SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Planter depths and spacing for vertical planter design

Robin Morris
5 years ago

I do not have enough space to grow everything I want to grow, so I want to build a vertical planter along the side of my deck (in the same wood as the deck). I want it to be ~12' long, ~5' tall, and 1' wide with 4 tiers of plant. It will look something like this:

In it I want to plant all my herbs, salad greens, strawberries, chard, edible flowers, and maybe even a few hot peppers. What is the ideal depth for these plants? Right now I am thinking the bottom planter will have a depth of 9.75" (3 2"x4"s with a .75" bottom), the upper 3 planters will have a depth of 6.25" (3 2"x4"s with a .75" bottom), and I will leave 10" between the planters.

What do you all think? Should I change the ratios (really big on the bottom, even smaller up top?) or go down to 3 tiers? My goal is to maximize the amount of things I can grow.

I can get 2"x4"s which are really only 3.5" tall or 2"x6" which are 5.5" tall.

I am still working out how many vertical supports I will need and if I should support the planter bottoms with pocket screws, angle brackets, or both... I will probably post to some DIY forum for tips, but if anyone has built something similar, tips are welcome.

Comments (16)