SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

When did you become interested in decorating?

Oakley
5 years ago

I've mentioned before that my mom was a fantastic decorator with no training. Our home was a must-see. Back in the 60's when weird colors were beginning to become popular, she had no desire to follow any trend.

Two things she did back then that I never saw before was buying an old dining room table and beating the heck out of it with a chain. My brother and I just stood there in the dining room thinking she was out of her mind! The end product was a beautiful "turkey red" table with black glaze.

She painted the kitchen cabinets black with a turkey red glaze. Even today, many years later, my old friends still mention my house. Unfortunately they sold it and moved to the lake when I was 18.

I inherited my mother's love of decor but I did not inherit her talent. How incredibly sad for me. lol

And this is when I realized many years later that I had the decor bug like my mom but didn't know it at the time. When I was 16, I had my boyfriend take me to upscale neighborhoods in Tulsa when there was an Open House. We'd walk in the house and the realtor immediately came to us out of suspicion, and I told her my mother wanted me to take a look around and let her know if she and my dad would be interested. The realtors always bought it. I wasn't snooping either, I just wanted to see how they decorated. I don't feel guilty for lying, is that bad? ;)

Comments (23)