SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorena_garza45

Advice on kitchen layout

Lorena G.
5 years ago

Our current floor plan that we have designed with our builder and his drafter has a 15'x22' kitchen/dining area which is open straight through to the living room (making a living/kitchen/dining 15'x39.5' rectangular area). I'm seeking advice on the layout of the kitchen because the L shape looks a bit awkward to me since the left wall seems so long and would have no cabinets. I really need to keep the sink on that right side, which will have a window to the back patio area.

Current island is 4'x6' but I also feel that perhaps changing the orientation of the island and extending to 4'x8' (drawn in red) would make better use of the space. I would be able to have 4 stools on the left and 2 on the bottom, and a dining table for 6 would fit in the dining area.

We're not looking to add SF since we're at the total SF we're comfortable at. But perhaps the kitchen area could be brought down a few feet and expanded to the right to allow for cabinets on the left wall, while keeping similar SF. Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

I've also attached photos of kitchens I've liked on Houzz. I'm thinking that I may be able to have a layout like kitchen#1 or #2 with the current 15' width using following dimensions:

2' cabinets
3.5' walkway
4' island width
3.5' walkway
2' cabinets

Would this be too tight? And can anyone give pros/cons as to the placement of the island? Most kitchens I've seen have the islands like kitchens#3,4,5 with seating facing back wall, but those like kitchen#1,2 have it the other way. I really want an island so I'm not really open to a peninsula. Thanks!

Kitchen and Breakfast Nook · More Info

Parade of Homes 2 · More Info

Modern Victorian · More Info

Lincoln Project · More Info

Moody Beach, Wells MAine · More Info

Comments (21)