesome!

5 years ago

I know it won't happen, Ingrid, but if you did change your color palette you would have us drooling over your orange and red. It's your design and artistry even more than your color selections that continue to amaze.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sheila, thank you for such a lovely compliment. High praise from someone whose roses and garden continue to grow more spectacular every year. I'm so looking forward to how your tea roses especially have grown since last year. They seem to love your conditions, and you have the room to let them get really large.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    5 years ago

So pleased for you Ingrid! It seems only a few weeks ago (tho must be longer than that) you were in despair for the future of your garden. Glad the rain is bringing hope and joy again. :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've just lost a long post with umpteen pictures, so I will try again, much more briefly because this is not a happy situation. Thank you so much, Comtesse, and I hope you are keeping well.

This is Priscilla, the bravest ground squirrel ever since her babyhood. We expect her to sit on our feet any day now in her unceasing quest for food.
    And here is Bebe, a friend since she was a tiny bunny.
    One of the first blooms of Aunt Margy's Rose, with a lovely old-rose fragrance.
    Rosette Delizy is the very first rose to have a number of blooms.
    Baronne Henriette de Snoy is the only rose in the garden to have completely red new foliage.
    The tree growing out of the rock is home base for any number of squirrels and birds.
    For now the hills are green

I hope I'm forgiven for showing you this painting, which arrived from Denmark this morning. I'm so excited to have this lovely portrait of a collie.

It has to share its space with these two pugs. I hope they don't engage in fisticuffs after we go to bed!

5 years ago

Your home is precious, Ingrid. Beautiful dog portraits.

5 years ago

I do miss the zillion other pictures, but the landscape shots above are gorgeous.

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

The roses look great, Ingrid. Rosette Delizy has so many buds on it. I love the blend of colors, looks nice with Aunt Margy's rose.

It's interesting to see the whole plant of Rosette Delizy, the canes and growth habit.

You have a lovely home, beautiful artwork and furnishings.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
    5 years ago
    I love seeing your overall landscape photos. The boulders and plantings are so intriguing!

I love the dog portraits! I also have dog art, nothing fancy, just picked up from various home stores. Mine are pretty colourful & quirky. I was going to post pics but didn't want to overshadow your post or go too off topic!
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Blondie, no one will mind if you go off-topic, and please do post your doggie pictures here. We'd all love to see them.

I'm much more of a cat person, but so often cat portraits are too sentimental or border on kitsch, although I do have one nice one done in charcoal. There seem to be many more good ones done of dogs, in all media, and I never tire of them. Just to get you started, here's one in my kitchen of a terrier, and there's one in porcelain on the table.

5 years ago

Ok here goes! I have a boston terrier & a chihuahua/Manchester terrier. But I love all dogs. Your portraits got me to thinking about commissioning a regal old fashioned portrait of them.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Blondie, I love your dog art; these are charming and whimsical portraits. You've done a great gallery wall too.

5 years ago
    Thanks! I like to keep it fun in the house. I can't handle too many bare walls. The only problem is in an open concept house, there are less walls for art. Now back to roses. I'm happy to see that you have had a reprieve from the drought conditions. Keep posting your pretty blooms and landscape pics!
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm lucky, Blondie, my vintage 1980's ranchburger has plenty of walls and they're all full of pictures. Well, since you asked, here's a pic taken from a vantage point that I hadn't done before.

And a little bouquet of Rosette Delizy and Madame Lambard).

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

Such pretty bouquets!

Hallo Blondie, your doggie paintings are cute but I LOVE your cow painting! Adorable. I love cows. I'm always telling dh that someday I am going to bring home a little jersey heifer lol.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago
    @Ingrid- that is a great vista!

@sultry - I named the cow, Bessie!
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    5 years ago

Hello Ingrid!

Your garden and roses are beautiful, as always.

There's an excitement this spring seeing the plants responding to our winter rains after several years of drought -- both in the chaparral and in our gardens. Both the Spanish bluebells and the diminutive ground orchids in my yard have exceptional blooms this spring.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy, how wonderful to see you here! You perfectly understand the giddiness of surveying the sumptuous feast this spring is providing after the years of what seemed like not much more than bread and water. I try to consciously live in the moment, and thankfully this has been an unusually long and cool number of weeks in which to enjoy the burgeoning plant life, day after day. Bellissima!

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    5 years ago

Giddiness -- excellent description!

The first glimpses of tender green in the spring inspire me beyond all reason.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, that sentence says it all!