SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

A sad situation...

Anglophilia
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Today, I had to drive to Ft Knox to do my quarterly prescription refills. What a huge surprise! The waiting room was packed (usually no one sitting down), and one had to take a number (only 1 window open for refills). Typically, I drive there (about an hour), and I'm in and out in 3-5 minutes. There was only 1 seat left in the room!

I sat down next to a woman who looked close to my age. There was a very cute little girl with her - up and down, bored as would be expected. I asked how old she was - 3 - such a cute age. I said it must be fun having a 3 yr old granddaughter. She said they had adopted her - in fact, she is a GREAT granddaughter. She is 70 and her husband is 73. She said her granddaughter had a 3rd child (by 3 different men). The first two were taken by their fathers; this time, neither of them wanted the child. The child's grandmother was "too busy" to raise a child again. So these two elderly people now have a 3 yr old.

She said they did insist that the granddaughter have her tubes tied - they could not take on another one. Apparently, she doesn't believe in birth control or abortion - she just has babies she has intention of rearing. All I could think was that I would not have the energy to have a 3 yr old child, but even more important, all I could do is wonder if this nice woman and her husband will actually live to see this child graduate from HS and read her majority at age 18? If they don't, then what happens?

How tragic that with readily available birth control, this woman has had 3 babies and wouldn't even consider giving them up for adoption. This adorable little girl would have made some childless family very happy. And now she's the responsibility of elderly great-grandparents.

What a world today....

PS - I did discover the reason for the crowds. Tricare and ExpressScripts raised the fee for brand-name drugs that are home-delivered from $9 to $24 so all these people have now transferred their prescriptions back to the Ft Knox pharmacy and they are totally swamped. She aid that yesterday, there were 20 people standing and waiting, as well as all those seated.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!