SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kumquat1_gw

Little space-saving above ground planter

kumquat1
13 years ago

Someone posted a brilliant composter thing, that I have modified into an above ground growing thing for small spaces. I modified the design of the composter thus: Chicken wire 2' diameter cage/column wrapped in landscape cloth (it breathes). Set in corner of garden or flower patch. Throw compostable materials in. When full, abandon and start another. When the compost is 'ready' lift the cage/column. Shovel out the compost on to the garden. Re-set the cage/column and start it over. I read on a blog where the blogger makes a chicken wire cage/column, lines it with cardboard from old boxes, cuts holes in the cage/column and plants in the holes, as one would plant in a "strawberry jar". The blogger puts a 4" diameter pvc pipe in the center--with holes drilled--filled with pebbles and sand. Why not make a smaller diameter chicken wire column/cage, say 10", wrap with landscape cloth which breathes, eliminating the need for the pipe, pebbles, the hole-drilling, etc? It would topple easily, so it would need a pole down the middle to hold it up, or tie it to something. I made one this morning and am going to plant eggplants in the lower holes, Strawberries in the top and something mid-sized in between, trying to decide on that, but have some shoveling to do to fill the thing with enough soil before my husband gets back from town with the eggplant plants. I have lots of chicken wire, and a roll of landscape fabric, and it is like Christmas morning here. I cut the last of my mustard greens, as they are bolting to seed, and going to make cornbread and greens for lunch.

Comments (5)