SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
becky22546

How do you fix hardwood installation issues?

Becky
5 years ago

I'm building a new house and there are some issues with the flooring installation. I'm meeting with the boss tomorrow and trying to decide on what will be an acceptable fix. Can I get some opinions on how best to address these issues? The flooring is Versini Virgilio Collection which is an engineered hardwood. The issues are:

1. There are several spots where the joints running length wise aren't tight, so you can see the ugly backing. I suspect they will want to get a pen out and color it. That doesn't seem reasonable to me, but I'm not sure what to ask for instead.

2. There are also a few joints where it looks like a piece of material is stuck between the pieces on the ends. It almost looks like a shim was in there and cut flush, but I don't know why they would have used a shim. The dust mop catches on these pieces which is a pain.

3. There are gaps between the floor and baseboards in some spots. I can install shoe mold, but I prefer the clean, simple look with just the baseboard and it seems like a waste to install it on a full room when it is just one corner that is shy. Plus, I don't feel I should have to pay for more trim work because a sub cut the flooring too short.

4. There is another place where there is a gap and they filled it with some type of grout looking material. It is not grout, but it is the width of a grout line used in tile. It is in the kitchen at a door, so it is very noticeable.

I'd love some suggestions on how these issues should be corrected.

Comments (15)