SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_barnhart

Bathroom Shower Tile Nightmare

Don Barnhart
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our first remodel and had Best Buy Flooring do our shower tile with a soap dish insert. We have jagged edges from the cuts that they say is because of the glazed tile and instead of replacing they want to use more grout to cover it up. Here's are some pics from the cut lines and grouting around the tub, soap dish and shower.

Is this acceptable and/or normal? They are willing to come out and replace a few but they keep making excuses that they used a new blade/etc and that's pretty much what it will look like.

Thanks in advance, Don

Comments (46)

• Brittney E
    5 years ago
    No. Not acceptable.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

The fact that they insist that is the best they can do on cutting/installing tile is quite revealing initself. Also in addition that grout should not be there in pic #3. All chnages in plane need to be caulk. The grout needs to be removed and replaced, sooner the better as it takes time for grout to harden. That being said, be prepared for a barage of questions as to what steps and what paterials are under those tile. Because if the tile installer thinks that is acceptable there is not a ton of hope that the waterproofing would be correct.

• Related Discussions

Is your marble bathroom / shower a nightmare to maintain?

Q

Comments (9)
    Do my eyes deceive me? Is it really Danni in pdx?! (You might not recognize my name, but I'm the person on the west side with the DD who was not inclined toward soccer, iykwim [but who is quite gazelle-like at track & XC, so we have a happy ending :)] Nice to 'see' you again! We're doing DD's bath now--I have a somewhat obsessively long mosaic of Pratt & Larson seconds I made for it, as the kitchen prodded me to the discovery of an interest in mosaic that has not abated :) Anyway, back on topic: there are some threads on here about using marble vs. marble look alike porcelain just for maintenance purposes. One poster here did two baths, one in a marble-like porcelain and one in marble, both *stunning*, neither a compromise, IMO. VERY worth finding. I posted on one of them about a porcelain I saw at Pental that looks *so* much like a calacatta marble but is easier to maintain, obviously. It's in the far hallway, or at least was, when I was last there. They may have moved it. My screen is being weird, or I'd link to the precise tile on the Pental site, but you can find it there.
    ...See More

Non skid shower tile and bathroom floor tiles

Q

Comments (9)
    Floor tile for a shower should have a Coefficient of Friction (COF) of .65 or greater while wet. Some tiles designed specifically for tiles have a COF of .85. A tile's COF is usually reported on the tile box or specification sheet that accompanies the tile. If it is missing, odds are the tile is not intended for wet floors. You should certainly NOT rely on grout to provide the appropriate grip because as grout ages it becomes more slippery and provides less friction.
    ...See More

Help me with my nightmare bathroom!

Q

Comments (43)
    Wow! That looks fantastic, you must be delighted! I am going to check out Solatube for my interior bathroom AND professional floor cleaning.
    ...See More

Bathroom Renovation Nightmare

Q

Comments (10)
    i know there is cement board under the shower floor and on the shower walls. one glass wall separates the shower. the floor is also heated. i am unsure if there is cement board under the rest of the floors. the shower only splashes outside of the shower area but as our house is 100 years the floor is not level and the water can run away from the shower area. the shower is slanted to its back wall where there is a channel drain. no water splashes on any walls other than the shower walls. i geuss it was not intended as a wet room in the technical sense. ?. i do not have progress pictures of the flooring of the bathroom.
    ...See More
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

Its a really terrible tile job, and no I wouldnt accept it. There should be caulk in some areas rather than grout in picture 2 too. Like millworkman, I would also be concerned about proper waterproofing, since it is pretty obvious, that they have no clue what they were doing

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

I don't know what they used to cut the tile. They should use a wet saw, with a new blade. Not a snap cutter.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

These installations are a travesty to our industry. We call them hack jobs and are always disappointed when we are called in to tear out and replace a job because it was not done properly by some unqualified labor. I'm sorry to say but that's what you got. It's an unacceptable installation. Agree with others that you should also be concerned with what is UNDERNEATH that tile. Ask them to document how every aspect of the shower build and tile installation conforms to industry standards. If they don't know what this handbook is, you did not have a professional. Also note, standard 4.3.3 as an example.

• PRO
    Don Barnhart thanked Creative Tile Eastern CT
  • Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone. We contacted Well's Fargo to dispute the charges and Best Buy Flooring telling them it's unnacceptable and needs to be gutted and redone or we will go to the contractors board and stop payment. They ordered a complete replacement and new tiles and said they will redo it all but now I'll be sure to watch the first cuts and if it's jagged I'm sending them home...

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Maybe tell them, you want a crew that actually knows what they are doing. Please read up on waterproofing, and watch carefully, to see that it is done properly. Also read up on where grout should go, and where caulk should be instead (caulk should match the grout color), so that part gets done properly. They have grout in the original one, a lot of places, that should have been caulked.

Don Barnhart thanked cat_ky
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Yes I'd be very concerned they did not waterproof correctly and that is even more important than correctly cutting tiles because without proper waterproofing, you could wind up with leaks and mold issues

Don Barnhart thanked cpartist
  • AJCN
    5 years ago

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm just a homeowner, not a pro. I had a similar problem about 18 months ago. The bad tile job was the first clue that the tile people were not skilled enough to do the water proofing right. That turned out to be the case.

Since your tile people are coming back to redo it, you should take pictures every morning before leaving for work and every evening after you return from work. Take pictures from far away, then zoom in on the details. Then go around the room and take pictures of all the buckets of materials and all the other things that the contractor leaves in your bathroom. If you can, take a picture of their saw table.

The waterproofing is the most important part for the integrity of your home. The tile install is also important. There should be clean cuts, minimal lippage, and some good attention paid to layout so that you don't end up with wierd sliver cuts somewhere.

Don Barnhart thanked AJCN
  • Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I told them we'll be home for the full installation and are going to micro manage every detail and the first jagged cut, I'm throwing them out and cancelling the job and going straight to the contractors license board. Life's too short to put up with garbage!

• kathleen MK
    5 years ago
    Stick to your guns, ask for a different crew if possible.
    Don Barnhart thanked kathleen MK
  • cat_ky
    5 years ago

Before they wreck another tile, (after you have checked out their waterproofing) watch how they cut the first tile. If they still do it wrong and have poor equipment,let that be the last tile that is cut, so no more is wasted.

Don Barnhart thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Keep the pressure on them Don!

Don Barnhart thanked Designer Drains
  • cpartist
    5 years ago

Please let us know how it goes. Looking forward to seeing your finished bath that looks gorgeous and is properly waterproofed. :)

• ljptwt7
    5 years ago
    Following. Want to hear about this job! How they stay in business installing tile is a wonder. Have a feeling you will be kicking them out the door and looking for professionals.
    Don Barnhart thanked ljptwt7
  • PRO
    Filipe Custom Woodwork
    5 years ago

Not a chance this is acceptable.

I am getting dizzy just looking at the cuts of the mosaic tile.

That is not an acceptable installation.

Don Barnhart thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • 2christene
    5 years ago

Don Barnhart Take Lots of pictures, now and while they re-do their mistakes... You need proof just in case...Good luck. Job was rushed and totally unacceptable.. You paid big bucks, it's their loss not yours.

Don Barnhart thanked 2christene
  • Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom and encouragement. I have to post this hoping you'll get a laugh as that's all we can do at this point...Because of all the corners they've cut, we've got them coming back with a top to bottom redo. 1st picture is the tile put up then they cut out the area for the soap dish insert while it was on the wall.

2nd pic, they didn't even cover the whole tile when putting it up on the wall...Here's a pic of the tile with stuff at the top and bottom but nothing in the middle. Is that normal???

I think I know the answer but have to ask...

• Brittney E
    5 years ago
    The way they are putting thinset on the tile itself isn't even right so you have bigger problems than just jagged cuts.
    Don Barnhart thanked Brittney E
  • Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah, it's almost hysterical how bad this has become. We're just waiting for the tile to come in so they can tear down and start over but the first jagged cut or bs I'm throwing them to the curb. I guess we have to let them attempt to "make it right" but I'm soooooo done with these morons...

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

Two comments:

1. If they were using a "new blade," as they claimed, they were using the wrong one. No tile cut should have that amount of chipping. Some of those tile cuts are so chipped and crooked that they look like they were cut freehand by someone using a Skil saw and a bad blade, rather than a tile wet saw.

2. There should no grout anywhere there is a change of planes. Standard practice requires caulking to handle normal expansion and contraction to avoid cracking.

Don Barnhart thanked kudzu9
  • Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    I’d insist on a full refund and find a professional local tile contractor.
    Don Barnhart thanked Nicole R Dsp
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

Spot bonding was used to set wall tile. A method that is not approved for any tile installation. Especially in a wet area where 95% coverage is required. I would also suggest hiring a professional as this crew is not even aware of the basics. The link I provided above will provide you with questions to ask potential hires.

• Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So the latest update. Contractors board says they have a right to fix it before we go ballistic, file a suit, etc. They are bringing in an entirely new crew and it's now week 8. They took down the shower tile today and this is what's underneath.

Thank you for all the tips, advice and support.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

In progress photos are your best defense. Note products used. There will be a Tech contact # on them. Call them if for any reason you feel the manufacturers instructions or limitations are not being adhered to. They will back you up.

Is the shower base being removed also? I'm willing to bet that they did not install a preslope prior to the mud base.

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

They used spot bonding because that's the way a lazy or incompetent tiler can more easily get the tiles in place; applying full bonding to the tile back -- which is the only thing you should allow -- takes more time and skill to do correctly.

Also, I am concerned that they have left the tile backer in place with the dried blobs on it and the accent tile in place. How do they intend to waterproof, and then properly install new tile on top of this mess? It's great that they are getting a new team in to redo this bad installation, but I would be reluctant to allow this to proceed without a base of new backer board.

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

omg

There are a lot of bad waterproofing and tiling jobs in this forum, but that is ridiculous.

Before they come, I would ask them (in writing, if they will respond): What is the waterproofing system you will use? What are the brand names? How will you apply it? And then post their answers here. I would watch a youtube video on the application of the waterproofing material they plan to use, so you are somewhat familiar with what it's supposed to look like, and how it's supposed to be done.

You know, and we all know, that company doesn't have a crew that can do a good job. But the sooner you jump through the hoops to fire them, the better.

You might want to let the company know you've posted their name on a very public forum, and there are thousands of folks who will see this thread when they google Best Buy Flooring. They might want to consider that before sending out some more terrible subs.

Don Barnhart thanked Mrs. S
  • Eileen
    5 years ago

Should RedGard go to the ceiling in a tiled shower?

Don Barnhart thanked Eileen
  • geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

Is that cement board? I looks like drywall. I can't believe they were so cheap that they only used RedGuard on the bottom 3/4's of the shower.

To me the entire job is suspect. If they did this horrible job on the walls - what about the shower pan. Did they do a flood test? How is the curb built, etc.

It all needs to come out.

An experienced tile person needs to do the job. Not some plumber or carpenter or laborer.

Don Barnhart thanked geoffrey_b
  • kudzu9
    5 years ago

geoffrey-

Agree on the wall surface. Hard to tell what it is. Might be greenboard, but it doesn't look like what should be there: backer board.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Certainly looks like paper faced to me, especially where the Redguard is "peeling".

Don Barnhart thanked millworkman
  • Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So just to add more humor to this nightmare...we have holes that they put in when they did the 1st remodel and they tried to cover up...

3rd picture is the drywall that they didn't seal...

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

Don-

OMG!

• cpartist
    5 years ago

It just gets worse and worse

• adawn5
    5 years ago

This needs to be nominated to some kind of top 10 list for nightmare tile jobs...along with this old gem I still have nightmares about (be sure to scroll down through all the pics): https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2286875/nightmare-contractor-tile-job

Don Barnhart thanked adawn5
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

Yes the base is also a fail. Not wanting to add to your stress but your photo appears to show particle board. Do verify that it is not. Particle board must be removed as it can not be a component of any tile assembly.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    5 years ago

Is it necessary to add that I see the liner nailed on the top of the curb? New technique, perhaps? lol.........

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

Avanti-

No, that's an old technique used by people who flunked out of Waterproofing 101... ;-)

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

Looks like an art project. Sorry, but in all seriousness, happy it's going back to the studs (or more) and don't forget to hold them to industry standards (see our previous post). And keep the humor and perspective.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

I see the black and white hexagon mosaic... did they install the tile over the top of that? I am not a tile pro but oh my goodness...

It is best that you are standing your ground and fixing this. A little pain now will save you from a load of pain and expense later!

Let us know the outcome...

• Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So it's taking forever and I want to THANK YOU all for your support, insight and ideas. The new crew has been working hard tearing out everything and redoing it. So far, it's slow but better...tile begins tomorrow :)

• Don Barnhart
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Always and thanks in advance!!!

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Good that you are having the shower enclosure redone, but. Did they tape all those joints before applying that topical waterproofing as the two pictures appear to show no they did not? What is that waterproofing?

• blubird
    5 years ago

Aren’t they waterproofing above the tub, too?