SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nekole_whyte

Varying cabinet sizes, leading to differ counter-to-cabinet workspace?

Nekole Whyte
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi!

So, my brother and I are remodeling/updating the kitchen in our built-in-the-1940's family/childhood home to sell. It's got 8ft ceilings, and we are debating between 36" cabinets and 42" cabinets. Realtor suggested 42" cabinets but then also said we would need to put crown in which causes a dilemma since there isn't really enough space for crown and 42" cabinets without closing into the counter workspace. We've been trying (and failing) to live with 14 inches between counter and upper cabinets, and don't want to impart that on anyone else.

It will be a U-shaped kitchen, and I was looking thru photos and had a thought- do 36" walls but 42" corners and make it so that the corners are mounted a couple inches lower than the walls (just enough to fit the crown). It would take a little off of the workspace underneath of them, but leave a sizeable amount under the walls.

I just haven't been able to really find photos of this, and not sure it would work in reality. Hoping someone will have an answer?

For reference: the kitchen currently has 35" wall cabinets, with an 11 inch bulkhead/soffit above them. We plan on taking the soffit out.

Thanks!

Comments (2)